Gallo Purchases Pahlmeyer

Was just reported by wine spectator. I’m certain they’ll be plenty more details to come shortly.

Wow, the big guys are on a tear, buying up everybody.

Here’s the info…
AD673014-4A88-4B4C-BF5C-98AB2171DEB5.jpeg

Well, that frees me up to drop Pahlmeyer.

I have a ‘just say no to Gallo’ policy.

As time goes on, I’m less and less shocked by any of these acquisitions. If the grapes are still grown by world class farmers, the wines still made by world class winemakers and the wine is still excellent, I don’t really care what the parent company does. Case in point Siduri. Fruit source and wine making is still on point and are owned by a mega company. Hard work paid off the the Pahlmeyer’s.

Production will quadruple, no doubt. The Pahlmeyers did a great job establishing the brand, and it fits perfectly with Gallo’s push to acquire luxury brands and move upmarket

Met Jayson Pahlmeyer many years ago at a tasting for international importers for a variety of countries. It was a little slow and he told me the story of how his winery went from operating out of his bedroom to a big time operation in about 18 months time. I assume most, if not everyone here knows the story so I won’t bother (it involves the movie Disclosure if you are not aware) going into it. This was 2001, maybe 2002 (it was the year the Bucs won the Super Bowl) and he seemed like a genuine guy who caught an incredible break and made the most of it.

Doubtful for Pahlmeyer label, I’d expect an uptick in Jayson.

They didn’t buy this to dilute it.

First Orin Swift, now Pahlmeyer.

It’s always the great ones that are eaten first.

i met him years ago in the parking lot of mustards. his bentley had bullet holes in the drivers door and he said he had just returned from a trip to oakland…
then he told us they were just decals because his grandkids thought it was funny
used to love the wines

Haven’t thought about those wines in years. I remember them fondly and can’t remember why I stopped drinking them.

There are [meta-] Darwinian aspects to this behavior which are pretty damned horrifying.

Lately I’ve been reading a lot about the history of bidness, and I don’t know what the hell these families are thinking when they sell out to Evil Inc, although often it seems to involve siblings fighting over an inheritance.

Or children who are so damned solipsistic that they refuse to step up to the plate and preserve the family bidness.

I’ve actually had a few Pahlmeyer merlots in the last year or two. Definitely in the big, plush, well-oaked Napa style, but not off the deep end. Because they’re merlot, the tariff is more moderate than buying the cab. They’re good and fun when you have the mood and/or company for that kind of wine.

that is sort of funny … I had already stopped buying Pahlmeyer by 2002.

I understand that viewpoint, as well.

I also dropped a winery membership because they destroyed some wetlands.

Jayson is a good friend of my brother in Hawaii. Guess he’ll be buying dinner next time

Nope, that won’t happen. Gallo is very smart.

Gallo aint that bad…

+1. I have a just say no to big conglomerates in the US policy, which means I have to add Pahlmeyer to Schrader, Outpost, Siduri and probably a few others. Pretty soon there will be nothing left for me to buy, which will make me much wealthier.

I have no problem with the sale. The owner was entitled to do what he wanted with his winery. I am likewise entitled to do what I want with my money, and if that happens to be to shift my dollar allocations to Berserkerday participants, that’s just fine. I had an excellent Sandler pinot last night that I got on Berserkerday that was not from Gallo!