A night with Alfert....

…or what I’d imagine he’d serve.

Hadn’t had a dinner and a glass of wine with my wife as we now have a 4 week old in a while, been a dry 11 months for her.

Decided to pseudo-celebrate her birthday we missed in July tonight with some Flannery Reserve New York steaks, roasted broccoli and red potatoes and a 1986 to celebrate her birthday while pregnant.

Served 2 Alfert specials…

1986 Les Carmes Haut Brion, Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux Almost fully resolved, with a mouthful of cassis, black cherry, saddle leather, dried roses, dried basil and forest floor. Never fell off…random auction buy for wife’s birth year as an OWC was $240…glad I have 11 left.

1994 La Fleur de Gay, Pomerol, Bordeaux I think I bought these from Premier Cru, solely because I loved Conseillante 1994 and 95/96 outshined this year in terms of recognition. Dried blueberry, tobacco, currant and dried lavender intermingle on a palate that has resolved tannin, touch of cedar and a plush mouthfeel.

Cheers, Kris

champagne.gif Congratulations, Kris,

On the newborn! Sounds like some nice wine. (Alfert isn’t always wrong, just a little monotonous :slight_smile:)

Cheers!

Bitch, I’m like a blast of Victorian enlightenment! champagne.gif

I’m not sure whether I should be honored, or just a little creeped out that Kris - my wife’s name is Chris, incidentally - is thinking about me during this period of celibacy!

And yes, I like these wines very much, at least the older models! I was bummed this week to learn that a small cache of 2000 Les Carmes i ordered many months ago went unfilled. That sucked. Have never had the 86, so thanks for the note!

And congrats on the new baby. So very cool.

“oh, the places you’ll go” . . . bon voyage to all of you !

Wow, a case of LCHB for only $240???
Great buy!
That’s basically buy 3 get 9 free. Lol

Interesting angle as that hadn’t crossed my mind…simply, trying those wines made me think you’d enjoy them…not bruiser vintages, but very nice mid-weight wines.

Fear of 3rd child drives my celibacy, nothing else needed!

I gave the start of this thread a 100% chance Alfert would go full narcissist. Took only 2 posts for my dreams to come true.

I was actually MORE surprised the author of a thread entitled ‘A night with Alfert’ wasn’t started BY Alfert, frankly.

Kris, congrats on the newborn! Cause for celebration, to be sure! Even if you theme it after you-know-who

Well duh, it would have been rude, and hurt Kris’ feelings, not to have responded!

:wink:

You have a heart of gold, that is certain.

Imagine the disappointment in his child’s feelings if you hadn’t! Crisis averted!

“Dreamy” was how I assumed someone would reply.

Kris congrats.

Corey hasn’t chimed in yet.

PS. If you like this style of Les Carmes, the 2010 is excellent and generally available. The 2012 vintage is when the style changed.

Just noticed you picked up the case of Les Carmes for $240! When?

I have an open invitation to Alfert
Come taste a vertical 1984 to 2010 Sociando Mallet in Copenhagen and spend the night in our old house
But he is reluctant…
Of course there is 8 hours flight :sunglasses:

You know, they know what causes that now. Celibacy is not really required

“A night with Alfert…”

I was sure this thread would be about a million dollars and double headed coin.

Plus a game of billiards. I’m a shark.

You are awesome!

I was 100% sure that post would simply pass like a ship in the night.

Three cheers to you! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Not gonna lie, that thread title intrigued and frightened me…

Maybe 6 or 8 months ago at Heritage auction with OWC. Little more after premium, looks like I was off $20, it was $260 it was $317 with premium and $360 all in shipped.

That sad thing is, now I cannot get the mushy Sade song out of me head. About to crank some Linkin Park.