TNs: All Italian Wines at Grappa Restaurant in Toronto

Berserkers,

Fellow board member Ross Morrison organized an Italian themed wine dinner at Grappa restaurant on the southwest side of Toronto (www.grapparestaurant.ca) this past Friday evening. This was my first visit to it and it was a fabulous experience. It’s very much a classical old school Italian restaurant with amazing food and great service. We picked a very busy night with a full house with many couples and families dining as well as us along with two birthday celebrations happening.

This was not a Toronto Wine Elitist Cabal ™ event, it was all Ross’ shindig and his core group most of whom I’ve met previously at fellow board member Dylan Provencher’s events. I was merely crashing as the token straggler but I’m more than happy to co-opt everyone into TWEC ™. Attending beside Ross and myself were Peter, Bill, Walter, Glenn, Darcy, Chris and Lianne, most of whom I believe are on the board as well.

The wine theme was Italian wines with a trio of showcase flights generously donated and put together by the attendees: a Barolo/Barbaresco flight, a Barbera D’Alba flight and an all 2001 Brunello di Montalicino flight. We also had a mini-Champagne flight to start and a dessert wine flight to end as well for our bookends.

Ross and the restaurant worked together to expertly pair off a 7 course dinner to match the wines. As such, instead of tackling the wines and food separately as I usually do in my reports, I’ll tackle each flight, it’s course, and their effect on each other as we go. A huge thank you and shout out to the floor and kitchen staff at Grappa for putting this all together and to Ross for organizing. You might want to grab a nice glass of a wine and a snack or two yourself for this one. Here we go:

STARTER FLIGHT: CHAMPAGNE
COURSE: HOUSE BREAD BASKET WITH HUMMUS AND CARPACCIO

BARON FUENTE 2009 BRUT CHAMPAGNE
– 45% Chardonnay, 40% Pinot Meunier, and 15% Pinot Noir blend. Rich baked apple and brioche nose. Texture is heavy on cream and Peter notes the larger perlage with big bubbles. Really strong cream and baked brioche flavors supported by sweet baked apples underneath. This was almost like drinking an apple strudel. Peter did note that due to the larger perlage, our glasses were going flat really quickly in comparison to the Lanson. Ross notes that it punches above its weight and price and gives very good value.

LANSON 2005 GOLD LABEL BRUT CHAMPAGNE – I told everyone at the table that this was the 2007 but in fact it was the 2005 I had brought. I should probably read the label on my own wine next time. 49% Chardonnay and 51% Pinot Noir blend. :stuck_out_tongue: In complete contrast to the above, this was light in texture and Chris immediately noted the citrus on the palate which is correct, this has very bright, chalky and acidic white grapefruit flavor supported by a touch of baked apples and brioche. Really clean on the palate. Delicious stuff and I adored this.

We started with a bread basket filled with a crusty white loaf and a delicious jalapeno cornbread served with a side of fresh hummus. The cornbread was delicious and everyone devoured it.

Our first course following was a carpaccio of dry-cured beef with field greens and parmiggiano-reggiano.

This flight ended up being a classic example of what I consider the two Champagne styles prevalent in the wine world today: The rich style which focuses on baked fruit and brioche flavors and a creamy texture versus the racy style which focuses on citrus flavor and a pristine clean mouthfeel which I always refer to as a crystalline texture. I very much favor the latter style and worship at the altar of Louis Roederer Cristal Champagne because of it but I certainly enjoy the richer style as well. It was really fun seeing and hearing who preferred which Champagne, particularly when the floor manager came around to pour seconds for whoever wished and of those of us who did, half took the Baron Fuente again and the other half including myself took the Lanson. I much preferred the Lanson but agree with Ross that the quality and QPR value of the Baron Fuente is very high.

Interestingly, I found that the baked apple fruit in both sparklers was really magnified when paired with the jalapeno cornbread especially. The carpaccio didn’t match the wines so much as it was cleansed from the palate by the champagnes.

SECOND FLIGHT: BAROLO/BARBARESCO
COURSE: SEAFOOD WITH COGNAC SAUCE

LA GANGHIJA 2010 BARBARESCO
– A very fresh Barbaresco with red berries, cherries, and the tell-tale anise/black licorice flavor on the palate and turpentine on the nose. Tannins are strong on this one and it absolutely needs food to pair with.

BROVIA 2004 BAROLO – A little more austere than the La Ganghija. The extra age has softened the tannins a bit more but they’re still quite present. Much more persistent finish.

MAURO MOLINE 2003 BAROLO – Similar to the Brovia, this was restrained but extremely well balanced between the soft fruit and the tannins, I’d argue a touch more than the Brovia. Everyone else seemed really surprised that this was good and I don’t have enough knowledge to understand why so Ross and Peter explained to me that 2003 is historically considered one of the worst Piedmont vintages of all time due an insane heat wave that swept Italy during the growing season which of course would be disastrous for a grape as delicate as Nebbiolo. That knowledge pushes this wine up from pretty good to an achievement.

Our pairing was a delicious seafood medley in Cognac cream sauce which included large tiger shrimp, mussels, baby squid, and king crab leg. Many of us including me were openly questioning how this dish was going to work with the red wines, particularly raising an eyebrow at the Cognac sauce. Turned out to be a wonderful match. The seafood and sauce really tamed the tannins and brought the red fruit underneath in all three wines. Color me surprised but this was thoroughly enjoyable as a pairing with this flight.

I should note that we accidentally opened and poured the 2012 Aldo Conterno Barbera with this flight and we all put our glasses aside before properly returning to the Barolo/Barbaresco flight as soon as it was made clear but I did manage to preview it and as you’ll see in my next note set, I was completely blown away.

THIRD FLIGHT: BARBERA D’ALBA
COURSE: RACK OF LAMB WITH FAMILY STYLE ROASTED VEGETABLES

ALDO CONTERNTO 2012 BARBERA CONCA TRE PILE – Right, so this was the wine we accidentally opened and served in the flight above. I took one sip and was just blown away. This was quite literally my first take ever at Barbera D’Alba and it was a total epiphany. The last two times that ever happened to me were the first time I ever tried icewine and the first time I had an aged Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc. Deep purple color, rich plum and blackberry fruit, perfectly balanced. Drinking great.

LA SPINETTA 1999 BARBERA D’ALBA GALLINA – To put this wine in context, just before we all got to tasting it, Peter was just explaining to me how Barbera is meant to be drunk within 5 years or so. Sort of like the Italian version of Beaujolais. And then this mind-blowing wine does away with that theory! Rich and powerful yet sublime at the same time if at all possible, this has extremely rich red fruit flavor, particularly blackberry, but an incredibly smooth texture. Tannins are completely integrated to the point of non-existence. Raves went around the table for this one and an easy WOTN.

G.B. BURLOTTO 2015 BARBERA D’ALBA AVES – It’s sort of hard to distinguish the three youngest Barberas as they were so close to each other and admittedly following in the shadow of the 1999. This one seemed to disappoint a lot of people at the table. I think everyone was expecting more out of this. It has red fruit and nice texture and is obviously fresher but surprisingly not as potent as the 1999 or even the 2012 before it. It’s just sort of there.

LUCIANO SANDRONE 2016 BARBERA D’ALBA – This is more like it, very expressive in the red fruit. I get a touch of the tannins on this one for the first time in all the Barberas but they are smooth and nowhere near like what they are in the Barolos.

BRUNO GIACOSA 2017 BARBERA D’ALBA – The best of the three youngest Barberas, my comment to Peter is that this will become in the future what the 1999 is today. All the stuffings are there to accomplish it. Maybe not as expressive as the Sandrone above but superbly balanced. That settles it, I’ve got a Barbera d’Alba problem now.

Our course consisted of the most insanely perfectly done racks of lamb that Chris in particular raved over and rightly so. In fact, he seemed somewhat jealous as he declared that he cooks lamb all the time and can’t get it anywhere near as good as what we had. This led us to scheme to ask the chef to visit our table so that we could all pick his brain for his recipe secrets. Along with the lamb, we shared a couple of platters of roasted potatoes and rapini. This was perfect with the Barberas, extending their finish and bringing out a surprisingly high sweetness out of the wines. They all tasted almost liqueur like when paired with the lamb.

FOURTH FLIGHT: BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO
COURSE: BEET AND FETA SALAD

VAL DI SUGA 2008 BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO
– Classic Brunello with stewed red fruit compote and a touch of heat and spice. Interestingly, I’ve always considered Brunello to be a “heavy” wine compared to its much lighter Barolo counterpart but this seemed downright delicate coming right after the supremely rich Barberas.

FRESCOBALDI 2013 CASTELGIOCONODO BRUNELLO DI MONTACINO – Much riper red fruit compote flavors and I believe Bill and Peter mentioned that they were getting meat flavors. I started picking a bit of dried meat as well. think this is what drinkers refer to as classic ‘leather’ flavors in Brunello.

Our course was a large bowl salad of field greens with yellow and red beets topped with shredded feta and dressed in a mustard vinaigrette. I thought it was a bit too much when the bowls were served to us, but as soon as I started eating and drinking the Brunellos, I actually ended up wolfing down the plate. Then I looked around the table and saw that everyone else did too! The wines really become more saline with the salad and compliment it well almost as if they were part of the salad dressing itself.

FIFTH FLIGHT: 2001 BRUNELLO DI MONTACINO
COURSE: TAGLIATELLE PORCINI BOLOGNESE

CUPANO 2001 BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO
– This entire flight was a generous bring as 2001 is considered one of the greatest Brunello vintages before the acclaimed 2010 vintage. Extremely mellow and well-balanced. Almost sweet.

20191122_214339.jpg
BANFI 2001 POGGIO ALLE MURA BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO – This one lacked a little vibrancy compared to the other 01s. It seemed to lack a bit of acidity to me.

20191122_214356.jpg
SAN FELICE 2001 CAMPOGIOVANI BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO – More black cherry and I noted a touch of Umami. Came across like an old Bordeaux to me. Second best of the 01s for me.

20191122_214521.jpg
FULIGNI 2001 BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO – Fruit is much more vibrant than the other 01s and Peter and I both thought this was the best of the 01s.

20191122_214616.jpg
Our course was a Tagliatelle Bolognese that was, BY FAR, and notice my capital emphasis there, the single best pasta with tomato meat sauce I have ever had in my life at any restaurant ever. LOTS of flavor and peppery heat in this. We just scarfed this down and it made us all even more determined to meet the chef and steal his recipes.

20191122_223315.jpg
And so at this point just before dessert, Chef Ravi did indeed grace our table with a visit. That’s right, Ravi. Some of the best Italian food in Toronto is made by an Indian chef. Wanna make something of it? He spoke to us briefly and gave Chris some tips on making lamb but suspiciously and conveniently demurred on the Cognac sauce recipe and claimed that one of his sous-chefs was responsible for the delicious Bolognese sauce. Thus, his recipes remain a trade secret. The comment he left us with that really struck a chord was that he told us that he cooks the way all cooking should be done – from his heart. Not from his brain. A very nice little visit.

SIXTH FLIGHT: DESSERT WINES
COURSE: TIRAMISU

CAPPELLANO BAROLO CHINATO
– Barolo Chinato was invented by Giuseppe Cappellano family in 19th Century Italy. Really easy tasting note here. Imagine a really good eggnog. Best one you’ve ever had. Now imagine it again made with late harvested Nebbiolo instead of cream, eggs and milk but with the exact same flavors. That’s what you’ve got here. Sweet and complex, the stewed cherry flavor is heavily accented by the spice mixture of which sweet nutmeg particularly stands out. These are extremely contradictory flavors which is precisely what makes the wine so unique. This is a standout to me but Barolo Chinato is definitely an acquired taste and I could see a number of people were gravitating more to the second sweet wine which was –

20191122_225322.jpg
BERTANI 2008 RECIOTO DELLA VALPOLICELLA – Still very fresh, with vibrant sour cherry flavors, surprisingly high acidity, and a nice touch of cocoa. Not as sweet as you’d think it might be, on a late harvested wine level. Body is also quite light in comparison at a mere 13.5% ABV as most other Reciotos I’ve had actually hit 16% ABV and higher.

20191122_225723.jpg
Our last course was a classic Tiramisu. This was perfect as I found it paired well with the spice in the Barolo Chinato and the chocolate in the Recioto.

20191122_225714.jpg
Another shout out and thank you to all the staff at Grappa, as they provided outstanding service and attentiveness on an insanely busy night. It was actually funny in that the table started to feel a little bad due to how hectic it was for the staff and there were a couple of times where we even tried to help relieve them a bit by pouring the flights but whenever we tried suddenly somebody was right there.

The evening was outstanding. Service was just great and the food was outstanding. I definitely want to go back. But as someone at the table said towards the end of the night, the only thing better than the food and the wine was the great company we were keeping. Amen to that thought. Looking forward to dining and drinking with everyone again.

20191122_235732.jpg

Fantastic notes Tran! Well done. Thank you for posting (My note taking abilities peaked several years ago and have since diminished to: good, great, not great, drink, hold and for very special bottles… YUM). You captured the evening very well on all fronts, with good points along the way. Good comment on the two styles of Champers. It WAS very clear that the table was split when it came to which they preferred for second pours. That highlighted the advantage of not pouring out the whole bottle on the first pass - people get seconds on the one they enjoy most… All the reds were enjoyable to me, but the flight I got the most out of in terms of insight was the Barbera. For the better quality Barbera (And aged in wood vs. steel) the better examples really start to shine after 6-8 years and can age much longer. It’s only been the last couple of years that I started paying more attention to Barbera and this was a chance to compare some at different ages and see which producers I prefer. I concur with your take on the younger ones; the Sandrone was more immediately appealing with its fragrant nose and fresh fruit, spice but the Giacosa was the more balanced and one I look forward to revisiting with some significant age. As for the Chinato, it does seem to be a wine that either people really like it or don’t - not much between. I love it, the freshness of the fruit (Incredible given that they start with 10 yr old Barolo) plus the spices and quinine. It was good to have the Bertani Recioto to complement the Chinato, delicious and good to have something for those who don’t especially favor the Chinato.

Food and service at Grappa was wonderful, especially given how busy they were and the number of bottles we went through. Best part of the evening was being able to do this with such a great group of friends!

Nice notes. You have now inspired me to take a trip to Toronto and eat at Grappa. Just curious, what is the corkage policy? I have a 2000 Giacosa Red Label that needs a good occasion to open.

Always good to have visitors to Toronto Dennis, and it’s a good occasion to put a dinner together. Opening a red label would make any dinner a special occasion - love Giacosa. I don’t recall the exact corkage rate at Grappa but they are quite reasonable. I’ve been dining there for quite some time.

As much as I am inclined to tell everyone what really happened, I would like to congratulate Tran on his spot on synopsis and leave it up to (the missing in action) Mike Grammer to tell the truth.

I was wondering if aging Barbera would add an additional layer of complexity. It certainly improved the balance and texture of the 1999 La Spinetta Gallina but I was missing the presence of tertiary notes. This could be just justice to exemplary storage conditions and additional research is certainly indicated.

IMHO all 2011 Brunellos showed fairly young. This however is of course reflecting my personal preference. They were still delicious, with Fuligni in the clear lead.

A lovely evening indeed.

Really well done, everyone. Tran, incredible notes. Ross, it sounds like it was an incredible evening. Sorry I had to miss it for a concert. The concert was also incredible, but the wine they served at the venue, not so much. :joy: