so who still gets wine spectator? and why?

just got yesterday’s mail and in it the latest ws issue. i don’t remember if i re-up every year or it’s automatic, and i’m not quite sure if i really like it anymore.
but here it is. big picture/ad for the wagners etc etc
so who’s still in?

I get it because it seems to keep showing up for free.

Free here too…

Free here too. There has also been many posts regarding this same topic over the years and people either hate it, get it for free or read it at their dentist’s office.

anyone know why we get it for free?

How are you getting it for free?

free.

Value pricing.

Every time I try to cancel, I’m offered another year for $2. Happens with other magazines too. They have to keep their circulation up to justify the advertising rates.
My wife says cancel anyway, because most of the issues never get read.

Miles

I like it for the reviews of various areas to travel to, not for the wine recs. I do not pay either, not sure how that worked out.

I subscribed to Wine Enthusiast a couple of years ago when they had a deal of about $8 for two years. It was not a good deal.

I get it because someone leaves it on my desk every once in a while in my office. It has no mailing label and I do not know who is my benefactor. I enjoy it, but I would not voluntarily get it because I spend too much time on wine.

Well…I still subscribe (full tariff). Every year when I re-up, I feel so unclean.
I’ve subscribed since Vol1#1, back when it was a tabloid newspaper published by BobMorrisy down in SanDiego. Even wrotea about a dozen articles for Bob.
Like my Playboy subscription, I buy it for the articles. Maybe in each issue I’ll find 1-2 articles worth reading. Their recommendations…pffftt!!
But I sure do miss TheSuck. He was always good for a few laughs.
Tom

Duplicate…

If anybody wants it for free I get mine from Rewardsurvey.com and have for years. You answer a couple of dumb questions about a product and can pick out free mags. Some want to lock you in with auto renewal so they charge .99 cents up front but WS never has.

I just did a survey and re-upped with WS, added whisky advocate, Food and Wine and Robb Report. SI is offered right now too as The selections change periodically it seems.

To Marks question, I enjoy it for a 15 minute read but wouldnt pay much to keep it.

I had United miles that were expiring so used them to get several magazines that I really do not want.

If I’m in the newsagent I’ll pick up a copy. It is an ok read. Don’t be too hard on it.

Because they make their money from advertising, and they need to guarantee a certain level of distribution to justify their ad rates.

Give-aways are the least valuable category of “subscribers,” but they still count for something. People who requested the publication are valued more highly, even if they are sent it for free. Paid subscribers, of course, are by far the most valuable to advertisers because they’ve demonstrated a desire to read the publication. (When circulation is audited, subscribers are divided into those three categories.)

Put another way: Most of you guys aren’t worth much. neener

However, these guys would be treated as having, at least, requested the magazine, and WS might even claim they paid because there was some consideration:

I ended my subscription in the late 1990s, lol. I know this will shock Corey and Todd to hear me say this, but I found it utterly pretentious, and of course, concluded The Suckles was a clown. And since Bordeaux was my region of preference, that was a fail. Pardon if this sounds jerkish, but I find the magazine profoundly lacking in interest to me. I don’t even pick it up when I see it in places like a doctor’s office. This website is much cooler! Read something from William Kelley or Keith Levenberg to see what quality writing entails.

Get ours using up odd lots of frequent flier miles.