TN: 2000 Vieux Chateau Certan, Pomerol

Black as pitch.

A blockbuster of a wine, just needs time. After this showing, I would not touch for another 5 years.

We decanted the VCC for about an hour - I should have double decanted from home as we ate at the club, which is pretty relaxed about how we bring bottles in - and the first glass was close to immutable. Took time to coax details out of the glass, but by the third glass, it was showing the promises of something great. Ripe dark fruits and spicey plums underscored by a vein of red fruit and acid. Some florals on the nose. Not showing too much tertiary characteristics just yet, but the palate was beautifully integrated, velvety, with some hints of leather, tobacco, wet tilled soil and bitter dark chocolate with sea salt. Still a structured wine but starting to soften. I really think this is too fine a wine to pop right now, defer that enjoyment!

(94 pts.)

C88D9414-2F8C-4676-9549-AB7C48601737.jpeg

Drats! I will never live long enough to enjoy my bottles! I knew i was right when i said back when 2000s were being offered that I was too old to buy 2000 Bordeaux.

Sounds great. I have a couple of bottles of the '98 stashed away. Have you tried that in recent years?

Sigh. Sounds like too many of the ~20-year-old wines in my cellar. Will we live to see tertiary aromas?

I have not, and it was 50/50 which I grabbed, and went with the 2000 mostly because I had more of it. I had another bottle of 2000 Magdelaine a couple weeks ago and came to the same conclusion, give it more time.

Robert is flying through these 2000’s…sir, if u have any 2000 Sociando…pop it, it’s a cracker.

2000 Sociando is great now.

98 is drinking great with an hour decanting. 2000 and 2005 are best left alone for the near future.

Thanks for the check-in, these will rest a while.

On the topic of 2000 Pomerols, anyone try a Conseillante lately?

It’s been an interesting check in with this really good vintage. And it’s been a range of wines from excellent to showing promise but not yet ready. The Crus and mid-tier wines are mostly quite open and many are delicious. The big boys really do need more time.

I may drop back now to a range of 1998s. Any ideas which may show best this weekend?

Conseillante
VCC
Trotanoy

??

Having dinner with a close friend and client.

Both 1998 VCC and Conseillante are drinking well.
Don’t have the Trot so can’t comment.
Prefer VCC even though it has room for further improvement.
Conseillante probably as good as it will get.

Yep.

1998 might be my favorite Sociando, but it’s been 10yrs since I had it