Dunnuck Top 100 2019

Since I know everyone here loves wine critics and their rankings deadhorse , what does everyone think of Dunnuck’s Top 100 of 2019? Top 100 Red Wines Of 2019 - JebDunnuck.com

I think he shares a love for big red wines that I do, and I’ve really enjoyed the wines I’ve had on this list, but I feel that his preference (or what he reviews) is very narrow, at least judging from this list. It’s hard for me to put too much faith in any top 100 list that completely omits Riesling.

I don’t think Jeb covers Mosel or Alsace to be fair and WA or CA Riesling, regions he reviews, shouldn’t be on this list

Well it is his Top 100 Red Wine list so maybe he didn’t like any of the red Rieslings he tried this year. [berserker.gif]

Whoops, you’re right! The one lighthearted thing I said to kind get the conversation going only proves that I cannot, in fact, read!

… allllthough, on his homepage and in the URL, the list is entitled “Top 100 Wines of 2019,” so I’m sure he just went back and changed the title after seeing my little Riesling jab… [oops.gif]

Hey it’s smart marketing. You get two top 100 lists! One for whites, one for reds.

And then you get the super duper top of the top 100 list - the best off both lists.

Not that it really matters. It’s almost a random list. Some of the wines are pretty good IMO, some not so much. I guess everyone has a top 100 list out now. There should be a forum for everyone on WB to set up their top 100.

Please no.

Wait, I can safely ignore it. Never mind, do as you wish.

Have only had his #14 Ronan By Clinet, which I found to be extremely over-oaked. He lists it at $30 but I only paid $12/bottle. He also has quite of few modern St. Emilion on this list - does he have a preference for oaky reds?

There are many wines on the list that I like, and more than a few that I’ve purchased, but I’d never use Jeb Dunnuk as a buying guide. I wish we could go back to reading wine writers choices as suggestions, not ratings. It took me a long time to accept that letting someone else judge wines for me is a break even game at the very best, and usually not that good.

For me, this really highlights how rarely his palate & mine align. The fact that he’d make a “Top 100 Red Wine” list is just silly to me. However, he’s also out there making a living following his passion, so kudos to him for that.

He has DDC listed as 2x more than normal price. Strange

I’d like a comparative analysis of his list’s average listed ABV to that of WS, WE, JS, etc.

Maybe he’ll pop in here and comment. He’s seems like a really good guy based on comments from lots of people that know him and he’s a berserker by any measure.

He seems to enjoy the bigger style wines, clearly, so he’s a good barometer for people after that style.

This thread is classic Berserker! I saw the list and have had very few of the wines. I was surprised that there were relatively few Washington reds on there, as he seems to really like them.

I take in to account JD’s reviews over every other wine critic! I have found over time that his palate is very similar to mine.

I think this reflects the law of ever increasing grade inflation.

I imagine he doesn’t lookup the lowest price for every wine on Wine-Searcher, and instead just notes the list price or the price from the winery.

I often see him praise a lot of big Paso Robles reds, which are often treated with a good amount of new oak, but not necessarily. One of the wines on the list that I’m familiar with and really enjoy is 2016 Epoch Veracity, which is “aged 17 months: 28% in concrete tulip and the balance in French oak barrels and puncheons (32% new).”

I like the list, thanks

Well, Realm the Bard should have been in the top 10 not #36

Anyone like No 1?
Wife does
Bet Alferts wife does too

Alfert’s wife loved the 2015 Chateau Pape Clemente blanc that I strategically popped for her and my mon, whilst pops and I devoured a 2000 Vieux Chateau Certan. Was a good night all around. Ended with Scotches, in the plural form.