TN: 2012 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco

Will we ever have a vintage where they don’t make the riservas again? Maybe '17, but who knows… This definitely shined tonight, the best bottle of PdB I’ve had in a while.

• 2012 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (12/4/2019)
    Just about hitting it’s stride for me, especially with food. Nose was open, showing some tertiary notes of soya, tobacco, and truffle, with sweet red cherry/strawberry and violets. With air it gave leather, hint of acetone, thyme, charcuterie, damp earth. Day 2 was even more focused and pretty, with sweet rosewater, red licorice, warm clay.

Palate was still quite youthful, tart with a some tannin. This was in a good spot for me as I like that structure, and it really sang with some protein. No rush on this as I felt like it may still be holding back a bit, but a pleasure to drink.

Sidebar: These wines are always such a shame as I enjoy them enough when young that I keep forgetting how they can develop.

Posted from CellarTracker

According to Aldo Vacca there will very likely be ‘17 Reservas. I tasted a tank sample of ‘17 Pora which was very promising.

I periodically dip into my reduced stash of ‘06 - most of which I drank too young. They are still a long way from peak to my palate. We’re around $30 if I remember correctly.

• 2012 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (5/8/2020)
    First of three bottles. Briefly decanted. Nose of dried cherries and cedar with a little dust. Palate is astringent with heavy tannins, but underpinned with good fruit. Finish is medium. This is a nice wine, but has not yet reached its peak. Suggest another look in 3-5 years, but probably best in 7-10. Good news is that fruit appears balanced with acid and tannins. (91 pts.)