Best Wine to Pair with Caviar?

I’ve heard that Champagne and caviar is a classic pairing, but is it really a great match?

My friend is going to be supplying some Osetra caviar (possibly both plain and on a blini w/ creme fresh) and wants me to bring a wine/Champagne to pair with it. I don’t really have enough experience with caviar, especially on its own, to be able to put this pairing together in my head, so what do you suggest? Champagne, and if so, what kind (e.g., young NV BdB, or an older, rich, complex vintage)? Unoaked Chardonnay? GG Riesling? Things I’m not even thinking of?

What’s your preference?

How about Muscadet? If it works with oysters it should work with caviar.

Yes, champagne is a perfect pairing. BdB probably gets the nod, but I’d do any as long as it’s dry.

Cristal is what I usually pair with caviar. 08 or 09 would both be great, or 00

BdB works best imho. Salon is perfect and if going all out with osetra why not. Krug Mesnil if you want to go to 11 :ok_hand:

Champagne is a classic pairing, and for good reason. It works. I agree that Muscadet would also work well.

The questions then become: what are the expectations about the price/quality level of the wine you’ll supply? And how wine-savvy is your friend?

Champagne and caviar! It has been a while, but my mouth waters just reminiscing about it. Champagne is the correct choice without doubt for a wine lover. The nutty, lemony, leesy things that Champagne brings pair fantastically with the nutty, briny and other wonders that caviar brings. Enjoy!!!

+1, this match up is outstanding. The depth of Muscadet/Melon de Bourgogne with caviar, ossetra in particular, is a treat.

Us non-balla’s down here in the bayou eat Choupique.

Yep, when I was down there I’d splurge with some Choupique and Delamotte BdB. Poor man’s Salon with Ossetra.

champagne.gif

Champagne
Vodka
Sake

Echoing some answers above

Muscadet
Cristal
Salon
BdB champagne
Taittinger Comtes
Philipponat Goisses
Ace of Spades Gold

I need to invite some of you guys over with your Cristal, Salon and Krug Mesnil!

The nicest bottles of Champagne in my budding collection (besides 1999 Couche Sensation, which I don’t think will work) is 2005 Taittinger Comtes, so I’ll probably take that or maybe a bottle of 2007 J Schram I have.

All of this talk is making me want to buy more Champagne though…

One of those was not echoed above…

Champagne - usually a BdB.

If no sparkler I would always choose an Austrian white, most probably a
Sauvignon blanc from Styria, maybe a Muskateller, also Styria.

So something good came of the thread.

I was going to pile on with the BdeB suggestion but I can’t believe I’ve never tried it with Muscadet. Sounds like a fantastic match.

I guess I drink Muscadet more often than I eat caviar :slight_smile:

BdB Grand Cru non dosage /extra brut

I can’t imagine a single situation in which I’d rather drink muscadet than champagne, certainly not with caviar. I’m sure it’s a fine pairing. But not as fine. That’s just me.

Your Comtes will be lovely. And yes, you should go buy more champagne. Just knowing there’s a bottle chilled at all times makes my days a bit brighter.

Do your friend by making some potato chips to bring in addition to the champagne. The Serious Eats recipe is good, but I modify it slightly, washing the potato slices before boiling in the vinegar water, then laying them out on paper towels and sticking them in the fridge for 30 minutes or so before frying. So good.

I wish I could add the photo, but my iPad doesn’t seem to allow me to paste it?

Here’s a shot of the chips and caviar.

Comtes
Dom Ruinart BdB

Slightly less baller: 2009 Louis Roederer & Philippe Starck Brut Nature