Caymus 2018 Cabernet on the shelf - 13.9%

I was at the market today and saw the 2018 Caymus Napa Cabernet sitting on the shelf, for $80-something. I was mostly surprised to see a pricey 2018 Napa Cab already on retail shelves. I don’t even know of that many 2017s in that price category that are released yet. Just quickly looking at a few comps, I don’t think Phelps, Cakebread or Montelena have released their 2017 or 2018 “regular” Napa cabs yet.

But upon picking it up, I was far more surprised to see 13.9% alcohol on the label, which seems to fly completely in the face of the style that has made that wine so popular among civilians (and so controversial among geeks). There are two notes on CT, an 87 and an 89. The former described it as “thin and even a bit bitter.”

Anyone know the story there? Is it because of the vintage, or are they trying to adjust their style, or what?

[quoteAnyone know the story there? Is it because of the vintage, or are they trying to adjust their style, or what?][/quote] I doubt adjusting the style. While I can’t stand the stuff a ton of people are always excited to see Caymus at a big tasting and flock to that table.

Not surprising that Wagner is already releasing 2018

The greed that the Wagners continue to exhibit is striking.

I’m glad it’s out now, that way I can start not drinking it sooner!

Hey Anton, Let’s not drink one together.

Maybe we can do one of those deals where someone donates $5 to charity for photos of people not drinking Caymus. champagne.gif

My point actually wasn’t to pile on Caymus (though I’m not a fan), I just found it striking that they’re releasing a wine so early and that it’s a 13.9% cabernet. Feels like there must be some story there.

Or maybe it’s the vintage? Was 2018 some vintage when the grapes wouldn’t ripen in Napa, or when the weather forced early harvesting?

I better look and see, perhaps someone invented new fast acting Ultra Super Mega Purple?

I hear they already have to 2020 ready to pour.

Alcohol levels on wine labels are usually not as precise as people seem to think. Could be in this case, I don’t know. But 13.9% screams of a producer wanting to have an answer for people who think 14+% is too high.

And the great Irony of all of this is well known to all of us who drank Caymus back in the day. The Special Selection was on wood for up to 3 years, I remember buying the 1985 in 1990 or 1991, when it was first released. I heard a rumor that the Lake County Safeway had 6 bottles at $50 per and I drove two hours each way to get them. I still have an 86 - maybe I’ll pop it this weekend!

Yes!

Release day used to be around February first and they were one of the last wineries to release a vintage!!

We aren’t far apart…someday we will break corks. [cheers.gif]

Not sure exactly why it is “not surprising”. Although certainly not the norm, I will say that I have received (via “mailing list” offers) about 80% of the 2017 Cabs that I plan on purchasing. In addition, I have also already received 2018 Zin and Syrah from Bedrock, so there are wineries that move product fairly soon after bottling. Perhaps it is more of an issue with cash flow or available storage space - I imagine that Caymus Cab is produced in a very large case volume? Early release is really not that much different than purchasing futures that won’t be shipped for another year. Anyway, lots of things could contribute to an early release. Cheers!

PM Sent. An old Caymus Offline?

But the people screaming that 14% is too high are not the people buying Caymus. Quite the opposite. Maybe they picked early so they could bottle and sell before anyone else. Lol. Honestly though I’m more inclined to try this bottle of wine than any Caymus in years. Thin and bitter for Caymus sounds like it might be middle of the road!

The only thing contributing to a 2018 release of Caymus is the Wagners’ desire to crank out as much wine as possible as fast as possible. Look, I’m a staunch capitalist, but I’m nit interested in buying the crap they are churning out these days

Hey Anton, Let’s not drink one together.

I will drink this wine at the next fall tasting in 2020 in Minneapolis. People will flock to the table to taste and exclaim how great it is and I will give it maybe 84 points if it is more balanced than last year’s vintage.

I will not drink to that.

Joe…that’s great. Because as I recall you’ve got a bunch of 2012 Caymus and no one wants to drink that. You are alone w your Caymus.

Perfect!

Not drinking Caymus with you is one of my aspirations!

I unfortunately do have about 12-14 bottles of caymus left. 3 750ml and 3 1000ml 2012 bottles which I will probably sell when the 50th anniversary comes out. I opened a 2015 or 16 about a week ago and it was close to undrinkable. I do own a few 2011, 2010, 2009 bottles which are actually nice though.

Anyways, I would be happy to either not drink a 2012 with you or drink one prior to 2012 with you or Anton.