TN: 2016 Cadence Ciel du Cheval Vineyard (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain)

• 2016 Cadence Ciel du Cheval Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain (12/14/2019)
    Decanted 6 hrs. All the trademark Cadence aromatics are well represented, violets, cocoa, sweet black cherry and a little earthy tones for balance. Unlike the 15 CdC, this is drinking very well out of the gate. Even better, I’m not sure if its vine age or Ben is just honing in on his craft, but there was a buoyancy that I haven’t felt in past vintages that really impresses. Yet, plenty of accessible fruit and other hedonistic qualities that made this shine with a bacon cheeseburger. As always, many good years ahead. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Dale - Tried CdC for the first time on trip to WW last fall and really enjoyed their wines. Another Walla Walla gem :slight_smile:

Nice TN…sounds tasty. I’m sure you’re aware of the last few years in our Washington State, from a growing season perspective. When you write, “…but there was a buoyancy that I haven’t felt in past vintages that really impresses…” my guess would be that, in part, it’s due to 2016 being a cooler vintage than the torrid 2014 and 2015 (if those are past vintages you’ve had). Even for a winemaker as astute as Ben, making wine from grapes that suffered in part from that scorching growing season would be tough. 2016 was far more moderate in heat and yielded consistently less “heavy” wines.

Phillip–just to be clear, the CdC vineyard is on Red Mountain, and the Cadence winery is in south Seattle, so not in any way a WW product. But excellent wine nonetheless.

AH yes, was thinking this was a blend from Cotes de Ciel, which is owned by the Holmes family who grows and supplies the grapes on Ciel du Cheval. They have a tasting room in WW.

Just tasted all four of the Cadence wines with Ben (he was pouring at the local shop). It’s a strong, open vintage, with nice typicity amongst the wines. The Ciel is currently open and showing nicely, as Dale has said. the Taptiel is very characteristic with that idiosyncratic cherry note that says “Red mountain” to me in any blind tasting. Both the Camerata and the Bel Canto are in good form and it’s hard to choose between the two, both a clear step up from the first two wines. I get the feeling that it will be a very good, friendly vintage for drinking early/mid/late. FWIW the coolest vintages are still Ben’s favorites (2004 and 2011), and he thinks that the upcoming 2017 and 2019 vintages will be killers at his estate.

Enjoyed tonight, this was my first wine from Cadence. Really great wine, we both found it very Bordeaux like. Drinking very well right now, no decant.

Thanks for the early look at 2016 vintage. That being said, it will be at least another 10 years or so before I start thinking about pulling corks on any of my 2016 Cadence SVD stash…

.Michael