TN: 2009 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon CCS Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard

Since I was on the fence with the 2018 Schrader release I decided to open a 2009 to test the waters. For an off vintage this wine is really nice. I also have no will power and full-filled my 2018 Schrader allocation (including some wish list) :confused: [truce.gif]

• 2009 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon CCS Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (12/14/2019)
    Bought on release, stored professionally. Decanted for 2 hours before the first pour. The nose was very floral from the start with with a full bodied aroma of classic dark blackberry and cassis. At 2 hours the nose softened while maintaining a richness hinting a quite robust but not overpowering wine to be savored. The first pour at 2 hours was excellent but not spectacular. The notes were all there but they hadnā€™t fully evolved. Everything about the wine was quite enjoyable (soft velvet on the mouthfeel, rich deep dark black cherry on the palate with a long finish) but not of the calibre you come to expect from a Schrader. At hour 3 she began to open up. Interestingly (for me) the nose never shined as bright later as it did out of the bottle and in the early hours. A great nose on a wine is my personal bias and the nose out of the gate was fabulous but dissipated and remained comparatively muted hours later. Regardless, the composition of the wine continued to grow by the hour achieving a rich taste, muscular body and long finish worthy of its reputation. The robustness of the wine with layered dark cherries that linger prominently really make this a wine to savor. Paired with a rib eye the wineā€™s soft leather finish added great texture to a wine that should hold together for 10 years (and beyond). The long decant really aided this wine tonight but I would wait 2-3 years before opening another 2009 Schrader unless you have plenty of time to decant well in advance. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

great tn
all my 09ā€™s are long gone
seems once again i drank 'em too fast

Since when is 2009 considered to be an ā€œoff vintageā€ in Napa?

I recall a strong split of experiences with Napa 2009s. The professional reviewers scored the vintages quite high, rivaling that of the 2008 but consumers, highlighted by many members on these boards, had very different and decidedly lower opinions on the vintage.

If anyone would like to disabuse me of this recollection I would welcome it.

Are peopleā€™s experiences in recent years as these wines come of age more consistent with the professional reviews on the vintage?

Thanks.

Tongue in cheek, but aside from 2000 and 2011 has any vintage in the last 20 years been tagged as a truly bad vintage? I know folks are cautious on 2017 with the fires. Personally, Iā€™ve had some very decent 2011sā€¦Roy Piperā€™s Cabernet is solid.

Thanks for the note. I have just one Schrader left in my cellar, and this is it. Maybe 2020 will see it opened, but doesnā€™t seem like I should be in a hurry.

On 2009 Napa - my understanding & experience is that itā€™s a very good vintage. Vinous rates it at 95, which ranks it among the better Napa vintages. Those bottles (um, quite a few per CT) Iā€™ve opened have been excellent, and theyā€™ve been across a pretty wide range of producers & price points.

A question I was about to ask as well until I noticed your post.