2016 Fontodi "Flaccianello" - RED RIESLING

2016 Fontodi "Flaccianello della Pieve"

I am stunned, I never had such a wild, fresh, vibrant, challenging and acidity-driven Flaccianello before. And this is in part related to the fact that for the first time 2% was aged in amphora?! In addition impressive fruit purity (red currant) combined with silky tannins. Huge aging potential. 100/100 by A. Galloni

This new direction towards freshness&finesse, balance and elegance pleases me. Chapeau, Signor Manetti.

IMG_0258.jpg
Salute,
Martin

P.S. Red Riesling is only a metaphor

I agree Martin
It is wild. Makes a unique expression
And price climbs to 100€ somewhere

hello,

Are you sure that it’s a red riesling ?
And not a chianti with sangiovese ?
:wink:

Francois

It’s made of 100% Sangiovese not being labeled as a Chianti but an IGT Super Tuscan wine.

What’s a red Riesling?

Of course Red Riesling doesn’t exist. I use sometimes this descriptor when a red wine shows so much acidity&freshness like a Riesling.

I assume the reference to “red riesling” was a metaphor, as this red wine struck Martin as being so fresh, vibrant and acid-driven. My guess.

I was told by a few here that “freshness” means acidity. What does freshness mean to you?

Oops, you beat me to it!

The wine sounds fantastic. My wine group loves Flaccianello, we are having it (not the 2016) this Tuesday.

YES, metaphor is the right word.

OIC.

I had '11 last year and it was such a beautiful wine. I’m keeping a few bottles of '13, '15 & '16 hoping for a little vertical experience in a few years. Cheers!

FWIW the 2004 is not ready yet IMO

Agreed. These wines take a very long time

Had the ‘07 in January with a 3+ hr decant. Definitely a more forward vintage for Tuscany and the wine was really in a great place, standing out among some very good competition.

Not that I care that much, but there goes my vertical unless I can buy it in Italy for less.

Yeah I had the 2011 several months ago as well, liked it very much but indeed quite useful. No regrets opening it at all

The same here; my dinner group drinks one every few weeks, most recently the 13 and the 15. So, these notes re the 16` are supportive of trying it win its youth as well. Thanks for the tip, red Riesling and all.

I agree with you gentlemen. I like the 2011 Flaccianello and it’s one of the best wines of that vintage. Happy to have loaded up on two cases, as the vintage represents good value relative to other vintages.

I now see my typo: “youthful” not “useful”.