why this auction bizot crazy?

https://www.klwines.com/Auction/Bidding/AuctionBidDetail.aspx?sku=1452855&searchId=a365ac17-4c98-4e43-9fa1-efb9e3d56fab&searchServiceName=klwines-prod-productsearch&searchRank=1

can anyone explain what is going on? having tried this very wine in addition to the 09 echezeaux, i can say neither is worth half that price.

It’s Vosne-ly money.

Entirely the work of two bidders, fwiw.

They don’t make much of the VV designate. Only 24 bottles of the 09 in cellar tracker. Only other bottles sold at auction went for $530. Sold at KL in July of this year. There is heavy buying of Bizot in Asia. Prices have gotten ridiculous.

Russian interference.

It’s only five-hundred dollars. Not like it’s five thousand. [snort.gif]

when i bought this four years back for about $70 it was priced slightly more than the regular vosne but quite a bit less than the jachees and reas so i don’t believe it is a rare bottling. on the other hand, the elise fermouche cuvee that he only makes in certain vintages is in fact something special. at any rate it is clear the bidders have very limited to no experience with the wines as up until a couple vintages ago they simply were not very dialed in. i also find it funny when people ask astronomical prices for late 90s arnaud ente which is before he completely changed his vinification style.

pricing aside, the 14 vosne village on winebid that has been sitting for weeks is most likely a vastly superior wine.

I brought a bottle of Bizot VV to an offline a few years back and thought it was pretty good - red fruited, spiced, elegant, but still with some fine but grippy tannins to work through. That said, I wouldn’t be spending $500 on it either.

For some reason, I was under the impression that 09 was the last vintage for VV as the vines had to be torn out after. But since cellartracker lists some subsequent vintages, and i cant quickly locate that info via google, I could be mistaken here.

I think it is also because this is the Vieilles Vignes bottling? IIRC the VV bottling stopped after the 2009 vintage, for a reason that I do not know. If you look at the 2014 CT entry, it says VV but the bottle pictures do not show the words VV. If you look at the other Bizot VR pictures throughout the vinatges, you will see the VV label stops after the 2009 vintage. Lastly it is probably about rarity since if you do a WS Pro search, the next price for the 2009 VV is in Hong Kong for $706 USD and that is the only bottle available aside form the one in the K&L auction.

Lastly the 2014 on winebid is not the VV bottling. It does defy reason but that is the wine world for you.

Deleted, Joel said much the same thing

Bizot wines are released by SAQ recently - since vintage 2013. They are very pricey - in my view . For examples : 2016 Vosne is at $ 214.75; Les Jachees at $ 342.75 and Ech at $ 644.75. they disappeared very fast.

I was very curious ,to try to buy it.

But now… thanks and no thanks ( and thanks to comments in post No. 1 of this thread )… [cheers.gif]

^i’d say if you can buy a current release vosne for $200 it would be worth trying once. the earlier vintages can have a lot of drying oak tannin that never fully integrates even after 10+ years in bottle. i feel they became much more seamless around 2012 and later even more so.

i guess he doesn’t make this bottling anymore according to kermit but it should be noted all of his parcels could be considered VV, jachees was planted in 1929! also interesting to note apparently he started blending all the leftover fruit for a new bourgogne cuvee (separate from chapitre). sounds similar to the pinoterie from prieure roch.

As Ryan said, the reason that this bottle is being bid up is pretty self explanatory.

The recent vintages of Marsannay are on another level.

There seems to be a tendency among a frustrating number of CT users to “upgrade” their wines by incorrectly choosing the fanciest possible designation when entering their wines. I’ve submitted numerous corrections for reserves, VVs, and other special designations for wines that have to be wrong because those vintages of those designations simply don’t exist.

“Only” $500, hell I’ll take a couple cases. pileon

It’s the ballers like you that make it hard for the rest of us to get our hands on anything! [wow.gif]

(Nose pressed against the window, looking into the money bubble.)

[training.gif]

Does he still make the VR 1er Les Treux (declassified Echezeaux)? I used to drink his wines all the time - they were inexpensive and an outstanding value. I don’t know if I ever paid more than $30 for the VR Jachees or VR 1er Treux (or the VR VV for that matter). I know it’s not news, but many Burg prices are crazy.