Help! Sachet Wine List - what to choose?

I’ve got dinner with a client this evening at Sachet in Dallas. Wine list is a bunch of stuff I don’t recognize. Any recommendations on reds or whites which could be crowd pleasers? No geeky stuff please. Thanks in advance!

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59126a681e5b6cb37472a000/t/5d111deaaf47aa000183309b/1561402861294/website+Wine.pdf

Musar

Sp68, produttori

Given that it might be the geekiest wine list I’ve ever seen:

Orange Sparkler
Klinec “Jakot Medana”Friulano, Goriska Brda, Slovenia 2014 NAT $75
[You have to start with an Orange Wine. I’ve never had this one, but I’m batting 1000 with Slovenian wines this year.]

Appertif/Salad White
Gavalas Assyrtiko, Santorini, Aegean Islands 2017 $64

Sipping Red
Argentiera “Villa Donoratico” Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, Tuscany 2016 $68

Big Red / Dessert Red [with chocolates]
Clos Mogador Garnaxa/Cariñena/Syrah, Priorat 2016 ORG $155

That lineup should move you from ultra-Geeky all the way through to fully-Parkerized.

I’ve been to this restaurant before. It’s a great spot for shared plates and the somm there (forget his name) really knows his stuff. Super enthusiastic and welcoming as well. I would consult him for recs, which worked out well for our group of 8 and I tried some new things at our visit. You should be in for a good time. Cocktails were tasty and interesting as well.

my recs:
White: Gauby “Les Calcinaires” Macabeu/Vermentino, Roussillon 2015 $48 - nicely priced and a food friendly wine
Red: Mogador 2016 $155 should be delicious if you’re willing to tolerate a very young wine; but to be honest, I’d go with whatever the somm suggests at your price point/group desire

Yeah, that list seems like it was curated by someone who put quite a bit of thought into the selections - would definitely ask the som for some stylistic comps and recs, especially if your client is into more “mainstream” wines.

Sp68 for sure

The Envinate is a nice option.

Thanks for all the suggestions. After asking the client what they liked, we ultimately ended up drinking two bottles of the Clos Mogador. Nice wine with potential, but too young. Somm, food, and service were all good.

Glad you had a good experience at the restaurant. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: That’s a nice bottle with far less than 100% markup. I would take issue with the description above of it being “Parkerized”. Maybe in the early 2000s, but a 2015 a few weeks ago was stunning and showed excellent cellar potential to my taste. Any thoughts?

Great choice. I’ve ended up drinking one or more bottles of Mogador there every visit. Flexible food-friendly wine, tons of complexity and a crowd favorite for wine geeks and non geeks alike.

It was good, but young. Not full bodied or Parkerized at all for my palate. My guess is another 5-10 years would greatly improve the wine.