TN: 2005 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges

2005 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges (12/18/2019)
Just barely starting to eke into maturity, with a decent dose of damp earth to accompany still fresh red fruit. The structure is still evident, even from half bottle, so more time is warranted.

Posted from CellarTracker

so more time is warranted.

Should be printed in small font on the label of every bottle Gouges produces [wink.gif]
Thanks for the check in. I’ve started dabbling in '05 village wines and posted on the R. Arnoux NSG last week that showed similar to your note here. [cheers.gif]

I am sure everyone is familiar of the style change from and including the 08 vintage.

Yes, the younger generation at Gouges has made some softer more approachable examples. I’m not sure the 05s qualify. The older labels might as well read: “might be mature and ready to drink in your lifetime”.

RT

I have a fairly long track record with Gouges and used to buy on the regular but I still have a decent cache. The 05 Gouges are surprising. The Clos des Porrets was eminently drinkable early on and has remained so. I have t had all of the crus but the Pruliers and LSG have shown quite well, if youthful, in the past couple of years. I have a large amount of ‘98s that go in and out but have never truly come up for air (hardly surprising given the intersection of vintage and producer). I opened a 2006 Pruliers the other day that was very, very weird. Smelled of smoked oysters and soy sauce and potted meat and desiccated vegetables. Youthful? Flawed? Funky as shit for sure but not easily identifiable. I can see some liking it. I have little experience with the post 2008 wines other than a couple of 2010s which, in fairness, may or may not be representative of a new approach. Simply tasting that vintage out of the context of the others around it and since probably doesn’t shed a ton of light on a new path. Still, I remain a fan despite odd or closed bottles. The reward to $ used to be incredibly high (a 1990 Clos sea Porrets several years ago was one of the best NSG wines I have had) but that, like much of Burgundy has seen a reorienting.

Time needed when I tasted the NSG Clos des Porrets St-Georges 2005 at the domain in 2009.

At the end of our visit, the NSG Les St-Georges 1958 turned out to be deliciously ready …

So no hurry to consume the ‘93 LSG then… [cheers.gif]

Gouges + 1993 … time is of course required …

The 98 Gouges LSG was fairly open and drinkable this week, but still on the rustic side. I’m not sure if more time would help or if the vintage characteristics would win out.

+1

Gouges + 1993 … time is of course required …

None are close to ready.

The 99 Porrets drank surprisingly well some months ago.