2016 Ch. Canon

"A wine of pure sophistication and polish“

A. Galloni

2016 Ch. Canon

Gorgeous. 75% Merlot + 25% Cabernet franc. Its all about finesse&freshness and ELEGANCE. The texture is mind-blowing, such polished.

Do your a favor and open a bottle in the coming days. Doesn’t need heavy decanting! Its on a beautiful stage right now.

97/100

IMG_0263.jpg
Merry Xmas,
Martin

I have a question for the Bordeaux experts here. Is this finesse&freshness in the 2016s just related to this outstanding vintage or maybe also a return to old values by the winemakers?

Not as decadent as 2015 but still has some glossy modern leanings. Did have a nice vein of red fruits and acids, however. Personally, I think this wine needs a lot of time.

Martin, we could have a small Canon vertical in February
I have a few from before 2000

WOW…TAK

You’ve had the 15? I would have guessed that the 16 would be more hedonistic than the 16, but have had neither. I do have 2 bottles of the 15 in the cellar someplace.

My thoughts on the 16 Canon, tried at the UGC in San Francisco: Terrific, deep, dark fruited, and engaging with tons of fruit but plenty of acid and tannin to hold it up. I could drink this all night, but not if I was in the mood for “Bordeaux”… this was nothing like the great Canon of yesteryear and frankly it suffers from an international make-up that leaves behind any sense of place as a quaint anachronism. Still, really impressive in its own way.

Had an 87 Canon Friday night. Smelled like a crypt on opening, but after an hour or so it was just lovely.

Hysterical. I smell dead things.

I may pop an 04 over the holidays.