TN: Another Blind Saturday

ANOTHER BLIND SATURDAY - S2’s (12/21/2019)

Saturday Blind Tasting Group

• 2012 Mantlerhof Roter Veltliner Reisenthal - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal
    Blind Saturday Group
    I called ripe-style Grüner. Waxy/oily mouthfeel with below average acidity and pointy yellow fruit in the midpalate. Very enjoyable.
  • 2014 Delas Frères Condrieu Clos Boucher - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu
    Blind Saturday Group.
    Lots of honeycomb with a hint of oak on the front end, but finishes super dry. Hints of white flowers, but not cloyingly floral. Oily texture with a nice punch of acidity.
  • 2012 Peter Michael Chardonnay Belle Côte - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley
    Blind Saturday Group
    Very rich and creamy with ample oak. Not my style but I certainly commend the quality winemaking.
  • 2010 Peay Vineyards Pinot Noir Scallop Shelf Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Blind Saturday Group
    Dark cherry and cranberry with a stemmier quality than I usually get on this wine. Lots of clove and other baking spice. It has put on weight since release and is in a great spot right now.
  • 2005 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Blind Saturday Group.
    This is drinking beautifully right now with little to no evidence of brett. Low tannin, high Grenache flavors with lots of Garrigue morphing into lovely black tea tertiary notes. A beautiful Pegau.
  • 2002 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    Blind Saturday Group
    Ethereal.
    Perfect transparent stony Syrah with nice acid and an elegant floral finish. Throwing lots of sediment but otherwise a crystalline ruby color and a long finish.
  • 2012 Booker Vineyard Oublie - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Blind Saturday Group
    A fooler because of the low alcohol and muted fruit. I really did not get Rhone variety flavors on this, and certainly not Paso. The dark fruit took me to a lighter mountain Cab. Enjoyable, but unexpected.
  • 2002 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz - France, Champagne
    Blind Saturday Group (but this was a non-blind finisher)
    While delicious now, this needs time for my sweet spot. It’s very 2002, with forward fruit and obvious dosage. There is some yeasty brioche which should be marvelous in another decade. Citrus, nice acidity, and a little baking spice.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice lineup!

Peter Michael is in my target zone.