TN: Burgundy Dinner with the Chevaliers du Tastevin

The Albany-Capital Region chapter of La Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin held a dinner at the Wishing Well Restaurant in Wilton, NY.

The host for this dinner was Adrian Chiota. I sat with Jared, Adrian, Mathias and a few of their friends from NYC.

Except for the Champagne which was provided by Adrian, all the wines were from the chapter’s cellar. None of the wines were decanted, but they were opened for some time before serving. See each wine note for details.

Photos and more details can be found on my website.

• 2018 David Trousselle Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Beaune La Couleuvraire - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Beaune
    [Pop and pour.] Tasty, refreshing, good body. Medium length. (88 pts.)
  • NV André Jacquart Champagne Premier Cru Experience Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Vertus - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru
    [Disgorged November 2017.] Dry and complex with lots of yeasty bread dough in the nose and palate. Delicious. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Domaine Henri Boillot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Mouchère - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
    [Removed from the refrigerator at 4:30pm, opened at 4:45pm, and served at 5:15pm.] Lemon custard nose with hints of vanilla. Rich in the mouth with lots of minerals. Still quite youthful. Good acidity and balance. (92 pts.)
  • 2011 Faiveley Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    [Opened at 4:15pm and served at 5:45pm.] Beautiful nose of cranberries and strawberries. Gorgeous, juicy red fruit and spice in the mouth. Drinking beautifully now. No rush, but no need to wait either. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru
    [Opened at 4:15pm and served at 6:10pm.] Ripe, sweet red fruit nose. Slowly opening in the glass. On the palate, this is rich, complex, and expansive. A stunning wine. Still quite young, but already showing a lot. Won’t peak for at least 5 years, but that won’t stop me from loving every sip tonight. Gorgeous tannins and fruit. Wow! 95-97 (96 pts.)
  • 2009 Albert Morot Beaune 1er Cru Les Toussaints - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
    [Opened at 4:15pm and served at 6:40pm.] Putting this after the Dujac did it no favors. It is shockingly tannic. While it has some jammy black fruit, I’m not sure it will ever be enough for the tannins and acidity in this wine. (87 pts.)

An excellent dinner with very good food, very good wines, and great friends.

I have not had any wines from Morot from more recent vintages, but wines from the 1980s and early 1990s aged incredibly well.

Same here. About 10 years ago, when I was first learning Burgundy, I backloaded on a bunch of late 80s/early 90s Morot. Beaune Bressandes and Toussaints were good wines and good values. Never bought/tried any Morot post-99.

Nice to see a good note on a 2011. Ken, how many people at this dinner? It doesn’t look like a lot of wine.

Echo Paul, Ken–rare to see an effusive note on a 2011 red. Thanks for posting on all the wines.

The Clos de la Mouchere from about a month ago:

"2010 Boillot Puligny Clos de la Mouchere

I last had this I think 5 years ago in DC. At that time, it was virtually impenetrable. While still coiled tight as a spring, it is starting to show its class and colours. Driving lemon, lime and mineral all have an equal say in what is still a full-feeling wine. "

Around 50-60 people. There were 12 bottles of each wine available.

A question I’ve always had was who chooses the wine to cellar for the Chevaliers?

Each chapter has its own Cellier responsible for the wine selection.

Impressed they had Dujac CdlR in the cellar. We go big on our cellar but that is a step up when buying in quantity.

Very nice dinner and wines. Great job Ken!

Always finding Ken where the good wines are–thanks for posting; always nice to see you enjoying Burgundy!

There’s been a couple of guys that have bought the wines for the group over the decades. One guy has been doing it for the last decade.

Dumb question - how does one join a local Chevaliers du Tastevin chapter? I’m guessing it’s an invite-only type of thing? Maybe also an “if you have to ask…” type of thing???

You do have to be invited by a current member, then pass a quiz on Burgundy. I think it matters a lot where you live. In a small city like Albany, NY, we are always looking for new members. In a big city like NYC, I think you have to wait for someone to die to get in, then have lots of money.

Thanks for the prompt response. I’m guessing Tampa lies somewhere between those extremes!