TNs: Two Cool Italians: 2016 Franz Gojer Sauvingon Karneid, 2014 Girolamo Russo Etna Feudo

Couple of well-behaved wines this weekend while finishing xmas preparations. I got turned on to Girolamo Russo’s wines at Da Francesca in Rome last year. New name to me, and I really dig the wines. The Franz Gojer is pretty cool, too. [cheers.gif]

• 2016 Franz Gojer - Glögglhof Sauvignon Karneid - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Alto Adige - Südtirol (12/23/2019)
    SB from high altitude- 600m in Alto-Adige. Stainless fermentation. Shows Very SB. Light yellow color, highly aromatic, spring-like and elderflower. Complex herbal notes on the palate along with bright grapefruit and peach and lasting acidity. Brisk. Paired nicely with poblano corn chowder and fish tacos.
  • 2014 Girolamo Russo Etna Feudo - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (12/22/2019)
    Lush dark-fruit aromas of plum and blackberry with hints of olive. It is cool and mineral-driven, a present rockiness. Some herbal notes and black cherry fruit. Very clean. Long in the mouth. You get the sense that this is a wine that is made by someone who knows what he is doing. Very nice. Young, with room to grow.

Posted from CellarTracker

Been waiting for the Russos to land at local spots

Seem to more readily available in US market recently. Though, maybe I’m just paying more attention. WineExchange has a few and readily available at online retailers. Relative good value, in general.