Will paying sales tax & higher shipping cost cause you to buy less online?

Will paying sales tax & higher shipping cost cause you to buy less online? choose whatever fits

• 1. New taxes and higher shipping will have zero impact on my online buying.
  • 2. I will spend less online.
  • 3. I’m unsubscribing online retailers to avoid the new cost.
  • 4. I will switch to only local buying.
  • 5. I have to keep buying online as many of the wines I seek are not available locally.
  • 6. Don’t like the new taxes & shipping but I’ll adjust and buy as much as ever.
  • 7. I never have bought wine online anyway.

0 voters

Will paying sales tax & higher shipping cost cause you to buy less online? It will me and I sort of welcome it. At 64 I need to slow down my new wine buying significantly anyhow. Retirement is looming. Not being independently wealthy and definitely, not wanting to still answer to the man when I’m 70, I’ll have to spend less on new $50+ wine buying. I’ve got 1260 btls right now with lots of ageable gems to spread out over decades. Ill continue to supplement those holdings with sub $40 values like Fevre Champs Royoux, Passopisciaro, rosso di Montalcino, Domaine Eden PNs & cabs, Eyrie PNs, red & white bourgogne & Roderer Brut CA.

Anyway as a major new online buying disincentive, for me. The new taxes & elevated shipping cost will definitely motivate me achieve my spending reduction goals. Especially, as I unsubscribe from previously tempting online retailers. I’m down 20% for 2019 spend vs 2018 and expect to do the same in 2020. To be clear, I don’t blame the retailers. They’re doing what they’re forced to do. In my case the new revenue grabs by the assorted states will help me as I spend less.

How about you? Will paying sales tax & higher shipping cost cause you to buy less online?

I just preferentially switch to vendors who don’t charge sales tax.

all in cost has and will always be the determining factor

3 Likes

In some ways this goes to the old Cellar Tracker debate: when you enter a price in CT, do you include shipping and tax, or not?
(It is like arguing whether that stupid dress from a few years ago was blue or gold; I am not trying to re-open the debate!)

Point is, I always consider shipping and tax. But, I also personally like the experience of shopping online much more than I like shopping in a store. (A very personal thing, but I feel dumb in a store. I feel empowered online–I can research, price shop, etc. with ease). And, I have no clue where to find what I want in a store locally.

All of that is to say: what I pay for a wine (which includes shipping and tax, whether I buy locally or online) matters. If price goes up for any reason, that has an impact at the margin, for sure. But, I will still buy 95%+ of my wine online.

#5.

/thread

I am surprised that some of you don’t pay your local and state sales taxes. I have been charged sales taxes for quite a long time. That said, paying sales tax is not a deterrent. I would have to pay them if I bought locally. Shipping costs are also not an issue because I buy wine online that has a total cost per bottle far less then it would if bought locally assuming that I could even find it locally. My purchases are almost all aged old world wines and local stores do not carry most of them.

What will stop my buying is if the 100% tariff goes into effect on wines from Europe.

In Alaska online is the only real option. Other than an occasional Costco deal I purchase all of my wine online. Local retailers have limited selection and high prices.

+1

I wonder how the big online retailers handle a customer with a Washington State billing address but has the wine shipped to a wine storage place in Oregon? I’m guessing no sales tax?

soo… option #6?

and 5
and 1
champagne.gif

Only buy online as nothing I drink is readily available in convenient stores.

I have enough wines to last me until I die. I can stop buying or just be more picky about what I buy.
3rd option and it’s also what I have been doing already is buy more from EU or HK.

+1 Always have to pay the man. At 100% tariffs, only ballers need apply.

1 Like

Agree. With 12-bottle purchase, my expectation is free shipping. Period. With 6 bottles as with some wine clubs, discount & reduced shipping cost. But I carefully calculate entire cost to be sure that, to me, pricing is reasonable and compares favorably to local options. Not perfect, of course, but always base decision on total cost.

= 6

The price becomes the price.

I will continue to order from out-of the-area because our selection here is limited by so few stores. I don’t find taxes or shipping rates to be onerous and it’s just easier.

Been paying sales tax for a while. That and shipping don’t influence me much, unless shipping is ridiculous. As others have said, the price is the price.

Tariffs, my age, and the fullness of the cellar will suppress my buying more that sales tax and shipping.

1 Like

Interesting to see this poll today as I refrained from pulling the trigger on some older/harder to find Italian bottles last night from a CA retailer as tax, packing, and shipping added $11/per bottle to each bottle in a six pack of wines. This isn’t all that unusual, but leans to the high side, and lead to me not making the purchase. And to be fair, if I really wanted the wines, I’d pay it, as I don’t otherwise have access.