TN: Eastside Tasting Group End of Year Extravaganza

EASTSIDE TASTING GROUP END OF YEAR EXTRAVAGANZA - Newcastle, WA (12/20/2019)

Jason and Tracy hosted a remarkable end of year dinner and tasting. The attendees were exceedingly generous, and on the whole this was one of the more remarkable tastings I have ever had the joy to attend. (No wines were served blind other than the 1963 Warre.)

As everyone arrived, we nibbled on cheese and sipped these three.

• 1990 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut - France, Champagne
    Well this is a heck of a way to start an epic tasting. Apart from a paucity of bubbles, there was very little showing the age of this wine. Surprisingly gentle, mineral, the obligatory toasty brioche notes. Quite delicate and subtle.
  • 2012 Arnaud Ente Meursault Clos des Ambres - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
    Oh wow, this baby was a beast. Explosively flinty, tightly wound, this just leaps all over your palate. I wish I could have lingered with this for much longer.
  • 1998 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja
    No one seemed to grab this in their pictures. I would have thought this was Rose from the color. Quite oxidative. Someone said it was a proper example and typical. This deserved more mindshare than I could give it.

We started off with a humble pair of Washington wines that showed quite well.

A little warmup to revv our Bordeaux engine.

• 1990 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Mmm, the leafiness of the Cab Franc shows up. The palate moves to lush black cherry and cocoa. Some sur-maturite and a hint of soy creep into the glass, showing the (over)ripeness of 1990. A lovely way to start off the Bordeaux!

With a little beef stew served in puff pastry cups, this flight got us going.

• 1970 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    There was considerable debate as to whether this was slightly corked. A pretty nose. Palate is dilute and definitely shows a little musty/moldy edge. In the end, after I left it sit, I do indeed think this was a little corked. Shame. NR (flawed)
  • 1961 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Spiny, tobacco, Pauillac time! Lots of leaf and mint with surprising structure.
  • 1961 Château L’Eglise-Clinet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    From magnum, booyah! Crazily fresh, black fruit, plum and spirit. Loads of chocolate. Really hedonistic.

Wow, this flight was epic. I hazarded points for this and the next flight to put them into some relative perspective. In reality, any one of these wines would have been epic and basically perfect.

• 1982 Château Mouton Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    A terrific example of this wine. Incredible spine and mineral. My notes were thin, but the wine was not. (98 pts.)
  • 1986 Château Mouton Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    This was decanted for 12 hours and needed it. Dense, powerful, brooding and smoldering with black fruit and intensity. This is remarkable, a freak of a wine. (96 pts.)
  • 1989 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Holy s**t. I have had this wine a number of times and always been impressed, but this one finally broke through. Just next level. Truffle, red fruit, coffee, mineral. Luscious. Incredible depth and balance. This is a baby. (100 pts.)

Simply incredible. All were perfect. I took one point off the 1959 Haut Brion, since it crashed a bit in the glass. Wow, wow, wow!!!

• 1955 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Graves explosion. Roasty, toasty and smoky. The smell of a hot pine forest with some resin notes. Pure cherry palate. This is really the essence of Graves and everything I hope to find in Haut Brion. Wow! (100 pts.)
  • 1959 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Wow, the nose of reminiscent of the 55, but the palate is deeper and dustier, heavier. There is maybe a little muddiness or the hint of some salt marsh. Wow what a palate. Deep and plummy with fruitcake. Explosive fruit. Alas, this just wowed on first pour, but it tired just a hint in the glass whereas the 55 gained in intensity. (99 pts.)
  • 1959 Pétrus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Deep, plummy, cassis. Wowza Merlot. A silky blast of chocolate and black cherry. Perfection. (100 pts.)

Shifting gears is tough. Too tough for me.

And finally some dessert.

What an epic evening. Thanks to all!

Posted from CellarTracker

Those three vintages of Haut-Brion are among some of my favorite Bordeaux of all-time.

Great line-up.

Looks like a really nice event.

Wow. Awesome.

I think the Tondonia Blanco is a wine that probably needed air and its own attention. And some seafood paella.

Eric,

I enjoyed the pithy immediacy of your tasting notes. Sounds like quite a night.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks all.

Terrific lineup and notes Eric.

I’ve had the 89 and 55 Haut Brion. I agree on the 89 being about as perfect as I could ask for every time I’ve had one. My one experience with the 55 was excellent but not quite at the heights your bottle achieved. Glad your bottle showed so well.

Our group had the 82 and 86 Mouton about 18 months ago and was split on which showed best. The 82 was my favorite but the 86 got a few more votes.

Great way to cap the year. Thanks for sharing. Hope your holidays are wonderful and your 2020 is even better.