TN: 1991 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Backus Vineyard

• 1991 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Backus Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (12/26/2019)
    A mag for xmas. First time the Durand failed me…well not really its fault, as the cork was like sawdust, and caked to the bottle neck like glue. The Durand just twisted right through the brittle cork…had to do some surgery on it, pretty much dig out the chunks, and filter the rest pushed into the wine. After a filtered decant…the wine showed a beautiful garnet color…very youthful looking, just the slightest of bricking. The wine was sound, subtle, and silky smooth. A delicate medium bodied, fine silky tannins, old school dusty cedar and bayleaf/mint, leather. Very fine and subtle…gained slightly in weight and body with some air, and beef, yet still a lot more delicate than I remember the Backus wines being, as well some other 91’s I’ve had that were still pretty youthful and structured. Nose was tremendous…nice balance with the still sweet dark red berry fruits, old cellar cedar spice, and herbs. Drank well in a ho hum kind of way till the end. Nice…but had higher hopes for this, especially with all the killer 91’s I’ve had in the last decade. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

“Ho hum” and “Had higher hopes” parallels mediocrity and melancholy in my book. Twenty eight years is pretty risky for a Napa Valley Cab.

I’ve had SO many amazing 1991’s…that anything but…is somewhat of a disappointment. And…28+yr old Napa/Sonoma Cab is not risky imo.

The 1991’s which I have drunk recently are still very robust. If this is an off bottle, that is still fortunate, and a testament to an under-recognized vintage.

That’s too bad Buzz. I have had the 86 & 87 in regular bottles about 7-8 years ago and both wines were terrific.

There was still joy to be had Doc. Merry Christmas! [cheers.gif]

Merry Christmas Brian.

Had 92 in regular format a few years and it was very solid.

Rarely ever hear about this vineyard.

Is it still being bottled up on its own?

Please forgive the thread drift- but by chance would 1991 Stag’s Leap Cask 23 be among those amazing recent 1991 experiences? I got my hands on a few bottles recently with pristine provenance- spinning capsules, neck fills etc. While I was a fan of 1991 from its early days, I have no idea what to expect of Cask 23 now and so on a number of occasions when it was on the deck for sharing at tasting events I have not ended up opening one- instead opting for something I was more certain would be a perfect fit for the event.

Why do you call it underappreciated? It was highly rated at release, and more importantly (I think), pretty much everyone in any of the wine circles I have been in regarded it as a great one.

Cheap for what it is.

I’ve also had good experiences with Napa Cab '91’s–just sourced some Dalle Valle. I think Tom’s Cask 23’s should be also be good, fwiw; they were lovely wines at the time. Too bad what happened with Stag’s Leap.

A friend and I did 91 Seavey and 91 Anderson’s Conn Valley side by side a few weeks ago. Both drinking in their prime, with the ACV being delicious and complex but the Seavey on a whole other level of depth and power.

Tom - that’s a great Cask 23. Is it the 78 or 87? To each, his own.

Recent 1991 Beringer PRs have been nothing short of amazing.

1991 Von Strasser out of a magnum was amazing a few weeks back…Also, just my 2 cents but the resurgence at Phelps started in 1994 after some tough vintages.

Nice note, Buzz. It very much mirrored my recent experience with 85 Backus. Though I suppose my expectations were lower.

My recollection of those Backi (?) is ferocity in their youth – but frankly, they seem to mellow more quickly than I would have guessed. I have a 97 3L that I can’t wait to uncork for the right occasion.

As to 91 Cali in general, my experience has been great. Most recently, a fairly rare Hanzell cab, purchased from the winemaker. Silky and delicate, feminine.

Recently opened a 1997 Jordan, not a wine that most would expect to age well. That said, at 22 years, it drank beautifully and had fully retained all aspects of the fruit, aroma and color. Tannins had fully resolved but it was enjoyed by all.