TN: 2010 Domaine Ramonet Bâtard-Montrachet

• 2010 Domaine Ramonet Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (12/30/2019)
    A complex and exuberant nose of spearmint cream, smoke, white peach, lavender and apricot. There’s a hint of white mushroom and brulee development. It is full, rich, heady and powerful, with a sappy feel but the elegance of the Domaine. It has great volume and length is just about in the perfect place for mine.

Posted from CellarTracker

it is indeed a superb bottle.

Just curious, how would you gents rank 04, 10, 14 for Chez Ramonet?

2014= wow!

When '10 are on, they are great. I’ve had far too many premox’d '10’s though, 3xRuchottes and 1xBBM. The '14’s are super, perhaps the best of these three vintages that you mention Fred. Haven’t had an '04 Ramonet in a longtime, apart from a Monty in 2017 that Paul Hanna served that was perhaps my wine of the year. Loved the range of '04’s on release.

Seeing as you have had far too many premoxed 2010 Ramonets, is there any reason to think things would be any better with the 2014’s?

I ask because, after so many years of not buying WB’s after pouring thousands of dollars down the sink from vintages 1995-2010, I thought about picking up a few 2014 Ramonets. (I should mention that it did not take me so many years of pain to curtail my buying…I learn from my mistakes, and the number of wasted bottles and dollars decreased as I wised up.)

If there is no reason to suppose that Ramonet had not changed anything between 2010 and 2014, I will leave well enough alone. If I have to consume them within 5-6 years, I shall pass.

Do you or would you buy white Burgundy under screwcap, Robert?

14 > 10 > 04. I would include 2008 on the same level or maybe even superior to 2010. I have had a few premoxed bottles of '04 Bâtard, and one somewhat advanced '10 Ruchottes, but so far '14 is maturing as it should.

We stepped back in on the 2014’s after a number of vintages hiatus. We’ve only opened two so far, but have also encountered no issues. Sadly, we found many 2010’s premoxed, though never the Batard, which I have always loved.

In the US I have only seen Bourgognes under screwcap. I have considered buying WB’s under DIAM, though, since I have not heard any reports yet of premoxed bottles under DIAM. (If any of you have, let me know.)

That some of you are reporting premoxed Ramonet 2010’s is surely of concern (Jeremy, does Ramonet produce under screwcap for the Australian market, hence your question? If so, were your premoxed Ramonets under cork?). And hearing that the 2014’s have not shown premox is of little comfort as they are just 5 years out.

Good to hear this is drinking well. Probably taking this one to Paulee with me in March. Fingers crossed it’s a good bottle.

Coming to NYC then?

I used to buy mainly grand crus and upper level premier crus.
Now, I might drink a $100 or less WB in under 5 years to play it safe, but no way am I going to pay more than that for a WB that cannot safely age properly without significant risk.

Robert, I only pose the screwcap question, as to me this is the fix for Ramonet, and every other white wine producer. These discussions tend to go around in circles. We can give you limited experience with the '14 Ramonets, but whilst they are sealed under cork, they will always be susceptible to oxidation.

As I have mentioned may times before. we had massive oxidation problems with all of our whites here in Australia in the '90’s. On mass, the industry embraced screwcap in the early-mid noughties. I regularly ask winemakers who switched from cork to alternative closure, how many bottles they have tipped down the drain since changing from cork. The answer is always zero. Prior to switching, Stephen Henschke estimates he wasted about $1M worth of wine that was tipped down the drain because of tca or cork taint. The figure since switching is zero!

Oxidation is not just a problem for Burgundy!!

Jeremy,

I would prefer all wines be bottled under screwcap - whether it be a Mugnier Musigny en magnum or wine I bottle myself in the local Monoprix. Corks add absolutely nothing to the wine experience for me, screwtops are absolutely lovely to open :slight_smile:, and I hope 2020 is the year more wineries switch over!

Happy New Year and a bonne année to all!

Yup, I’ll be there.

I’ve recently really enjoyed 04 Ramonet Batard. And 07. 05 was a bit disappointing. 14 Ramonets are fabulous but haven’t had beyond PC level. And I vote for screwcaps. No romance opening an oxidized or corked bottle. TCA is also absent with screwcaps.

How do the Ramonet premier crus stack up in 2014?

grand cru level. Have had Cailleret, Ruchottes,
Morgeot, Clos du Cailleret, and Vergers.

Its interesting to see your comments Jeremy as we had this wine as part of a series of 2009 to 2013 Ramonet Batard Montrachet as our last wine group meeting for 2019. These wines lit up a sunny Queensland December day with the 2009 and 2010 both wonderful wines with the 2010 by a nose ! The 2012 and 2013 were made of similar stuff but still young and a little edgy. The 2011, like many 2011s, was charming, a little exotic and perhaps less likely to develop classically than the others.
The 2 most anticipated wines were the lovely 2009 Montrachet, classically built with plenty of substance and balance, and the tragic 2010 Montrachet whose deep yellow cast on pouring meant the nose and palate were going to confirm that this was breathtakingly premoxed. After a brief period of denial by some ( common first step in grieving ! ), it was clear to us all that the most anticipated wine had that rare for Ramonet disease of premox.
To be Australian is to believe in Stelvin closures and I am Australian ! Post Christmas I was served a 2014 Benjamin Leroux Chassagne Tete du Clos under screw cap by friends. It was so fresh and correct that my first thought was New World but it opened beautifully to reveal its origins. If I could I would only buy White Burgundy under Stelvin !
A final comment : I don’t understand concept of buying high-end WB only to drink it young as these wines only make real sense after 7-10 years of bottle age. My feeling is that premoxed wine tastes wrong from Day 1 - somehow fragile, somehow imbalanced and never like that bright 5 year old bottle of 1er Cru Leroux. My own approach is to only buy WB that’s under Diam or Screwcap ( with the occasional wax topped exception such as PYCM ). As well as seeming a sound strategy it is a message that the maker is listening !