What is your favorite wine with seared foie gras?

Caveat - I must already own it in half bottle

Choices:

sauternes/barsac (mostly i own climens from 09, 03, 02, 01, 97, 88, and 86 but also have other 01 halves from LTB, Rieussec and Sudurait)

Germany - lots and lots of riesling auslese including goldkaps and stuff that’s not botrytised or sweet. producers include Muller-Catoir (including rieslaner) from numerous vintages, Fritz Haag, Prum, Zilliken, Loosen, Schaefer, Donnhoff. Also have eiswein.

Loire - Baumard QdC from 05, 02, 96, 95. Also some Bise QdC 2002 and huet 1er trie 1997 (Bourg)

That’s it I think.

I’d go with the 02 Baumard QdC.

I’d lean toward a Quarts de Chaumes or one of the rieslings, but I can’t give you a reason. And I don’t think you can go wrong with anything you listed.

I am right with you - a nice Coteaux du Layon !!!

I would check your cellar, but CellarTracker is having a bad day. Got any Darting Rieslaner?

Off-dry to sweet Gewurztraminer

I recently has a '98 Markus Molitor Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Eiswein (forget the vineyard and CT is going super slow) and it was stunning. It would’ve been great with foie.

I’m thinking eiswein but as John said, all of them. It’s not on there but I usually have Tokaji-aszu. “Usually” as in every five years!

Enjoy whatever you choose Maureen and Happy New Year.

Sauternes and Foie Gras, of course!

2001 Climens - of course, unless I am drinking a Truchot or something, it is my favorite wine with almost anything (although a GKA from Zilliken would be pretty nice also). The 2001 Climens is really spectacular so only open it with people who will appreciate it.

Sauternes for sure.

Point of interest (at least to me) is in Andrea Immer’s “Great Tastes Made Simple”, she recommends rustic Pinot Noir and red Burgundy with cooked foie gras. She pairs sweet wines with foie gras terrines.

Yquem

Don’t hve yquem. Assignment was to select from what was listed. All of my rieslaner is MC.

88 Climens.
It is drinking great and perfect for foie gras.

Well I just stuck hlf bottles 2001 climens, 2002 selbch-oster bernkastler badstube auslese ** and the 02 baumrd in fridge. Hve to get back to the lapin

01 rieussec was spectacular with it recently.

All great choices.
The final call should depend on the accompaniments.

I used to always serve Sauternes or Tokaji Aszú (4-6 puttonyos) with seared foie gras courses until around 12-13 years ago when I started feeling difficulties transitioning to reds with the main courses. So, now, from your list, I’d say any of your Baumard QdC, Haag or Dönnhoff.

Thanks, Greg. I chilled the three listed above. My guest chose the climens. The wine ws fine but I confess - i have lost my taste for it.