TN: NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 168eme (France, Champagne)

• NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 168eme - France, Champagne (12/31/2019)
    First full bottle after having the 375 in Oct…2012 base, with reserves to 1996. Bright and electric right now…lemon and ginger tantalize the palate with pucker and fine popping bubbles…then a creamy ginger, honey butter, and marsala mousse calms the party in the mouth, and the contemplation begins. Pure golden fruits, chiseled saline minerality, subtle ox, deeply nuanced, richness yet elegance, and in ready to go form! Again…does remind me of the 08 DP in that how well it is showing right out the gate. Always fantastic…but this one seems right up there at this stage with the 164. Gunna need a bigger boat on this one! (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Back when there was a lot of discussion regarding the 164 eme, I posted a thread inquiring as to perhaps this was the genesis of a new style for Krug MV. The idea was largely rejected but it seems I’m seeing a lot less reference to “oxidative notes” in the critiques of the last few releases. Kind of makes one go hmmm…

Happy new year. Hope your big boat can hold this wine! My boat is full! They’re dropping edition after edition faster than I can keep up.

Hmm as in what? Can you be more specific regarding what you’re actually trying to say?

Krug has a big enough volume whereby a significant style change like I think you are suggesting (was Krug ever outwardly oxidative though? I don’t think so.), would be well and truly noticed by the substantial community that consumes it.

I get you here. When I first had the 164, I was blown away at how bright and tarted up this was, with the ox just a nuance. My previous experiences with the MV was a bunch of 2000/01 base bottles, as well as some older golden/burgundy label ones from the 90’s. Way more oxidative notes on those bottles for me. Love the style…but do prefer the ox notes nuanced, and not sherried. The 164, and 168 for that matter, are perfect blends for the GC imo. They will be the benchmark for me going forward.

Gonna have to stock up some 168 375s. I drank through a case of 164 375s in a alarmingly short time.

For the orange county people, Hi Time has it in stock at 164

For northern CA folks, Flatiron in SF has it at $157.99 through the end of today (discount applied at checkout)

That didn’t work for me. Shows $169.99 all the way until you enter the CC (and that’s the last step). Only exception I see is if you buy 12 for 10% off.

Bottle barn in CA has it for $155/btl, free shipping on 6+

Nm might be sold out

It was in stock recently and I thought about it but decided to save the $$$. In looking at the site y/day, it said Sold Out.

Hi time has some still, I believe.

Thanks! No rush to buy it at $165-170, but if I see it at $150ish, that’s pretty attractive.

Sorry. The offer came through email, but the link took me to their standard page for the wine and then the discount applied at checkout. Thought it was open to all.

This makes me glad I bought some of these.

This makes me sad as I clearly didn’t buy enough.

Drinking the 167 now…and MAN this just shows you how GREAT the 168 and 164 are, as this 167 is a little more edgy and angry…not as harmonious as the other two G-Cuvée’s. Age out the 167 for at least another 5yrs…enjoy the 168 now and whenever(mult cases a must)…pop the 164 on that special occasion but try to hold for as long as you can…hopefully you went deep!
champagne.gif

1 Like

Had a split of the 168 last weekend, was everything I want from Krug.

1 Like

I got a 750 of this that I have teed up for a dinner next week. Look forward to trying it.

I only have the 167. Based on your commentary, will push it to the back of the cellar and forget about it.