'04 Comtes has got it going on

2004 Taittinger Comtes (1/1/2020)
This was a conversation stopper, a gorgeous bottle of wine. Dense and viscous yet lithe and spry. Creamy lemon mousse, stone fruit; moderately autolytic. Riper than most 2004’s; this has entered the zone. They have the constitution to go the distance, but there’s no harm in opening these now.

Happy New Year!

I’ve got one in the fridge for when I’m off call. Thanks for the promising note.

Yes sir! Had it Saturday night. Absolutely stunning wine

I just had one few weeks ago and was blown away. On release it was little tight, I prefered 2002 and 2006 so was drinking those.

Great to know! I haven’t touched any since 2016, when it was good but a little reserved. Glad to be sitting on a couple of cases.

Loved it early this year and picked up a case next day. Seems to be unavailable now.

Hmm, sounds great. Somehow I bought 2002, 5, 6, 7, 8 but didn’t manage to acquire any 2004. Maybe some will appear at auction for a reasonable price.

My favorite vintage of the 2000s so far.

Probably should have gotten some although I’m really not a fan of the 04 vintage in general. The only champs I’ve liked from 04 has been krug.

I ordered some from Envoyer (guess I will get it in the spring). Love the great tasting notes.

Had the 04 over the holidays. It is indeed in a great place right now.

Out of interest Michael, what aspects of 2004 don’t jive with you?

I’ve generally found the acidity to be unbalanced and shrill.