TN: 2000 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

2000 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (12/31/2019)

2nd time I have had this wine but the last time was 15 years ago on release. Decanted 4 hours before drinking. 75% Cab Sauvignon, 22% Merlot, 3% Cab Franc and a touch of Petit Verdot. Lightly sedimented. Solid crimson color with little or no bricking. Beautiful nose of crime de cassis and forest floor. Typical Pauillac notes of pencil lead, currants and beef blood. Solid but integrated tannins. Leathery notes on the long finish. Starting to really show it’s character. This was the best PLB that i have had which includes the 1994, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2010. 97 points.

VM

Nice data point. Thanks, as I have some.

I’ve been happy with a couple of 2000’s that I’ve had last year (Magdelaine and Sociando Mallet), especially after 2+ hours of decanting.

This wine was drop-dead gorgeous on release, and then went into a shell so hard that it was nearly impossible to drink. Glad to hear it is re-emerging.

I have a ‘hard stop’ on the rest of the bottles in my cellar, after tasting it in December 2018, as it seems completely shut down to me. Maybe I didn’t decant long enough, but I’m sad I didn’t have as good an experience with mine as you did with yours! :slight_smile:

Yeah, this baby is the reigning Pichon Baron champ until proven otherwise. 2010 and other more recent vintages still buried in monster tannins will have to wait their turn.

Had it twice over 2019 and it was excellent. But it’s just waking up and has 10-20 great years ahead of it, no hurry!

Great note. Loved this wine and need to revisit in the future. Unfortunately the price of acquiring will be significantly more.

4/30/2011 rated 96 points: Major League Bordeaux Tasting at Kevin’s (Kevin’s House): My wine of the night. Medium to dark in color. Powerful nose with violets, rose petals, chocolate, wood and gravel. Rich on the palate with roasted nuts, tobacco, floral and red fruits. Long finish and complex. This wine was decanted 3.5 hours. A wine of epic proportions. 96-98.