TN: 2014 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis Grand Cru Valmur

• 2014 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis Grand Cru Valmur - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (1/4/2020)
    According to Tanzer, this Valmur is from young vines of 14 and a 7 years of age. Perhaps this is why it leads to a forward drinking and very open GC, loaded with sweet fruit of whites peaches and mirabelle and an extremely well timed burst of lemony citrus acid. Rich and expansive, while not a classical Chablis by any means, this still delivered the goods. Looking to get some 17’s from Droin. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Yup, love Droin; I think they are an underrated producer, at least in North America. In France, there wines seemed to go for more than they do here, though that’s owed to a very small and haphazard sample.

I quit Droin after 1996 and several oxidized wines—except the stunning Vaudesir. A friend has wooed me back w a couple stellar bottles. They are a good value and have a nice choice of Chablis sites.

They make a nice MdT

I love Droin too and as I’ve posted in the past, who cares about premox when they’re so delicious on release?

I tasted the 2008 Droin Valmur recently.

Like Alan, I had a few premox problems in the early days (“early days” — ha! Benoît Droin a THIRTEENTH-generation winemaker!!!) but have otherwise always thought highly of the good bottles and they were keenly priced.

Medium straw with a bright silvery rim, looks very promising. Clean citrus, popcorn nose. Bright on the palate, long lemony-mineral finish. Excellent. Drinking perfect. Just what you want here. Super wine.