Your Favorite Wines Inroduced to You by a Fellow Board Member - Top 3-5?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Your Favorite Wines Inroduced to You by a Fellow Board Member - Top 3-5?

#1 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 4th, 2020, 12:21 pm

I’ve done a lot of re-arranging these last couple of months, and as I do not keep an inventory, it sorta reminds me of the depth that I have in some wines. Reflecting on that, some of my deepest collections come from direct recommendations by great folks on this Board (some coming from eBob, too, but same Board Member here).

So what are your tops that you learned about here? And from whom?

Mine are:

Domaine Levet - Introduced by Martin . Have a Levet vertical going back to 2004, prolly 100 or so bottles. Love this classic, but feral wine.

Gonon - Learned on eBob, and I seem to recall Todd gushing about it. Have Gonon vertical going back to 2006, also 100+ bottles.

Bedrock - I think from Alan Rath, convinced me to join the list for the inaugural vintage, and have bought every year since. This is the only “list” that I am on, and now the only Cali wine that I buy every year.

Vatan - Introduced over dinner by Matt “Tooch” LaTouche, God I love this stuff, perhaps my all-time fave white. Singular.

Baudry - Salil, have well over 100 bottles going back to 2007, generally buying most of the cuvees. A classic Loire Chinon. Too bad the Franc de Pied cuvee went away, it was gorgeous.

Sociando Mallet Cuvee Jean Gautreau - This may surprise you, but while I have been a 25+ year fan and buyer of this most excellent Chateau, I did not know of this special cuvee until Introduced to it by Keith Levenberg (the 1995). I now have various vintages from 1999 and 2009.

I have to say, this community of friends and connoisseurs has been great for me.

Thanks all.
Last edited by Robert.A.Jr. on January 4th, 2020, 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Your Favorite Wines Inroduced to You by a Fellow Board Member - Top 3-5?

#2 Post by Bob Hughes » January 4th, 2020, 12:27 pm

That preeminent Oregon wine guru, Rich Trimpi, introduced me to both Goodfellow and Walter Scott Chardonnays, and that has had a major impact on my white wine buying over the past 2-3 years. [cheers.gif]

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Bob Hughes » January 4th, 2020, 12:31 pm

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention all the wines that Rob Panzer has turned me on to since I started buying from him, but three producers that immediately come to mind are Boulay's Sancerres, Barraud's Chardonnay from the Macon and Stella di Campalto's Brunellos.

Alan Gottlieb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Alan Gottlieb » January 4th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Goodfellow and Kelley Fox

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Jeff Vaughan » January 4th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 12:31 pm
And I would be remiss if I didn't mention all the wines that Rob Panzer has turned me on to since I started buying from him, but three producers that immediately come to mind are Boulay's Sancerres, Barraud's Chardonnay from the Macon and Stella di Campalto's Brunellos.
I agree. Meeting Rob was a game changer.
CT: outplaying

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by alan weinberg » January 4th, 2020, 3:32 pm

the world of Muscadet.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by AlexS » January 4th, 2020, 4:14 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 12:27 pm
That preeminent Oregon wine guru, Rich Trimpi, introduced me to both Goodfellow and Walter Scott Chardonnays, and that has had a major impact on my white wine buying over the past 2-3 years. [cheers.gif]
Same here, Richard introduced me to Goodfellow and I'll forever be thankful!

Have to give a huge thx to Dentice for Sandlands - MTP's subsequent endorsement made me sign up immediately.

Speaking of MTP, pretty sure it was Dildine whose enthusiastic posts got me on the Bedrock bandwagon...

Have to give a huge shout out to Greg from Envoyer for all the 2009 Bojo deals, price of admission made it possible to grab a ton of producers I was unfamiliar with.

And thx to everyone who posted on Mike Smith - started buying Myriad with the 2008 vintage and have never looked back.

That's off the top of my head, know there's more I'm not coming up with right now...
s t e w @ r t

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by AlexS » January 4th, 2020, 4:18 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 3:32 pm
the world of Muscadet.
So much this, don't recall who first posted on Pépière but that opened me up to Luneau-Papin, Brégeon, etc...
s t e w @ r t

Ian H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Ian H » January 4th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Can't remember specific people necessarily (save for our OP) but off the top of my head, introductions and/or posts or threads on Bedrock, Patricia Green, Walter Scott, Goodfellow have led to nice discoveries for me and meaningful additions to the cellar. I'm now either on their regular mailing lists and/or have visited or bought direct. This board has also spurred plenty of impulse buys, of late, just to see what everybody is talking about. e.g., 08 Dom, Xavier Gerard, Gonon, etc.
@@S

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Jim Stewart » January 4th, 2020, 5:07 pm

More than one person has been involved in igniting my interest in these wine categories over the past year or so. That’s what’s especially cool about this forum with so many experienced and sharing folks originating posts and/or chipping on to other people’s posts. I will mention a name or two of significant influence for each category, but really its the community and thanks to all WBs.

Champagne . . . What used to be special occasion only for us, is becoming a regular in our wine rotation. Doug S., Warren T.
Beaujolais . . . Appreciating the pleasures to be found here. Robert A.
Riesling . . . Try it you’ll like it. I did and I do. Jay Hack, David B.
Musar . . . Yeah this is its own category. Kirk G.
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Kris Patten » January 4th, 2020, 6:13 pm

I feel like I learned a lot more on wine and producers thru the old Parker board as I was starting ITB and had a ton to learn, from SQN to PYCM....but here for sure I learned some St. Joseph, Cote Rotie and Cornas producers I wasn't 100% familiar with from Charlie, Robert, and Adrian and some grower champagnes from many including FMIII.
ITB

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by David Glasser » January 4th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Some recent, some go back a way...

Levet
Allemand
Pierre Peters
Jacques Carillon

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Howard Cooper » January 4th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Two board members who are also members of my wine tasting group (Randy McFarlane and Chris Bublitz) have taught me what I know about Champagne.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 4th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Coming from Florida, these Board recommendations were great for me as back then we simply did not have access and exposure to the types of wines I highlighted in my OP. Florida did not allow direct wine shipments from out-of-state retailers to consumers, and we were quite limited to Bordeaux and Cali Cabs, and then some staple Rhones like Beaucastel. Even Clape, I got exposed to 1994-96, and then never saw it again down here. Once the shipment laws relaxed, I went hog wild. I missed some greats, like Verset and Gentaz, but somehow got slotted in early with Juge and loaded up. Likewise with Rougeard - now that I think of it, I had my first with Tooch as well - but I have since lost my allocation on that wine, and the pricing has gotten stupid.

I forgot about another major staple in my Florida country cellar, Roilette. Learned about this through Keith as well. Have a nice run from 2007 through 2018. I love love love this stuff.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Kirk.Grant » January 4th, 2020, 8:05 pm

What a great topic! I think there's a good amount of merit to sharing the love and credit as others have turned us onto some really interesting wines. The bulk of these wines will be from one board member that I most regularly drink with.

Keller: Doug S. opened a 2007 Kirchspiel GG for me on New Year's Eve in 2010. Today, I have more Keller in my cellar than any other producer (30% more than Musar the second on that list) I used to drink the wines like I'd always be able to buy them. 6 bottles in, drink 4-5 and save a few. Buy 4 and drink 4...now they're all for special occasions with a fellow wine-geek or a few are set aside for a future Rieslingfeier. He opened a 2015 Kirchspiel GG this New Years, we opened Keller wines at our wedding, at the pre-wedding parties, and it was the first German Riesling I opened for my wife when we started dating.

Cavallotto: Howard Davis made some recommendations that helped me on my first trip to Piedmont in 2016. He was very gracious, and offered to help me book a visit to Cavallotto, which I declined (to my supreme disappointment today) because I did not know them, their wines, or if I'd like their style of wines. However, while in Piedmont on our first night there the restaurant had the 2006 Vigna San Giuseppe BTG with a Coravin and it was his offer that caused me to splurge for €20/glass. I've been buying their wines ever since. While only 3-6 bottles here and there...I'm very happy with what I do have, and can't wait to dig into them in another 5-10 years when they're ready. Thank you Howard, for your time, thoughts, and effort to set me on the right path.

Poggio di Sotto: Another producer that Doug S. is responsible for introducing me too. I trust his recommendations so much so, that I booked a visit to the winery without having ever tasted their wines before. What an awesome tour, great people, and memories my wife and I still talk about to this day. I think their Rosso is better than many other Brunelli. But their Brunello is just plain awesome.

Bernard Levet: I don't know who influenced me to buy this, but someone from the Board must have written a compelling tasting note...because I started buying his wines in 2013 and I still wish I had more. They require some time & patience...but some vintages have been far more accessible like the 2012 (same with Gonon too, the 2012 has always been in a good place).

Pierre Péters: Doug S. get's a third nod for this producer as well. I've really become more and more enamored with these wines the more I drink them. It's one of the grower's Champagne that I have never been disappointed by. My biggest regret...is only buying two magnums of the Reserve with the 2008 base back in 2014.

As I look at this list I hope that I will still be able to justify buying at least 3 or more of these in another decade.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 4th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Myriad
Bedrock
Carlisle
Clerget

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Greg K » January 4th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Jouan
Greg Kahn

Scott Tallman

#18 Post by Scott Tallman » January 4th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Walter Scott - Rick Allen pointed me in their direction five or so years ago and I’m very glad he did

Thomas - credit goes to many on this board who wrote about John’s wines, including Rich Trimpi

Baudry - I had bought a few bottles on a whim, but had not really focused on this producer until reading Alfert’s notes. Now an almost annual buy of various CFs

Kelley Fox - believe it was Marcus Goodfellow who pointed me in Kelley’s direction

Martin Müllen - Paul Willenberg and Lyle Fass
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Jayson Cohen » January 4th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Levet

Claus Jeppesen

#20 Post by Claus Jeppesen » January 5th, 2020, 12:56 am

BAMA by Robert.A.Jr.
Xavier Gerard by Fu
Timorasso by Otto
Claus

Riesling and Slate

NoahR
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by NoahR » January 5th, 2020, 3:44 am

Alfert has been my spirit animal and I have followed him to Levet, Gonon, Sociando, BAMA and a few others.

I buy a lot of board darlings from Myriad and Rhys to Musar, Gonon and others. I’ve been guided in my riesling purchases by many, same for burgundy. There’s a little hive mind going on and it’s hard to recall exactly the influences that brought me to a certain collectible wine at a certain time.

But I blame Alfert for my credit card bill and so does my wife. ;)
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Jim Stewart » January 5th, 2020, 3:52 am

Just woke up but not yet 'woke' about BAMA, which is what?
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 4:58 am

Jim Stewart wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 3:52 am
A wine, not my son’s college. More like a lithe fencer than a football player.

Chateau Bel-Air Marquis d’Aligre, Margaux, a/k/a BAMA.

A handful of us having been gushing about this wine for a while, with notes scattered here on there on the Boards, like 95, 96, and 2000. And then Sir William Kelley and Jason Cohen recently start dropping 59, 61 and 82 bombs on us!

Here is a nice article on this quiet, old world Chateau, by Neal Martin:

https://vinous.com/articles/last-man-st ... e-may-2018

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 5:12 am

NoahR wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 3:44 am
Alfert has been my spirit animal and I have followed him to Levet, Gonon, Sociando, BAMA and a few others.

I buy a lot of board darlings from Myriad and Rhys to Musar, Gonon and others. I’ve been guided in my riesling purchases by many, same for burgundy. There’s a little hive mind going on and it’s hard to recall exactly the influences that brought me to a certain collectible wine at a certain time.

But I blame Alfert for my credit card bill and so does my wife. ;)
HAHA, my Yak palate prevails!

I’m still trying to figure Musar out. Everything about it is something that I should love, and yet often, I don’t. And then I have one bottle, like a recent 1999, that was jaw-dropping.

I have not tried Rhys yet, but Kenny H just sent me a 2010 Rhys syrah that I need to pop soon.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 5:25 am

So everyone in my house is asleep, except me. Even the dogs. Was a long night at a pretty wild wedding. So I’m nerding out - trying to avoid the inevitable going into the office this morning thing - and am curious what wine I have mentioned the most on this Board. Not surprisingly, Sociando, 498 times, but then closely followed by Gonon, 495 times. I may need to shut up, lol.

Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » January 5th, 2020, 5:57 am

Glen Gold introduced me to quite a few, but the two that come to mind right now are Detert and Bernabeleva. Thanks Glen.
IG: @arntfieldwines

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 6:13 am

Andrew what is Detert?

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Howard Cooper » January 5th, 2020, 6:14 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 4:58 am
Jim Stewart wrote:

Is Tua their winemaker? I thought I read somewhere that how the 2020 ends up depends on whether Tua comes back?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 6:37 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 6:14 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:

Is Tua their winemaker? I thought I read somewhere that how the 2020 ends up depends on whether Tua comes back?
He makes a fantastic Tagovailoa Rouge. Crimson red in color, packs a huge punch, quite traditional in styling.

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#30 Post by Eric Lundblad » January 5th, 2020, 6:44 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 6:13 am
Andrew what is Detert?
A Cab & Cab Franc producer in Napa, mostly/entirely (or was) old vines.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by C. Keller » January 5th, 2020, 6:53 am

Between this board and following fellow members on Instagram, everything for me to be honest. Sounds corny but I can't think of something I found on my own.
Chris

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 6:58 am

Eric Lundblad wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 6:44 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Andrew what is Detert?
A Cab & Cab Franc producer in Napa, mostly/entirely (or was) old vines.
Cool. How would you describe the style?

Shay_A

#33 Post by Shay_A » January 5th, 2020, 7:10 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Andrew what is Detert?
They are the cousins to another board darling, MacDonald. Their property is next door for the most part. Some of their cab franc offerings are from old vine To Kalon fruit. I’ve got a visit lined up there in 4 weeks, so I’m excited to learn more. I’ve had their cab franc, and their East Block cab franc, only 2-3 times each and they are beautiful wines. Not the overly ripe cab francs that a lot of Napa producers are doing these days, but certainly not old world green in style either. Age worthy with beautiful structure.
Shay Aldriedge

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Joshua Kates » January 5th, 2020, 7:38 am

Most I don't remember who discussed them, but these are certainly owed to the board:

Sandlands
Bedrock
Rhys
Walter Scott
DiCostanza

And the one MacDonald that I have gotten to drink--did not get in on that one early enough--is to fellow WB'er, here in Bloomington, John Davis, to whom I continue to be grateful (as well as for some other nice bottles).

A fair amount of Burgundy and Bordeaux knowledge I have come by here, but that is harder to sift out from what has elsewhere been acquired and matters like which vintages are sleepers and so on. Love to learn and I know no place that rivals WB for range of knowledge and experience. So really thanks to all!
Neils Bohr had a horseshoe over the door to his country house. A visiting student said to him: "you don't believe in that, do you?" Bohr replied, "of course not," and added, "but you don't have to believe in it for it to work."

GregT

#35 Post by GregT » January 5th, 2020, 11:22 am

I was going to say I can't think of any from this board, although certainly from friends elsewhere.

Then I realized I had my first Halcon at the home of my friend Brian Tuite. Brilliant wine. [cheers.gif]
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 12:02 pm

GregT wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 11:22 am
I was going to say I can't think of any from this board, although certainly from friends elsewhere.

Then I realized I had my first Halcon at the home of my friend Brian Tuite. Brilliant wine. [cheers.gif]
I bought the inaugural vintage, and just took delivery of 2017. A nice run!

Who first posted about it, Alan or Brian? Both guys have great palates!

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Mattstolz » January 5th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Bedrock and Goodfellow. that on its own ended up filling 1/4 of my wine fridge now.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#38 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 5th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Chave (that was a while ago, can't remember who introduced me to it)
Gonon St. Joseph (Kim Caldwell, I recall, was a huge cheerleader of this wine, particularly during Crush's great initial pricing of it)
Allemand (Charlie, but unfortunately so expensive)
Dehlinger (Phil Franks/T-bone)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Ian H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Ian H » January 5th, 2020, 1:32 pm

As Gonon and Levet have been mentioned several times in this thread, I thought I'd ask, what is the consensus for drinking windows? Obviously vintage specific I'm sure, and all my stuff is quite young. I have lots of 15 Gonon as well as 14 and 16 Levet. CT tells me to wait at least 3-5 years it seems. I've actually never had either producer, but like Northern Rhone - some of my best experiences over the past 12 months were with Jamet and Voge.
@@S

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Ian H wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 1:32 pm
As Gonon and Levet have been mentioned several times in this thread, I thought I'd ask, what is the consensus for drinking windows? Obviously vintage specific I'm sure, and all my stuff is quite young. I have lots of 15 Gonon as well as 14 and 16 Levet. CT tells me to wait at least 3-5 years it seems. I've actually never had either producer, but like Northern Rhone - some of my best experiences over the past 12 months were with Jamet and Voge.
Exception for bruiser years like 2010, and maybe even 2013, Gonon always seems to drink well, IMHO, whether it be young, middle-aged or more mature. Such a gorgeous wine. The Gonon , they need 15+. I had a 2006 VV this past year that was exceptional, but ideally, I would have given it a few more years. Levet truly demands more time. Perhaps 2014 will be fine in a few years, but the bigger years, just lay them away, especially the La Chav cuvee. Les Journaries seems to show a bit better when young.

Try the Gonon Iles Feray and the Levet Amethyste cuvees for earlier drinking.

Ian H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Ian H » January 5th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Thank you sir, that's very helpful. I'll go ahead and pop one of the '15 Gonon sometime soon as I have several. And will look out for the others you mention.
@@S

Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » January 5th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Shay_A wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 7:10 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Andrew what is Detert?
They are the cousins to another board darling, MacDonald. Their property is next door for the most part. Some of their cab franc offerings are from old vine To Kalon fruit. I’ve got a visit lined up there in 4 weeks, so I’m excited to learn more. I’ve had their cab franc, and their East Block cab franc, only 2-3 times each and they are beautiful wines. Not the overly ripe cab francs that a lot of Napa producers are doing these days, but certainly not old world green in style either. Age worthy with beautiful structure.
Thanks Shay. Good summary.

Robert, as Shay noted, their property is on the To-Kalon vineyard. They have sold grapes to Mondavi for many years (not sure if that's still the case) and have also produced their own wines for many years.

If I were to create a scale of Cali Cab Sauv producers with, say, Dunn on the left end of the spectrum and some big, bloated, ripe, high alcohol producer on the right end, I'd place Detert to the left of centre. The wines are well structured and balanced but they're also full bodied and big, and IMHO they need a good 10-12 years from vintage before they're in their prime. I've had some of their 2002 and 2004 Cab Sauv in the past year and both bottles were superb.

Both the Cab Sauv Oakville and Cab Franc Oakville are affordable and excellent. The East Block Cab Franc is considerably more expensive and produced in small batches. I have some but haven't opened any yet. In future I think I'll stick to the Oakville Cab Franc because I don't think I need to spend the extra $ on the East Block.
IG: @arntfieldwines

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Ian H wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Thank you sir, that's very helpful. I'll go ahead and pop one of the '15 Gonon sometime soon as I have several. And will look out for the others you mention.
The 2015 is probably the most primary of recent Gonon vintages, it was a ripe year! Hard not to like it, but not the most complex at this early stage. It’s got a lot of enjoyable baby fat. If you have the 2014, I’d pop that first.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Thanks, Andrew. Solid reference points!

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by JDavisRoby » January 5th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 6:37 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 6:14 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

He makes a fantastic Tagovailoa Rouge. Crimson red in color, packs a huge punch, quite traditional in styling.
You forgot to mention Left Bank styling.

(Tua is a rare lefty QB)
Joshu@

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 5th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Oh man that was good! I blew it.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by JDavisRoby » January 5th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Goodfellow, Sandlands and Biggio Hamina are three recent favorites that I either learned about from this board or knew of but this board put me over the top to visit.

I have developed a list of wines suggested by the Francophiles here but haven’t bought many of them. My goal was to do that in 2020 but tariffs may impact that goal.
Joshu@

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Ed Steinway » January 5th, 2020, 5:04 pm

I learned about Carlisle on Ebob and found a bottle of 2002 Zinfandel at Oakville Grocery in Healdsburg. We loved it, signed up for the mailing list and our first vintage was the 2003 vintage. Still on the list and enjoying the wines, and their customer service is excellent.

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Julian Marshall » January 6th, 2020, 12:12 am

Great idea for a thread! Partly because I have never met anyone who posts here, there are few wines which I have really been introduced to, but there are countless wines which I have been tempted to try again after reading someone's notes, so this gives me an opportunity to thank all of you. I can't remember all the wines and the posters, but I can remember some:

Bel Air Marquis d'Aligre - I rediscovered this, partly thanks to Laurent Gibet, who I think posted about a Bordeaux 1998 vertical roughly ten years ago, partly thanks to Robert A, who started posting tasting notes a couple of years back and who I remember calling a geek in the nicest possible way, so amazed I was that he should have known such a niche wine. It's a little ironic that Laurent should have been first to remind me about it, since he just posted his disappointment with BAMA 1990 - precisely the vintage which prompted me to drop buying the stuff in the first place!

Sociando-Mallet - Robert A got me here with sheer persistence: I had ploughed through vintage after vintage since the 82, never enjoying the stuff, but reading his countless (and excellent) notes got me to realize that I had misunderstood the wine, so now I'm hooked. Jürgen Steinke also deserves thanks because he had told me countless times on Ebob that I was wrong to dismiss it.

Couly-Dutheil Clos de L'Echo - I think it was after reading a great note by Steve Brickley that I decided to get back into this one.

Olga Raffault Les Picasses - another wine I had gone off, it was a note by Dennis Atick who got me back into it.

Bernard Baudry - Like SM, it had never clicked with me, and like SM, it's that man Alfert's fault I now have so many.

These are off the top of my head, I know there are loads more I've forgotten. Basically, WB is a great source of inspiration in general as well as being a great place for friendly discussions. So thanks too to Todd French for setting the whole thing up in the first place.

Happy New Year to all and here's to some great bottles in 2020!

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 6th, 2020, 4:24 am

I’d probably be remiss if I did not mention Mark Golodetz for Vieux Chateau Certan. I’ve known of and liked this Chateau for many years, but got away from it, mostly due to pricing. Him raving about it as comparable to first growths and on fire since 2005, prompted me to dive back in, price notwithstanding. He’s right. It’s been a big splurge for me for a couple of years. An insider’s vintage is 2011, check out William Kelley’s note on it. Also insider, check out the second label, La Gravette de Certan. Worth buying in its own right.

Return to “Wine Talk”