TN: 2015 Barthod Bourgogne

61E88194-EBC2-4CBB-84A2-9CE8914D44E8.jpeg
This is pretty serious juice for the level. Tons of beautiful red fruit, with a strong backbone of acidity. This is pleasant now, but it’s tightly coiled with notable tannins, and will clearly benefit from a few years’ rest. Really tasty stuff and a rather well-constructed bourgogne.

I’ve bought a decent number of Barthod bourgognes the last several years (back to 08, though not every vintage) and have yet to open one that felt ready… tightly coiled, higher acid, and notable tannins would be a fair description of all of them… I’m still hopeful that they eventually come around, but it does seem to take some time.

Thanks for the note, it aligns with my experience exactly!

How does this compare with “Les Bons Batons.” I checked Rosenthal, did not seem to have Les BB on their current release. Same deal, different name, or different juice in the bottle?

William Kelley commented in an earlier thread that barthod only has bourgogne vines in Bon Batons so it’s just a labelling question.

No offense, I’m sure this is lovely but these $50 plus Bourgogne are hard for me to pull the trigger on.

Agreed that there is some sticker shock here, but IMO what you’re getting from this wine is basically a mini-Chambolle from a top domaine. For my tastes it is worth the ~$50 it costs.

Hard to find non-negociant Chambolle for even close to $50 these days. Doesn’t seem like a lot to pay for ageworthy Pinot.

Haven’t had one in several years, but having many of these over many vintages, the price reflects the fact that this ain’t no ordinary Bourgogne.

Right. It’s in the same category as the Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgogne.

This is great, I keep a bunch of it on hand.

That’s interesting, I did not know that. I have 12, 15 and 16 Barthod Bons Batons and each bottle has Les Bons Batons on the label.

On a related note I’ve been trying to organize a tasting of '15 Bons Batons - as I understand it, only Barthod, Philippe Leclerc, Geantet-Pansiot and Patrice Rion produce Bourgogne from this vineyard. I have the 15 Leclerc and Barthod, and have seen the Geantet-Pansiot on wine-searcher so will probably pull the trigger but shipping probably a killer as it’s in Europe. Have not been able to find the Rion, though.

Not just shipping on that European wine. You have tariffs as well.

Ah yes, even better.

Ok had the 2016 Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgogne today excellent wine and village level!!

Not sure if Christophe Roumier’s Bourgogne is actually in lieu dit Bons Batons, but his parcel is certainly not far from Ghislaine’s in Gilly. That area is one of the better spots for Bourgogne.

You motivated me to open one, a 2012 in this case. It’s quite good. Tightly wound at first but the palate opened nicely. Quite elegant. Doesn’t want to show much on the nose.
IMG_4613.jpg

Great producer, one of my favorites and one that I still feel offers the quality to justify the rising costs. One that also offers the style of Pinot Noir I love, and a must for those who want to explore the region.

Excellent wine although I don’t have a clue why it cost 50 $ in US… even with the Donald’s tax…
It will be interesting to see the changes brought by the tall boy who is taking over.

I would happily buy every bottle of that '15 Bourgogne I could find at $50.

1 Like

Are those Aussie dollars? [wink.gif]

I always buy her Bourgogne when I see it. Village Chambolle-Musigny in sheep’s clothing.

I listed it as one of my 3 overall value plays in previous thread.