TN: 1999 Mascarello Monprivato

I enjoyed a ‘99 Mascarello Monprivato Barolo with some friends the other night. What a stunner of a bottle!

Decanted for one hour.

The aroma was of menthol, roses, tobacco, and tar (so unique - although typical for Barolo from what I’ve read). It was medium-bodied and complex on the perfectly balanced palate, with a long finish. I was surprised at how integrated the tannins were for a traditionally made Barolo.

I have one more bottle of this (and two ‘01s). When would you open up the second one? Five years from now? Ten?

I’m holding mine for another 10 years at least if I have the patience. I like my Barolo mature.

Alright. I’ll try for another ten as well.

i also just had a 1999 Mascarello Monprivato. i think it drinks just dandy as one might expect from 1999 and Monprivato vineyard. it’s pretty dang enjoyable to drink now, and if that isn’t the definition of mature… but can certainly last 10 years

Well, there’s a difference between (1) enjoyable and (2) rich with complex secondary aromas and flavors.

Right. Enjoyable now is not the definition of mature. It’s nice to hear this has opened up, though.

I had two bottles recently…well stored, purchased on release from the same source (imported by Polaner Selections). The first was not good…drinkable, but prematurely advanced to the point of being on the back end of fully mature, and not terribly expressive or enjoyable. Based on that, I opened the second (my last bottle) within a week or so to drink with pizza, just to “get it out of my cellar”. It turned out to be great…not mature or advanced at all, but expressive and delicious. It’s possible that the one bottle just had some kind of flaw (slight cork seal issue, etc.), though it definitely wasn’t corked as I’m very TCA-sensitive. However, I am always amazed at the degree that good old fashioned “bottle variation” (i.e. inexplicable, unpredictable variances between theoretically “identical” bottles of wine) seems to play a role. This role grows with bottle age, but even so is surprisingly common in young wines.

Very interesting to hear about the variability. I bought a case back in 2007, stuck it in the back of the cellar, and haven’t even looked at the CT notes since then. I’m tempted to open one as an experiment, after reading this, though it would normally be way too soon for my taste.

I only have 1-2 bottles of the 1999, so am still not overly tempted to open one now, given the notes in this thread. The 1998 however is on deck; I haven’t opened one in a couple of years, and given the vintage, I’m hoping for a wine that is both enjoyable AND mature (and not a forever wine).
Regards,
Peter

I had a 2000 Monprivato on Monday night. wine of the night at our wine dinner. which was Castiglione Falletto vs Serralunga 05 and Older. It was a stunner, in a great spot imo.

Patrick should hit up his brother Armand for some other reds to drink while he waits on his last bottle of 99 Monprivato.

I had one magnum of 2000, which I opening in November, and it was a star. Wish so much I had bought more heavily back then - not only to have more mature bottles, but the pricing was less than half what it is now (at least in nominal dollars).

But I think 2000 is a more open vintage that is maturing relatively earlier than 1999.

I’ve been drinking my way through a 12 bottle case of the 2003. They have shown elegant and balanced especially considering the nature of the vintage.

This is a sensational wine that is just beginning to enter its drinking window. I thought it started to drink well a year or two ago. An amazing wine that can be enjoyed for many more years.