Decant advice: 2000 La Mission Haut Brion

I’ve been cellaring a bunch of this and have yet to pop one. Reading a lot of great notes on CT. Some say it’s ready to roll, others say it needs another 5-10 years. I’m going to open one for a dinner. Any advice on how much air to give it?

“Open and follow it over the course of the evening” is my preferred technique for the first bottle of a batch. It’s not a great option this time since it will be shared amongst 10 people with a lot of great wines on the table. I’d like it to be ready from the get-go.

Hold it. Come to Orlando. We pop your 00 and I’ll pop an 82. MarcF a/k/a Bobby Goulet can tag along, we give him Caymus.

My only advice would be to wait another 10 years. If not 20. If not 30.

Open and pound it in 30 minutes before it closes down…or open it mid-day prior and leave open on counter for 36 hours-ish.

By all means open one, don’t listen to the 10 or 20 year-team.

If you have more than one bottle, this decision gets a lot easier. But, if you have only one, you have to ask yourself, “Why did I buy this wine?” If the answer is anything along the lines of, “So I could, one day, enjoy a glorious wine in all its aged glory.” then you’re really cheating yourself by opening it now.

I think the “I cellared a bunch of this” was the first giveaway.

[pwn.gif] [oops.gif] [help.gif] [rofl.gif]

Ummmmm … … I would like to amend my answer … hitsfan

We had one last year.
It was slow-oxed for about 4 hours.
SPECTACULAR!

Robert A - the 82 HB and LMHB are both awesome wines. I’ve drunk my small stash but will put a bottle of 00 La Miss aside for whenever I get to Orlando. Or you make it up to the DC/Baltimore area. It’ll join a bottle of 89 Montrose waiting in the wings.

Thanks to the rest of you for advice, especially Scott who’s actually had the wine recently. I agree and will keep most of them buried in the cellar, but want to give one a spin.

Scott, do you pour any out at the start of your slow-ox routine?

I am jealous of anyone with lots of 2000 LMHB, personally!

I had one opened and aired for less than an hour. It was absolutely stunning!