Recommendations on a 1940 wine, port, madeira, etc?

My mom’s 80th is end of this month, I’m having a really nice chef’s dinner at the house for the whole family. Would be fun to have a wine from her birth year. My mom and dad love sauternes, port, madeira, pretty much anything with alcohol. Perhaps even an Armagnac would be cool.

Any recommendations on something fun that is actually available for sale from a US retailer that ships?

Thanks all.

Robert

Darroze Castarede and labaude all have 1940 Armagnac around 1500/btl

Robert: I haven’t looked but you might consider something in the Banyuls/Rivesaltes area. They are delicious, relatively reasonably priced and live forever.

I might have a 1940. And you have cornered the market on SMJG. Hmmm… :slight_smile:

Haha, good recos! I like Banyuls.

Only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Borges 1940 Doce Solera. The Rare Wine Company bought out the stock a decade or so ago and I haven’t seen any for sale recently, but it is a terrific wine.

Lots of choices on WS, ranging from $450 to $42,000.
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/-/1940/usa/-/a

I’m not a fan of Madeira or Sherry, and unfortified wine is more prone to being OTH. So I’d go with a vintage Port or Colheita. Or an Armagnac or other vintage dated spirits.

Dayum. A 1940 Lanessan!!!

In Corona del Mar, just a few miles away from me! I could do a brief inspection for you and ask them to sell it for at least $200-300 off because only one guy would be in the market for this. :stuck_out_tongue:

In Corona del Mar, just a few miles away from me! I could do a brief inspection for you and ask them to sell it for at least $200-300 off because only one guy would be in the market for this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol. No chance I drop 1k on a 1940 Lanessan. Chances of it being dead are like - and I’m totally guessing - 97.45%.

I heard the slow ox method works well… [snort.gif]

Francois declares it WOTY!

Leve called it charmless, decayed.

Alfert said, before even trying it, a spiritual awakening.

Decent CellarTracker reviews on the 40 lanessan

I had a bottle of the 1940 Justino Sercial Madeira in 2010, with note: " Off-dry, nutty with salinity and acidity. Nowhere near the amplitude or richness on palate of 1922 [D’Oliveiras] Bual alongside but also a very long finish. Glad to have had it."
On wine-searcher in FL for $499. With Madeira provenance is no issue since it’s oxidized in production. Madeira is not everyone’s taste but at least you know it will be drinkable, and if there’s any left she can have some on her 81st!

I just saw an online ad from Graham’s for their 1940 Single Harvest Tawny Port. It’s released.

Can you shoot me a link? Can’t find it. This would be cool. And thanks!

Is the Grahams released in the States? I don’t see it on the Symington’s sales website. A lot of their wood aged Ports are available only in the UK.

Interesting that they call it a Tawny, and not Colheita.

I hope so, since they are advertising it in the states.