Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Best deal/coupon for on-line wine shopping.

#6101 Post by Alan Newman »

[/quote]
My Cap One card offers 6 percent back, has done for a couple of months, never used it.
[/quote]

Jealous- I only see 4%.

Tags:

John L Hall

#6102 Post by John L Hall »

Tried 100rokt at WDC, appears expired.

Dale Williams

#6103 Post by Dale Williams »

I still had an unused Amex off of Zachys $30 off $150. Today's POPPOP25 offer, bought 2 bottles of G. Laval Cumieres Brut Nature, discount and tax made $170, with the credit they cost me $70 each all in (I pick up).

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6104 Post by Arv R »

Dale Williams wrote: June 16th, 2022, 1:12 pm I still had an unused Amex off of Zachys $30 off $150. Today's POPPOP25 offer, bought 2 bottles of G. Laval Cumieres Brut Nature, discount and tax made $170, with the credit they cost me $70 each all in (I pick up).
No resort fee ?!?
R_@_0
https://dilbert.com/strip/1991-12-08

Kurt_L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6105 Post by Kurt_L »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: June 6th, 2022, 2:39 pm Some time ago there were reports on problems with Raise gift cards, but the conclusion (at least my conclusion) was that the problems were relatively sporadic and limited to the "discounted" cards as opposed to the "cash back" cards.

Well, not any more. After 2-3 months of lapsed membership, I rejoined Stewardship (using the Amex offer on that) to take advantage of the recent 20/50 and 100/300. There were some wines I was targeting that were already close to W-S low even before any discounts, so with that and the Amex offer the membership was attractive just for these offers and if we get any more good coupons/cash backs, it's all gravy.

Anyway, I bought a $200 Raise "cash back" gift card to use on the 100/300 and it didn't work. Given their guarantee and given that this was a cash back (direct) card, I reported it and got a "we'll get back to you by CoB tomorrow" response (this was on the holiday last week). Expecting the best on that, and figuring it might have been a one-time glitch, I bought another. It didn't work either. Reported it, got the same message, and stopped trying. This was the first (and second) time this had ever happened to me after dozens of purchases, and AFAIK, the first time reported here that it happened on a "cash back" card.

They did get back to me the next day, and the message was "the cards were deemed active when issued" (by whom I wonder?) so essentially "not our problem, work it out with wdc".

Well, screw that. But I did get on chat with wdc and they confirmed that they have no record of those gift card numbers in their system - not as being open and active, nor as being issued but spent." So I attached the chat transcript to a somewhat forcefully worded reply to the raise email and they got back to me the next day with "please send a screenshot of the error message you see when you try to use the card." So I did that and they got back to me the next day with "your purchases are being refunded." And the refunds have in fact hit my credit card.

The concerning part for me is that, even after I prodded, they are saying they don't know what the problem was, as opposed to something like "we've reached out to wdc, identified the problem, and fixed it." Maybe it was just these two cards but that seems awfully unlikely, and if it was a bunch of cards then surely they'd want to fix the problem.

SO - the problem extends to cash back cards too, but refunds can be obtained with more effort than should be required, but nothing extreme, and I have no comfort that the problem I encountered then has been fixed. I just wanted to make everyone aware.

Has anyone purchased a "cash back" wdc gift card on Raise in June? Did it work?
Did you get a refund yet Dave? Mine was refunded a few days ago. Raise has removed cash back gift cards for WDC so they seem to be aware of the problem.
L @ v 3 + + !

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#6106 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Kurt_L wrote: June 17th, 2022, 7:52 am
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: June 6th, 2022, 2:39 pm Some time ago there were reports on problems with Raise gift cards, but the conclusion (at least my conclusion) was that the problems were relatively sporadic and limited to the "discounted" cards as opposed to the "cash back" cards.

Well, not any more. After 2-3 months of lapsed membership, I rejoined Stewardship (using the Amex offer on that) to take advantage of the recent 20/50 and 100/300. There were some wines I was targeting that were already close to W-S low even before any discounts, so with that and the Amex offer the membership was attractive just for these offers and if we get any more good coupons/cash backs, it's all gravy.

Anyway, I bought a $200 Raise "cash back" gift card to use on the 100/300 and it didn't work. Given their guarantee and given that this was a cash back (direct) card, I reported it and got a "we'll get back to you by CoB tomorrow" response (this was on the holiday last week). Expecting the best on that, and figuring it might have been a one-time glitch, I bought another. It didn't work either. Reported it, got the same message, and stopped trying. This was the first (and second) time this had ever happened to me after dozens of purchases, and AFAIK, the first time reported here that it happened on a "cash back" card.

They did get back to me the next day, and the message was "the cards were deemed active when issued" (by whom I wonder?) so essentially "not our problem, work it out with wdc".

Well, screw that. But I did get on chat with wdc and they confirmed that they have no record of those gift card numbers in their system - not as being open and active, nor as being issued but spent." So I attached the chat transcript to a somewhat forcefully worded reply to the raise email and they got back to me the next day with "please send a screenshot of the error message you see when you try to use the card." So I did that and they got back to me the next day with "your purchases are being refunded." And the refunds have in fact hit my credit card.

The concerning part for me is that, even after I prodded, they are saying they don't know what the problem was, as opposed to something like "we've reached out to wdc, identified the problem, and fixed it." Maybe it was just these two cards but that seems awfully unlikely, and if it was a bunch of cards then surely they'd want to fix the problem.

SO - the problem extends to cash back cards too, but refunds can be obtained with more effort than should be required, but nothing extreme, and I have no comfort that the problem I encountered then has been fixed. I just wanted to make everyone aware.

Did you get a refund yet Dave? Mine was refunded a few days ago. Raise has removed cash back gift cards for WDC so they seem to be aware of the problem.
Yes, it was fairly prompt once I jumped through their hoops (see bolded text). I had not seen that they've pulled the WDC from their site, so thanks for that update. I wonder if they'll fix the issue and start selling them again or if that is that?

I see that WDC gift cards are still listed on TopCashback with 5.52% back, but I've never bought one from them.

Kurt_L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6107 Post by Kurt_L »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: June 17th, 2022, 8:29 am
Kurt_L wrote: June 17th, 2022, 7:52 am

Yes, it was fairly prompt once I jumped through their hoops (see bolded text). I had not seen that they've pulled the WDC from their site, so thanks for that update. I wonder if they'll fix the issue and start selling them again or if that is that?

I see that WDC gift cards are still listed on TopCashback with 5.52% back, but I've never bought one from them.
I bought some from topcashback, it worked out great. It seems like the same model where they buy cards in bulk directly from WDC. A minor downside is the largest denomination you can get is $100.
L @ v 3 + + !

K N Haque
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6108 Post by K N Haque »

12% off 12 + bottles at First Bottle (plus free shipping), ends Sun. night at 11:59 (Pacific?). Automatically applied, no promo code.
Last edited by K N Haque on June 20th, 2022, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
K @ m @ @ l

Philip G

#6109 Post by Philip G »

30% off Father's Day sale at Coravin can be combined with 15% email sign-up and 5% Rakuten cash back makes some nice deals.

I broke down and bought the coravin sparkling as my wife is not a big champagne drinker and I like to have an occasional glass.
G@@d

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6110 Post by MattG »

Vivino

Save $30 on orders $200+ with code
RED30
Save $50 on orders $300+ with code
WHITE50
Save $75 on orders $500+ with code
BLUE75
G@|’$1n

John McDermott

#6111 Post by John McDermott »

MattG wrote: June 20th, 2022, 6:23 am Vivino

RED30
WHITE50
BLUE75
Anyone got any good go-tos from Vivino?

joejolesch

#6112 Post by joejolesch »

Amex offer - $100 back on $400 at WineBid
2022 WsOTY - 2006 Charles Heidsieck Brut Millésimé, 2018 W&M Proprietary Red

A d a m S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6113 Post by A d a m S »

John McDermott wrote: June 20th, 2022, 10:18 am
MattG wrote: June 20th, 2022, 6:23 am Vivino

RED30
WHITE50
BLUE75
Anyone got any good go-tos from Vivino?
Some decent Italian options (depending on where you live):

high end:

Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino 2016 $107.99

low end:

Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona Ateo (bordeaux blend) 2019 $21.99
Brunellophile, Barologist, Sauternalian

S c h u l m a n

Dennis Atick

#6114 Post by Dennis Atick »

Did we break WDC or something? Crickets. For a while now.
@decaturwinedude

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew.”--Abraham Lincoln, December 1, 1862

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#6115 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

We're about to have a fantastic offer from WineAccess, exclusive to Berserkers, likely posting on Monday, fyi
"I about passed out from elations" K John Joseph, 1/26/22

S_Rose

#6116 Post by S_Rose »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 10:04 am We're about to have a fantastic offer from WineAccess, exclusive to Berserkers, likely posting on Monday, fyi
Todd: suggest having its own thread/post so it doesn’t get lost in other stuff

That sound you hear is my CC crying…
Suz@nne_R_0_s_e_nn
WineNoob, pls be patient. Offboard eyerolling permissible

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#6117 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

S_Rose wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 10:17 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 10:04 am We're about to have a fantastic offer from WineAccess, exclusive to Berserkers, likely posting on Monday, fyi
Todd: suggest having its own thread/post so it doesn’t get lost in other stuff

That sound you hear is my CC crying…
It will have its own thread, of course!
"I about passed out from elations" K John Joseph, 1/26/22

Chris Crutchfield
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#6118 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Dennis Atick wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:57 am Did we break WDC or something? Crickets. For a while now.
VC spigot is firmly closed now. No more free money. They are probably scrambling trying to get to profitability, and that means increasing revenue (raising prices) while cutting costs (user acquisition, i.e. ad spend and promotions).

If we don't see an end of Q2 spike from the cash back sites, the WDC gravy train may have left the station for good.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6119 Post by Max S. »

Dennis Atick wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:57 am Did we break WDC or something? Crickets. For a while now.
Glad I didn't renew free shipping in April...
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom
"Just remember the old saying, one person’s garbage wine is another person’s treasured burgundy." -JDavisRoby

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Kurt_L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6120 Post by Kurt_L »

Curious enough, the press releases on revenue growth also seem to be broken: https://www.wine.com/content/about-us/i ... -relations
L @ v 3 + + !

Dennis Atick

#6121 Post by Dennis Atick »

Max S. wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 11:09 am
Glad I didn't renew free shipping in April...
Yep. About to let my lapse in Sept.
@decaturwinedude

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew.”--Abraham Lincoln, December 1, 1862

Jonathan Jaggers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6122 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

Let my WDC shipping end in May. No regrets. Would have one so anyway since all the best deals no longer apply in my state, but at least I don't have to lament on missing out on them lately.
If there's a dog in the house, you're never drinking alone

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6123 Post by Arv R »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 11:09 am
VC spigot is firmly closed now. No more free money. They are probably scrambling trying to get to profitability, and that means increasing revenue (raising prices) while cutting costs (user acquisition, i.e. ad spend and promotions).

If we don't see an end of Q2 spike from the cash back sites, the WDC gravy train may have left the station for good.
They have shifted some promotional efforts to card linked programs; perhaps those are better targeted than broadly available - and stackable - coupons. However I think the core Stewardship driven biz model is flawed. Letting 'members' get $10 bottles be shipped for free doesn't work with current FedEx costs, even if that "$10" bottle is only a $6 wine. And even then, eventually the low information WDC customer does eventually notice there is a big difference between the prices their site charges, vs. other vendors whether bricks & mortar, or online.
R_@_0

Kurt_L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6124 Post by Kurt_L »

Arv R wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 1:26 pm
Chris Crutchfield wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 11:09 am

They have shifted some promotional efforts to card linked programs; perhaps those are better targeted than broadly available - and stackable - coupons. However I think the core Stewardship driven biz model is flawed. Letting 'members' get $10 bottles be shipped for free doesn't work with current FedEx costs, even if that "$10" bottle is only a $6 wine. And even then, eventually the low information WDC customer does eventually notice there is a big difference between the prices their site charges, vs. other vendors whether bricks & mortar, or online.
My guess is they do just fine on average gross margins (pre-shipping expenses) even with the coupons. I agree though, the combination of their shipping model and coupon structures is crazy. I can't tell you how many times I've had 4+ separate packages from them delivered on the same day. They should either change the coupon structure so I have an incentive to order more at once, or change the shipping structure to consolidate across orders. Hopefully the new warehouses they've invested in were built with the awareness that storage+order consolidation is clearly a better strategy.
L @ v 3 + + !

Chris Crutchfield
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#6125 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Kurt_L wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 1:59 pm My guess is they do just fine on average gross margins (pre-shipping expenses) even with the coupons. I agree though, the combination of their shipping model and coupon structures is crazy. I can't tell you how many times I've had 4+ separate packages from them delivered on the same day. They should either change the coupon structure so I have an incentive to order more at once, or change the shipping structure to consolidate across orders. Hopefully the new warehouses they've invested in were built with the awareness that storage+order consolidation is clearly a better strategy.
To be fair, not even Amazon consolidates separate orders placed concurrently. That being said, they have orders of magnitude more warehouses and logistical challenges than WDC. But it's a bit telling that this is an obvious operational optimization yet their IT and logistics systems can't handle it.

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6126 Post by Arv R »

I don't think they can 'optimize' their way out of this. My feel is they'll have to adjust the Stewardship proposition - maybe make it so that it only works on $75 minimum orders or something. Or alter it so that they only ship out once 6 bottles or something like that have been accumulated and ordered (like Amazon's single delivery day), but that would come at the expense of giving customers some storage, which itself is a pain.

Still I enjoyed it while it lasted. And some props to WDC for the website as it's pretty good I think. Sure it's not K&L, but compared to other retailers, it's very respectable.
R_@_0

Dyl@n H

#6127 Post by Dyl@n H »

WDC NY warehouse find, a couple left as of posting this. 2018 Azelia Barolo Cerretta @ $67 - ordered two earlier and can confirm that it is the Cerretta bottling.
H U N ₸

JoelD
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6128 Post by JoelD »

Dyl@n H wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 8:08 pm WDC NY warehouse find, a couple left as of posting this. 2018 Azelia Barolo Cerretta @ $67 - ordered two earlier and can confirm that it is the Cerretta bottling.
damn good find, but shows two available then doesn't let me check out. oh well
D a v i d s o n

J. Rock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6129 Post by J. Rock »

I've been hoping Almaviva's second wine, Epu, would be available in the US some day, and that day is finally here! It's available on First Bottle Wines for less ($55) than I purchased the 2015 for at the winery. Good deal!
J o r d a n

WOTY 2021: 2012 Horsepower Vineyards Syrah The Tribe Vineyard

Diego Santos

#6130 Post by Diego Santos »

So nothing on cash back portals for WDC [head-bang.gif]

anyway Zachy's is, at least, trying
their "4 ways to save sale" have some discounts and extra 20% plus free shipping for orders over 2.5K, code EXTRA20SHIP
here:
https://www.zachys.com/4-ways-to-save

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6131 Post by Toby P »

Diego Santos wrote: June 30th, 2022, 6:20 am So nothing on cash back portals for WDC [head-bang.gif]

their "4 ways to save sale" have some discounts and extra 20% plus free shipping for orders over 2.5K, code EXTRA20SHIP
here:
Some pretty good deals to be had with the extra 20% off...got excited then saw the $2,500 minimum lol.
P r a t t

Mikko Tuomi
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#6132 Post by Mikko Tuomi »

Toby P wrote: June 30th, 2022, 7:04 am

Some pretty good deals to be had with the extra 20% off...got excited then saw the $2,500 minimum lol.
"Orders must ship immediately".

Count me out.

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6133 Post by Toby P »

Mikko Tuomi wrote: June 30th, 2022, 7:07 am

"Orders must ship immediately".

Count me out.
Yeah Zachys is tough if not local
P r a t t

Jonathan Jaggers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6134 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

Diego Santos wrote: June 30th, 2022, 6:20 am So nothing on cash back portals for WDC [head-bang.gif]

here:
$2,500 is about what they charge to ship to me 3 states away
If there's a dog in the house, you're never drinking alone

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6135 Post by MattG »

Topcashback is 5% for WDC. Always worked for me.
G@|’$1n

justinpham

#6136 Post by justinpham »

Just a heads up — I used a Zachy’s AmEx offer on Zachys DC and the offer went through. I know that, in the past, others have said that it wouldn’t work so maybe terms got switched it up. YMMV, obviously.

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6137 Post by DanielP »

Not exactly wine, but First Bottle has Heavensake Junmai Daiginjo sake for 35/bottle. That plus the amex offer of 60 off 200 is a very nice deal if you are in the market.

A $10 referral code for any first time buyers:
https://www.firstbottlewines.com/invite ... ac851.html
P@ik

Kurt_L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6138 Post by Kurt_L »

did anyone successfully use the EXTRA20SHIP code at zachy's? I can't get it to work. It's still advertised on the homepage so I don't think it expired.
L @ v 3 + + !

OwenB
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#6139 Post by OwenB »

Kurt_L wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pm did anyone successfully use the EXTRA20SHIP code at zachy's? I can't get it to work. It's still advertised on the homepage so I don't think it expired.
$2500 minimum
    B @ $ H @ M

Dale Bowers
    Monopole Crü
    Monopole Crü

#6140 Post by Dale Bowers »

Zachys website yesterday was slower than dail-up in the ‘90’s
    Cheers!

YLee

#6141 Post by YLee »

Dale Bowers wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 1:58 pm Zachys website yesterday was slower than dail-up in the ‘90’s
    1200?
    -¥ 0 ñ 9

Kurt_L
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#6142 Post by Kurt_L »

OwenB wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 1:47 pm
    Kurt_L wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 12:44 pm did anyone successfully use the EXTRA20SHIP code at zachy's? I can't get it to work. It's still advertised on the homepage so I don't think it expired.
    $2500 minimum
    I see that. On Zachys DC it says "Promotion code accepted - thank you" but then it doesn't actually deduct anything from the total.
    L @ v 3 + + !

Kurt_L
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#6143 Post by Kurt_L »

Ah, I figured it out. The 6-pack deals don't stack with the 20%, even though the website literally says "stack it for extra savings" with an arrow pointing to the 6-pack deals.
    L @ v 3 + + !

Max S.
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#6144 Post by Max S. »

Last edited by Max S. on July 3rd, 2022, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom
    "Just remember the old saying, one person’s garbage wine is another person’s treasured burgundy." -JDavisRoby

5 w 0 m l 3 y

JoelD
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#6145 Post by JoelD »

Kurt_L wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 2:50 pm Ah, I figured it out. The 6-pack deals don't stack with the 20%, even though the website literally says "stack it for extra savings" with an arrow pointing to the 6-pack deals.
    "exclusions apply". happened on the dc site for me too. but the deals were so good for those bottles that I didn't care and just ordered way less.

For what it's worth though, the excluded wines do at least bump you towards your total, they just don't get discounted further.
    D a v i d s o n

Kurt_L
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#6146 Post by Kurt_L »

Finally got EXTRA20SHIP to work at zachys DC. It took some experimenting to figure out what's included, but worth it for some very good prices.

My wife and I got married during covid and missed out on the big wedding party so we're planning a make-up reception next summer. I stocked up on 2012 Michel Gonet Blanc de Blancs Mesnil Sur Oger Grand Cru at $28/per and 2016 K Vintners Powerline Syrah at $24/per for the reception. In case anyone else is interested, here are a few of the other good deals I "had to" add to hit the spending limit for the promo:

16 Cascina Fontana Barolo $37
    16 Poderi Colla Barolo Bussia Dardi Le Rose $37
    17 Vajra Barolo Ravera $52
    17 Vajra Barolo Coste di Rose $45
    16 K Vintners Royal City Syrah $60
    16 Lavinea Tualatin Estate Pinot $25
    19 Rivers Marie Sonoma Coast Pinot $28
    19 Rivers Marie Silver Eagle Pinot $48
    14 Force Majeure Epinette $33
    16 Force Majeure Parvata $33
    19 Génot-Boulanger Pommard VV $32
    15 Corliss Cabernet $33

Also can confirm that the amex deal worked at zachys DC.
    L @ v 3 + + !

J. Rock
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#6147 Post by J. Rock »

WHWC has a great sale. I picked up a 375ml 2018 F. Haag Juffer BA for $60(!) and some bottles of NV Edouard Brun Champagne for $27.
    J o r d a n

WOTY 2021: 2012 Horsepower Vineyards Syrah The Tribe Vineyard

jprusack

#6148 Post by jprusack »

Thx to Kurt, I bought 3 cascina Fontana barolo 2016s for ~$42 after Amex discounts. I’ve had the 2013 this past winter and it was splendid.
    J e a n - p i e r r e

Andrew Heger

#6149 Post by Andrew Heger »

The WHWC sale ending in 8 hours is pretty banging -- I dropped more than $2,500. Most obvious deal I saw is 2017 Braida Ai Suma at $65. That is perhaps the best Barbera in existence from a Barbera-friendly (i.e. hot) Piedmont vintage with good scores from reputable critics. I was easily good for 6 of those.

Other treats:
    2017 Vajra Bricco del Viole $73
    2012 Palmer & Co Champagne $50
    2016 Parusso Mariondino $53
    2019 Pinard Le Grand Chamerlin $45

MattG
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#6150 Post by MattG »

Enjoy50 for $50 off $300 WDC no idea of expiry
    G@|’$1n

Return to “Wine Talk”