TN: Pecorino prognostications

One of the importers I work with recommended this. Can’t recall having a Pecorino but this is excellent and distinctive.
2018 Feudi Bizantini ‘Passofino’ Pecorino (Abruzzo, Italy)
It’s marked by a grapefruit and lime pith bitterness, with a slight tropical sweetness on the front palate that is cleaned up by a saline and mineral infused finish. The interplay between the bitterness and sweetness is delicious and adds to the intrigue. I like it and the fact that it is very individual with a unique flavour profile.

This is another variety that i think could do quite well in our climes.

Interested in other experiences with the variety.

I have 2 of the Emidio Pepe 2016 Pecorino that I’ve been holding on to for summer drinking. Your wonderful note makes me want to crack one, or at least another reason to hasten to summer’s coming (though, I know, watch out for what I wish for).

Don’t know what the Pepe is selling for but if it’s anything like the Trebbiano, it’s not cheap. I’m a big fan of the Tiberio wines and they are significantly less than Pepe’s.

Good to know, Michael,

Pepe’s Pecorino is nowhere near his Trebbiano, at least not in respect to what I paid. On the other hand, still not cheap. Have you tried both? How do they compare?

Strong plus 1 on Tibiero

I can’t comment on the pecorino but certainly worth a whirl at 20-25$

The Tibiero Fonte Canale Trebbiano is a really taut clear wine. More linear and less volatile than either pepe or valentini.

Also at a nice price point.

One of my favorite new finds for me

Extremely timely article about Tibiero pecorino!!

Very intriguing idea, Kent. If it were to be a go down there, where were you thinking of in particular for plantings?

Couple notes—this first one is Pepe’s 12 Colli Aprutini, which made my WOTY list this year. From last May…the restaurant I refer to had half-price bottles after a certain time in the evening and we grabbed this for USD$100

“The after-dinner fascination came with Bernie and I stopping in at Ferraro’s. On their list was the 2012 Emidio Pepe Colli Aprutini Pecorino. I’d never had his Pecorino before and it was flat-out amazing juice. Creamy with some lanolin feel and also hints of buttered greens, pear paste, unripe banana and some marzipan, it also reflected some freshness and minerality at the same time when it was on my tongue. Descriptors are hard, but here’s one. It reminded me truly of a non-flawed right-place bottle of Chateau Simone. Pepe is a wine-whisperer of the first order.”

Tiberio’s was good value—tasted it near the end of a very busy tasting day at an event a couple months ago:

"2018 Tiberio Pecorino

Bit of a mystery. Juniper needle, a kind of sous-bois, even truffle. Ahh, that’s just a very peasant mouthful of wine. No distinct flavours but makes it on the mouthfeel and gentle finish. You could do a lot, lot worse for C$30

I was less enthused with the Trebb.

For me, Pecorino is a nice quaf. The better Pecs usually have high acid, minerality and sea breeze like savoryness. Very similar to Alvarino imo. One of my favorites is the Ciù Ciù “Le Merlettaie”, though it’s been a while since I had one.

I read the whole note the first time thinking it was a cheese.

+1 Tiberio.

Was at a 2015 Chassagne tasting of a very well known producer. Tiberio’s Pecorino was poured as a starter to the event. At the end of the night, it was the best wine by a margin!

Mike,
Fiano has done well here and has been a good choice in some of the warmer climes as an alternative to the classic white varietals. Had a good Falanghina from the hot Griffith region (Riverina) as posted in another thread and perhaps varieties like Pecorino that have good natural acidity will do well in areas like McLaren Vale which is a bit hot for Chardonnay, Sav Blanc and other varieties.

I was thinking of McLaren too :slight_smile:

I have had this one Collefrisio Pecorino Terre di Chieti IGT, and it is a really good QPR