Who isn't drinking their share?

America Drank Less Wine for First Time in 25 Years
Millennials opted for other beverages and baby boomers pulled back

The volume of wine consumed in the U.S. declined 0.9% in 2019, the first time it has fallen since 1994, according to industry tracker IWSR. The trend was ascribed to a generational shift as the number of millennials surpasses baby boomers, who drove strong demand for wine in America.

Have you seen what the price for daycare is these days? Throw in the increase in groceries. The average American is now thinking twice when it come to the prices wine has risen to these days. One decent bottle of wine or a case or two of Corona’s. Something had to give.

“Overall, U.S. wine sales by value rose 1.1% from a year earlier to $38.3 billion.”

Maybe we’re just getting healthier + expecting another recession to hit? I have about two years worth of consumption stored and just started slowing down my purchases, which also can lead to drinking a little bit less often as well.

The fine officials who favor tariffs.

Thats quite interesting. I definitely did my share last year and then some.

I very rarely order wine off a menu. The prices are too expensive. Cheaper to get a beer or cocktail most of the time.

Who needs to drink? It’s bad for your health, your pocketbook, and your marriage. [snort.gif]

+1, ever since my taste evolved beyond 2nd cheapest wine on the list its corkage or beer for me.

How’s marijuana use trending?

Could it be whittling away some people who would otherwise head toward wine?

So we’re high-grading - quality over quantity.

That, or the crap-wine drinkers are opting for White Claw.

Nah, they enhance each other.

Add in the cost of your cell phone data plan, streaming video services, daily Starbucks, and eating out nearly every night.

Of my three kids, two are able to afford today’s wine prices. The third is not even though she makes a comparable salary to the others. This is due in large part due to the choices she makes as to where to spend her money. This is not a criticism as much as an observation that at least part of the difficulty in finding the resources to buy wine arises from differing priorities rather than strained economics.

Agreed. Too expensive.

Always take a bottle.

But that counts as consumption, too.

Bourbon sales on the other hand!!!

Bourbon that a few years ago that were common shelf items are now on allocation! That bottle of small batch or single barrel goes a lot further for most folks than a similar price wine, plus it’s currently far more in vogue!

Plus craft cocktails.

I"ve been doing my part.

As GregT noted in the other thread, fashions change. Bourbon and craft beer are more “in” than wine these days.

There is no doubt the data show that there is a current down trend, but I do think that there isn’t a whole dislike of wine, but as noted, folks are drinking more different things. I actually think that the trend towards natural/biodynamic/smaller producers will long term help. it reminds me of the craft beer movement. I think younger consumers prefer to try what they think are more authentic experiences, and the mass brands don’t work for them. We see this will the shift away from Miller and Budweiser.

Now, I am not saying there was as much monopolization of wine brands, but what I hear from my friends (in their 30s) is that they want wine some times, beer others, cocktails, others.

That’s part of it.

Wine is still classier than Bourbon or craft cocktails at a fancy dinner. Wine will be fine.