TN: 2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets

• 2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (1/14/2020)
    A great nose of flinty, smoky mineral, white peach and aniseed. It is intense, linear and powerful, with great drive and cut. The finish is long and laden with chalky dry extract and a big squeeze of citrus.

Posted from CellarTracker

This sounds really nice Jeremy. Thanks.

quite the vigneron year to year. I’m anxious to try some of his ‘17s.

Thanks for the note Jeremy. I bought a lot of PYCM 17s and so far I’m glad I did.

I used to buy PYCM but have pretty much stopped as the prices have gotten too high. I like the wines a good bit, but it seems like today I can even get Ramonet for less money around here and I like Ramonet even more.

The 17 prices were pretty out of hand. I only got the two en remilly cuvees, ancengenieres and chassagne vv. best offer I saw for MP was ~300

I feel the best value for PYCM is now in the st-aubin and pernand-vergelesses bottlings. They punch well above their weight for my palate.

Do all of you feel that there is a difference between his estate and negoce bottlings? I drink them from time to time, but am not familiar with the distinction for him, as it’s not that clear from the bottles. I am quite sensitive to this for red wines, but have the feeling it matters less in the market for white wines?

The distinction is not quite so stark, as Pierre-Yves farms several of the parcels from which he then purchases the grapes, and the vines are very nicely maintained. You really have to get into it on a cuvée by cuvée basis.

I think the Sylvain-Morey Caillerets is quite good, and at 1/3 the price of PYCM (~$75) represents good QPR.