Needed recommendation winery to visit in Paso

My friend is on her way to Paso to visit a friend of hers whose husband just died. She would like a winery visit while she is there. What’s a good place to visit? She likes to drink my Saxum.

Turtle Rock in Tin City. He works with Justin Smith.

L’Aventure. Close to Saxum. Used to make the big-@ss wine style you prefer. Probably still do. Ditto Linne Calodo.

RT

Denner

Depends on what you want Jay.

Tablas Creek is more like a Napa experience - big, good wines, touristy, but probably worth it for the wines. Peachy Canyon is one of the older wineries in the area and they make friendly wines.

Herman Story and McPrice-Meyers make bigger stuff like Saxum. And there’s Turley.

Glunz is little-known but they make some nice Zins and fortified wines.

For something a little different, Clesi makes Dolcetto, Negro Amaro, Nero d’Avola, Aglianico, etc. Giornata is another that does Italian grapes, some very well.

Le Cuvier Winery is even more different, making “natural” wines that she won’t be able to buy anywhere else. Just warn her first.

I’d be interested in hearing what other folks would recommend in Paso too since I’ve always failed to find any other charmer beside Saxum…

Herman Story, Turley, and Desparada are at the top of our favorites list for visits.

Not wine related, but please let her know about this art project going on there right now!

Google Sensorio and click “images.”

Someone brought a bottle of this to one of my Berserkerfests. I took a glass, tasted it, and described it out loud. Some random Burghead overheard my description and said, “Must be McPrice-Meyers. No one else makes [I don’t recall whether they said “shit like that” or “that kind of crap.”]” I thought it was delicious.

Booker, for sure. Very similar style and some of the same grapes. I think you need an appointment, but not hard to get (at it wasn’t a few years ago).

Halter Ranch is great.

Epoch, have not been to their new tasting room but from what I’ve heard it’s in a nice spot.
Terry Hogue, Close to town, great wine and on our visit in 16 the staff was hustling. Nice visit.

Hole in the wall place to stop - Kaledos

Many good suggestions above.

+1 Turtle Rock

Plenty of good options. I’d pick L’Aventure based on quality of wine (and similarity of style to Saxum) alone, but I think Torrin offers a better tasting experience if you’re just comparing the basic tasting at either play (although, I think Torrin’s wines need to lay down longer than L’Aventure).

I also really like Epoch and Clos Solene.

I thought Booker was a bit of a disappointing (though, not bad) experience.

“Must be McPrice-Meyers. No one else makes [I don’t recall whether they said “shit like that” or “that kind of crap.”]” I thought it was delicious.

Awesome! [cheers.gif]