TN: Vieux Donjon Vertical

Notes from a Vieux Donjon vertical tasting dinner at a local restaurant.

2017 Chante Cigale Extrait blanc – mid golden colour, and a nose of honeysuckle and peach, smooth and long on palate with a hint of marzipan in the finish. Very good. (We couldn’t find a bottle of Donjon blanc)

1990 – light garnet colour, not notably browning at the edges, and a typical lightly funky with black pepper nose with some herbal content and a long smooth finish. Almost elegant now, this was my wine of the night. Classic.

1995 – darker wine with orange edges, and with definite garrigue and a very pleasant floral component (violets?) in the nose. Fully resolved and presenting a smooth polished impression with medium long finish.

1998 – riper spicy nose with raspberry and cassis, excellent fruit levels and still showing a lot of soft tannin. A very good show, and would have been my WOTN had the 1990 not eclipsed it. I tasted this on release and promptly bought two cases and this tasting confirms my early judgement of it. I intend to tuck into this in a major way from now on.

2001 – significantly funky nose (in a good way) with herbs (thyme?) and red fruit, a tad jammy but not to excess. In the mouth some lovely pure fruit notes and a smooth clean finish. I haven’t opened any of my own stash yet, but after this it will be hard not to yield to temptation.

2004 – decidedly odd nose – a spoiled bottle that we were unable to assess.

2005 – with this vintage we were back to pepper and light fruit, but also some heat, a bit briny on palate. Decent but not particularly endearing.

2006 – slightly hot nose, but good fruit on palate and no heat, medium bodied, medium length. Workmanlike presentation.

2007 – I went out and bought a bottle of this on release to see if it was going to be a ‘bad’, i.e. over ripe fruit bomb wine, or a ‘good’ Chateauneuf with balance but without the ripeness and heat of many other examples in this vintage. I concluded at that time that this would be one of the ‘good’ wines and bought a case. I now wonder if I wasn’t in error as what we saw here was a dark sweet wine with some good elements in both nose (herbal, plumy fruit etc.) but overshadowed by the ripeness on palate and an almost roasted impression. I will reserve final judgement on this wine and will live in hope that these issues may resolve by the time I retaste it, maybe five years hence.

2008 – cooler year and that showed in the nose which was mainly a smoky red fruit based one with some coffee hints. The mocha notes persisted into the finish. Drinking well now with very decent concentration and length, this was the best wine tasted since the 2001.

2009 – coffee and kirsch in the nose and on palate good fruit, ending with medium length. Very decent.

2010 – odd sweet nougat and rubber nose, but aside from that the fruit wasn’t at all roasted and the tannins were still firm but not overly hard. This may turn out quite well given some more time. Very tasty now, but resist the urge.

2017 – a quick look at this recently released vintage. Sweet nose of cassis and middling ripe fruit on palate, this is surprisingly drinkable, but doing so may deprive you of later pleasure when it smooths out and develops some secondary characteristics. It surprises me that some critics say to drink as soon as three or four years from now – I wouldn’t touch it for a decade.

This was a great tasting that highlighted my stylistic preferences for the older well aged and complex vintages over the new style of very ripe fruit bombs that often show as slightly roasted. I have a hard time understanding how critics that rated the 1990s vintages highly could do the same for those in the next decade as they are so stylistically at variance. When I say that several of the ripe 2000s vintages would find favour with those who love Australian Shiraz, that is not a compliment. We will see what the future holds. Hopefully the 2015 and 2016, which I own, will turn out well.

Must do a similar retrospective tasting of some other properties – Pegau, Vieux Telegraphe, Beaucastel…

I’ve done this same vertical sort of tasting in years past, but this time I must thank my friend David Cooper for arranging the event.

PS - some of the notes were hard t read so I may have missed a comment or two I made at the time. I always make notes with a fountain pen with washable ink and some git managed to spill some Donjon on them which made them run and smear.
(OK, so it was me…)

No 15-16?

That would have been nice, but we already had 12 vintages for 10 people and some were driving…

I remember being wowed by the 1990 in 02 when I visited the domaine. I’m not surprised it’s still going strong.

I would hope so! You wouldn’t want them walking, would you? They might stumble and fall.

Cambie says his first vintage consulting there was 2003. Sounds like he hasn’t made much difference in the house style?

Love it. 2001 VD is one of my all-time faves. I drank 18 bottles, did not have the will to let any live this long.

Hard to say. The period saw not just his involvement but also a series of hot weather vintages and how much of the stylistic change is due to which influence is hard to know. I will say that after he came on the scene, as long as there was a cooler season, the wines have remained quite decent.

Mr Cooper may drop in and offer his opinion on that subject.

Cambie lists himself as having started here in 00, though I think the change becomes noticeable with the 03, which might lead one to think that that was the date.

Think Cambie considers himself to be king of grenache. It would be instructive to open a bottle of his Halos de Jupiter Châteauneuf-du-Pape (or maybe the Adrastee) beside the same vintage of Vieux Donjon…

It would. Donjon was one of the more old-school ones, unlike some of the cleaner, fruitier CdPs. I’ve had the 2009 a few times and it was ripe, but as you say, that’s also the vintage. Your vertical would also be an interesting tasting.

I did a few tastings of wines where Rolland came in and we were able to taste side by side vintages both pre and post-Rolland. Never did it with Cambie.

VD is not the Cambiest wine in his stable. And its change may indeed be due to global warming and the number of ripe vintages since 03. But the above tasting notes show all comments on heat to occur after 03 and 03-09 are vintages with some age on them at this point. For me, there is also a noticeable decline in earthier tasting notes and a rice in riper fruit. Bill may disagree since I don’t see that distinction as evidently in his tasting notes.

I had the '01 about a week ago. Purchased on release and in my cellar since then. What a lovely wine.

Lavender and garrigue on the nose with some earth. The earthiness continued on the palate alongside elegant red fruit. Tannins were nicely resolved but still a bit of grip. Balanced and classy with subtle notes to entice the intellect and senses at the same time.

While I don’t expect it to roll over and die anytime soon I see no reason to wait since it’s in such a beautiful spot. To me it’s in a prime drinking window.

What I can’t figure out is how the ripe vintages were given similar high scores as the more classic moderate vintages. How can the same critics think that those two styles, at opposite ends of the scale, are equally meritorious?

And don’t dis the 2007 - I shall live in hope that they transform with age, until I finally give up hope and make a large batch of wine jellies with it (probably won’t need any added sugar…

I rather like the 2006 when I had it back in 2017. I’m not that familiar with Vieux Donjon so can’t comment on style varience or lack thereof. Here’s my note:

Alluring nose of spice and kirsch. Definite Grenache kirsch on the palate along with plummy, sumptuous fruit. Yet this voluptuous beauty finishes dry and invites another sip. Exceeding expectations, this was absolutely great with braised pork shoulder. Excellent.
Edit: From magnum.

Great tasting. I have drunk more 2001 Vieux Donjon than any other wine, but finished my last of 36 bottles around a year ago. It was always superb. I have not followed the estate since the mid-00s.

I still have a few 98’s and 01’s. The 98’s were case purchases at $19 a bottle.

I tasted that one on release and bought two cases (19 bb remain) as it presented soooo well. I probably paid $40 Can. for it.

1990 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Clear light red. Gamey berry fruit, warm stone, plum and some funk and black pepper. Delicious earthy dry pepper, roasted meat and dry red berry flavours and a long dry textured finish.

Still going strong. (94 pts.)

2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Clear medium light red. Very funky, black pepper, black berry, beef broth and olive nose. Dry olive brine and dark fruit flavours and a long textured finish.

My favorite vintage of Donjon, seems lke it could come from Cornas or Bandol. (94 pts.)

1995 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
From a magnum. Medium red. Herbal at first, thyme sweet plums, warm soil, black pepper and kirsch. Slightly sweet berry and kirsch flavours and a long dry warm finish. (93 pts.)

2008 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Deep red. Very funky but pure, roasted meat, pepper, menthol and coffee powder. Dry meaty and berry flavours and a dry slightly acid driven finish.

My favorite from the decade along with the 01. (93 pts.)

1998 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Clear light medium red. A bit of spicy red fruit ripeness, hints of tobacco and cherry and a bit of earthy pepper. After the 90 and 95 this seemed a bit sweet. A long dry finish though. (92 pts.)

2010 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Deep red. Very deep medium intense nose. Tire shop, black berry fruit and some real earthiness. Dry earthy berry and beef flavours and a huge tannic finish.

Lots here and not roasted. (92 pts.)

2009 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Dark red. Fairly ripe but not roasted, sundried tomato, olives. kirsch and beef broth nose. Still coming together. Big dry finish.

Huge wine, needs time, hopefully doesn’t go over the the dark side. (91 pts.)

2017 Domaine Chante Cigale Châteauneuf-du-Pape Extrait - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Clear light gold. White flowers, lemon thyme, and apple sauce nose. Dry nutty citrus flavours and a long dry almond tinged finish.

Loved this. (91 pts.)

2006 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Medium red. Slightly sweet red berry fruit and some savory notes like pepper and deli beef. Dry berry and broth flavours and a dry lighter finish.

A nice wine. (90 pts.)

2017 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Dark red. Earthy red cherry nose, deep and concentrated and of course very young. No signs of over ripeness. A long dry tannic finish but approachable. (90 pts.)

2005 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Dark red. Jammy and roasted, not as much as the 07 but this one also had a sweet roasted taste and finish. (85 pts.)

2007 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
Dark red. Intense roasted plum and kirsch nose. Overpowering and not pleasent in my opinion. The flavours are a lot more wine like. Dry red berry and pepper and the finish is very tannic.

Not my style. Will hold my last bottle and hope it improves when the massive roasted fruit dies. (82 pts.)

2004 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/27/2020)
A quick sniff on opening seemed ok, but after some time in the decanter this turned nasty. Roasted fruit, heat and old style Soy sauce. NR (flawed)

Please excuse my order of the notes above. For some reason CT wants to make me look like an idiot, something I am capable of doing on my own. I drank them in the same order that Bill did. and posted them to CT that way but…

I would also like to add that Royal Dinette and their wine manage Adam did a great job. The food was fantastic as was the service. The room wasn’t very busy as we were in the middle of a snow storm. Everyone managed to make it though and everything turned out great.

I had a bottle of 2017 blanc waiting for me at K and L but it never made it to Hollywood for my Mrs to pick up. The Extrait was a good substitute I think.

This is an interesting read - thank you.
However I will never understand why the oldest vintages come first - and the youngest last (if I´m not mistaken).
1st wine WOTN - the last one “I wouldn’t touch it for a decade”
[scratch.gif]