TN: 1998 Emmanuel Rouget Bourgogne (France, Burgundy, Bourgogne)

• 1998 Emmanuel Rouget Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (1/15/2020)
    Always a good sign…mold under capsule, squeaky cork screw through cork! I’ve had a few of these, as well as the 96, and they always a fun sip! This 98 is still in great shape! More on the delicate side than the 96…nice transparent red berry fruited wine…silky and subtle…showing more dried fruit and licorice…sours, but not as tarted up as the 96. Kind of like the dryness in this? Subtle complexities that have to be looked for…dried roses, potpourri florals, mushroom, red licorice, blood orange acidity, cigar wrapper. Minerality keeps a nice firmness and salinity…surprisingly just the slightest of sous bois showing. Finishes a little drying, yet pretty florals and earth spice. Again…how fun is it to have a 22yrd old simple Bourgogne show so well! I guess this Rouget guy, and helper Henri, know how to make good wine from any appellation! (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Does anyone know if Jayer touched these wines in 98? [cheers.gif]

Pretty sure Jayer stopped after 2005 vintage.

“In 1996, the French Government told Jayer that he must either retire or forfeit his pension. In response, Jayer transferred his vineyards to his nephew, Emmanuel Rouget, but was still responsible for half the wine being bottled under Rouget’s name until 2002.[1] Jayer’s last vintage was in 2001. Jayer died in Dijon, France of prostate cancer, aged 84.”

Great color for such an old Bourgogne.

He passed away in 2006, I am only going from memory when we sold Martine’s and Rouget back in those days, but I do remember having the discussion that he was working with Emmanuel thru 2006 harvest, not doing labor and what not, but involved how he could be.