RIP Michel Lafarge, 1928-2020

Hearing sad news out of Burgundy that Michel Lafarge has passed away. The special cuvée of Passetoutgrain the Lafarges made in his honor of his 90th birthday, from vines as old as him, takes on a new significance. Anyone who reads French and wants to learn more about his long and fascinating life should read Anne Lafarge’s La passion d’une vie (2018). I’ll be raising a glass to him this evening.

:frowning:

RIP

RIP. To me, Lafarge wines are Burgundy. Honest, soulful, pure, intense but in no way heavy, ageworthy, and a little angular and rough around the edges.

I wish the family well. From everything I have heard, good people.

Lafarge was the burg producer who woke me up to the wines of the area. I remember vividly bringing the 2007 Lafarge village burg to a small party and I was the only guy enjoying it, while everyone else doped up on Belle Glos. That Volnay tasted of dried red fruits, soil, acidity and structure. I don’t have any more of it and yet I still keep my eyes out for it when I see cellars being sold off and older Burgs offered. A memorable wine as in that moment, I was ready to receive it.

• 2007 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay (7/31/2011)
    This is a brisk, edgy wine. I gave this several hours of slox ox time, call it about 4 and drank it through this window. Lighter colored with a volume of brisk red fruit and leathery, mineral-like tannin. Lot of tension and structure packed into this wine, which I enjoyed. Only had one bottle but if I had another, I’d let it age another 5 years.

Posted from CellarTracker

I too wish the family well and my thoughts are with them today.

Such an awesome old school producer. I’ve only ever met Frederic but love his humility and approach.

RIP and thanks for the great wine!

RT

1 Like

RIP. A great man and winemaker.

Hal

Terrible news. I’ve loved the wines and all my interactions with the family. RIP.

Sad day. I hope for the family that this was peaceful and as easy as the hardship that death can be. A 1990 Chateau sure Clos des Ducs from way back when was among the wines I would consider to be a head turner in my early Burgundy days.

A wonderful man.

RIP. Respect for a long and notable life. 1985 Clos des Chenes was one of the the wines what turned me into a Burgundy lover.

Very sad news indeed. One of the highlights of my wine life was our visit with him. He was charming, fully engaged and generous. My profile pic is he a I, taken behind his place in the Clos du Château des Ducs vineyard. RIP.

Truly sad news. For a silver lining, they are one of the domaines lucky enough to have a successor who seems just as talented and passionate.

Very sad news. One of my absolute favorite producers! I have been buying his wines since the beginning of my foray into collecting wine. I will be popping a Lafarge wine soon and toasting to him.

RIP. An Icon

True. A great man. Deep condolences to the family.

1 Like

I was there in 1997 with my family and as a novice was treated gracefully and with respect by this grand old man and his son. In loving memory. RIP.

Many, many people must have stories such as this. I first met him, just to shake hands, when I first visited Burgundy as a student. And I last saw him at the Beaune market in early December, buying his groceries. Such a kind and genuine family, and what incredible wines!

us too.

so sad, but a life well lived.
RIP