TN: Chateau Musar Rouge 2012

I’ve been drinking a Ch. Musar Rouge 2012, the most recent release, over the past three days. It was actually pretty open aromatically even on day one without decanting. There is certainly a hot year character to this Musar - like jam instead of fresh fruit like it usually has. But it still has classic Musar notes like a touch of VA (not massive amounts unfortunately as I love it) and all kinds of fun savoury/earthy aspects. So it’s not all about the jammy fruit. Quite thick on the palate as well and the fruit quality again suggests a very hot year. A bit of heat on the finish (and bottle says 14,5% which is 0,5 more than I’ve seen before). But then there’s a surprising thing: the acidity is also high. This is a very good thing as it keeps it wonderfully fresh and moreish. Weirdly it doesn’t really evolve much over three days open; it doesn’t focus into one style but rather shows both the ripeness and the acidity at the same time. I like it, it shows all the good stuff I like about Musar, but I’m not sure it’s one of the great ones. That will depend on how it develops with age. If those savoury, VA, acidic aspects keep coming to the fore, I might have to revise my opinion. But if those ripe, jammy, sweet sensations come to the fore, then this won’t be a fave.

Anyone here tried the 2012 yet?

I haven’t, but I appreciate the detailed note. I will probably get a bottle to try in the near future, plus maybe a couple more. This sounds like it might be one of the earlier drinking vintages, which I’ve been realizing recently that I shouldn’t ignore as I generally have.

Been having a few bottles on various trips over to Stockholm (where it has been available for awhile now) the last few months. Agree a lot with your notes and have about a half case sitting at home which I’ll likely split 50/50 between the next year and longer term.

Haven’t tried the 2012 but I have tried all the other recent releases, and my favorites so far are 2010 and the late-released 2006.

Doug, It might be earlier drinking but honestly I don’t know. This seems a bit of a stylistic shift so I have no idea if it will follow the normal Musar ageing pattern. But that’s ok. It’s a fun wine now if you like young Musar so getting some to both drink and age sounds like the best plan. :slight_smile:

AD, good to read that my experience is corroborated.

AA, 2010 is good. Though I’m such a Musar fan that I guess they can never do anything wrong. Maybe it’s best no one listens to me on Musar because I can’t be properly critical. :smiley:

I had this in late December. I agree about what a beautiful bottle this is right now. It was empty well before the entrée was half eaten.

It’s silly how moreish Musar can be. It did require effort to drink this over three days instead of in a single evening! :smiley:

I haven’t had the 2006, 2009, 2011, or 2012. However, I was very happy with the 2008’s & 2010’s. Both are in the cellar for a good few year’s sleep. I’ve really been enjoying the '99 & '01 the last few times I opened one. I’ve not really enjoyed the 2003 as it felt like an “off” year where the Muser style was lost in a heavier extraction and higher alcohol.

Anyone checked in on 02 recently?

Nice to see you around here again!

I’ve tasted both the 2012 and 2002 recently, since I arranged a tasting of Musar 2012-1997 a little while ago.

In that lineup Musar 2012 was among the least impressive, but certainly that was in part of the wine being still so young - after all, all that Musar-y complexity comes with age and although Musar is supposed to be released when it is drinking wonderfully, they tend to be still rather clumsy upon release. However, that 2012 differed quite a bit - as you described - from the usual style. The wine was definitely very sunny, even more solar than a Musar typically is, with lots of sweet jammy fruit and a rich streak which made many people wonder if the wine actually had a bit of residual sugar left as well? (Actually, now I checked this: Alko’s pages says the vintage 2012 is 4 g/l in RS).

2002 has always been somewhat of an off vintage to me. It might be very lovely and moreish on its own, but in comparison to other vintages it came across as rather light, underwhelming and lacking complexity. The wine is nevertheless quite fresh with quite a bit of volatile lift, especially in the nose. Not really a bad wine, but among the more forgettable vintages of this millennium.

Again? I’ve never been here. I just popped into existence recently. But how was the 2011? I tried that today and it seemed a bit closed but more classic in style but strangely un-funky and low VA. I kinda preferred the 2012 for its boisterous openness and more generous VA - but these things can change with age for sure.

My mistake, I guess I can blame your decade-old joining date and familiar BACH avatar for the confusion!

However, in comparison, 2011 was more for my taste than the softer and sweeter 2012, but it’s true that 2011 was also quite clean and polished in style as well. 2010 was definitely more impressive out of the three 2010’s vintages - quite similar to the 2011 vintage, but more tightly-knit with very structure-driven style. Perhaps not as funky and volatile as some vintages, but definitely built for the long haul!

Otto, do you have notes about this tasting here or elsewhere that you could point us to? FYI, Kirk Grant has notes on a Musar vertical that overlaps some of your vintages on cellartracker.
Thanks.

Well, I do have them in my notebooks, but I’m in the process of digitizing my tasting notes to Cellartracker and I’ve yet to add them there. Most likely I will have them added by the end of January. I can do a consolidated post here once I’ve added all of them.

However, bar the 2010’s Musar vintages, you’ll find in Cellartracker my tasting notes on most vintages of Musar since 1979 with several vintages having multiple TNs. Every single vintage between 1993-2009 has at least one.

Here are all the TNs I’ve digitized thus far.

Now they are consolidated under one thread here: TN: Chateau Musar 2012-1997 vertical - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Thank you, Otto.