TN: 2013 Beta Cabernet Sauvignon Vare Vineyard (USA, California, North Coast, Napa County)

• 2013 Beta Cabernet Sauvignon Vare Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Napa County (1/16/2020)
    Lighter in body than the Beta Montecillo vineyard bottling, but there is a good concentration of aromas, flavors, and structure. Mostly red fruit notes (cranberry, cherries, red currant) and creme de cassis. Organic earth, iron, cedar, and white pepper I find the dominant non-fruit notes, but there are also a hint of a sweet note that keeps changing in the glass (strawberry Jolly Ranchers, Fruit Loops, even some caramel??).

On the palate the wine is structured, with fine tannins, and tart acidity consisting mostly of red fruits, cedar, iron, and leather. Almost reminds me of a Bedrock Monte Rosso zin in flavors (are both Vare and Monte Rosso alluvial soils?). There is some eucalyptus on finish as well.

This cabernet is unique and delicious, and I’m sure it will benefit from some further aging. If Ketan’s objective is to produce wines that show a sense of place, he has surely done so with this wine. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the great note - I haven’t cracked a Vare yet. You know what cracks me up about this wine? The label. I love it. It competes with Becklyn as the label least likely to impress a non-wine guest at the table. It also reminds me of the 1980s days of exchanging cassettes with punk rock on them. Which is cool.

A most unassuming label. It’s what’s on the inside (of the bottle) that counts.