I guess they don’t want you bringing mags

Going to a nice steakhouse with four other couples and was thinking about bringing a nice magnum. Corkage is $45/bottle, which is a bit high, but within reason given the restaurant and wine list.

So, figured maybe $90 for a magnum.

Was told $225!! A 5x multiplier!

Makes it an easy decision to just bring two 750s.

Has anyone seen that kind of markup for a magnum?

Makes no sense to me, other than not wanting people to bring magnums.

No! And I would let them hear your opinion !

That does not make sense.

Maybe the wait staff can’t handle pouring from a mag. [wink.gif]
Or the tables are too small.
champagne.gif

I’m guessing that’s a mistake or misunderstanding. But who the hell knows, there is a lot of illogical stuff (both favorable and unfavorable to the diner) in the world of corkage.

Going the other way, Sushi Noz in NYC is 100/bottle and 150 for a mag.

Call first, and ask nicely. Then, tip well.

Magnums always have an upcharge compared to a 750, so…kinda makes sense? [head-bang.gif]

Even $45 is extreme for Orange County. Mastro’s ?

A lot of places won’t let you bring mags at all. The expectation is that you’ll bring a bottle (750) and order 1 (or more) from the restaurant list. Keep in mind that booze drives profits so not surprised to hear the markup for a mag is that high.

I thought so too, so called the restaurant (first info was through email) and confirmed the $225 corkage fee.

I’ll try to talk to the somm to see if I can get their thinking on this.

Don’t know why anyone would bring a mag at that corkage fee.

Bourbon Steak.

when i first saw this i was sure it was a mistake. yikes

decant the mag into 2 750s

Ah, a perfect illustration of tranching, to create economic value. One “AAA”-rated senior bottle and one non-rated equity bottle, from the same pool, leaving a nice corkage arbitrage. [wow.gif]

I am actually bringing the same wine, but now in two bottles instead of one. It was more about the fun aspect of a magnum at dinner.

I’ll report back if I am able to talk to the somm about their thoughts of why they have a 5x multiplier for a mag.

He or she may have already read this thread.

If it’s not a mistake, then they have a reason, though it may not be the reason they give you when you ask.

It may be something like “the types of people who bring them tend to be a certain way or affect the perceptions of other diners a certain way.” They probably won’t tell you that though.

Some restaurants have this “max bottles per table no matter how many are at the table” rule. If you ask, they’ll tell you something about how they need revenue from wine sales or something.

But that doesn’t survive any scrutiny. Why are four two-person tables with two bottles each okay, but a table of 10 can have a max of four bottles? Why don’t they object to a table of 10 who don’t drink? Those people pay and tip even less than a table with 8 corkage fees.

So they tell you one thing, but the real reason is something else. Probably they don’t like having wine tasting groups, and that rule effectively keeps them out. Or something like that.

That’s really disappointing to see. I do like the restaurant for special occasions, and I bet when Paul Coker was the somm he wouldn’t have let such a charge go through…lame.

It might appear to be the same at Nick’s in Pasadena. Ate there recently, and they have a 3 750ml max but said no to the host’s magnums.