Nice Bottles Don't Necessarily Make Good Pairings: Exhibit "A".

Saturday, the 4th January 2020, was a quiet dinner out with my family in celebration of our 28th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, my 2nd son was in Ho Chi Minh on a short vacation with his old high school gang; so we were only 4 for dinner.
83A41C7E-E731-43BE-80D0-DC8F1D5F7420.JPEG
To start, and with some Oscietra caviar, Jacques Selosse Version Originale Blanc de Blancs - Intense, very enthusiastic, electric, yet deeply/ripely fruited (but with brightening acidity), quite full & forward, notable freshness, effervescence & length. Very enjoyable; but overpowered/ran roughshod over the caviar.
29A840B5-C23B-41A7-A4C4-65ED2774AA63.JPEG
Good thing Eric, a longtime wino buddy, was also dining there with his family; and sent me some of his bottle of 2006 Vincent Dauvissat Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - Well poised, well balanced, precise ripeness, acidity, minerality. Decent freshness. It was a much better pairing with the caviar.
IMG_5947.JPG
Though the Selosse VO BdB was not bad with my pasta course of Spaghettini with Prawn Beurre Monté & Salmon Roe, the mentioned Chablis was a better pairing with the pasta course…
IMG_5948.JPG
…as well as with my Seared Hokkaido Scallops. The champagne I used more for in-between sipping and for toasting to the occasion.
IMG_5949.JPG
I had my usual Seared Magret de Canard as a main course, paired with a 2000 Château Cheval Blanc, which, despite its obvious youthfulness, showed impressive structure, depth, ripeness and layering. Plush, full-bodied, well-rounded. Acid a bit on the low side for me. Entertaining hints of chocolate in the long finish. Certainly a special wine fit for a celebratory dinner; but it seemed a bit too rich & heavy (virtually ponderous) for the duck.
F0389F64-EEE3-4209-BC14-60A6611DF380.jpg
Thankfully, Eric again sent me a glass - this time a comparatively svelte, notably nicely lifted, mildly spiced, ripe cherry, raspberry & plum fruited 2009 Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits-St-Georges which made for an enjoyable (and palate refreshing) foil for the rich, earthy, deliciously fatty duck.
IMG_5951.JPG
My dessert was some Baba au Rhum…
IMG_5952.JPG
…and a bit of the Mille-Feuille.
IMG_5953.JPG
We all had nightcaps at the restaurant’s bar, where we had a nice chat with one of the restaurant’s owners - mine was a bit of comforting Irish whiskey.
IMG_5958.JPG
Nice, quiet celebration. Of course, it would’ve been better if all 3 boys were with us; but, well, we make do, right?

Congratulations on your anniversary!

Thanks for sharing your experience with these bottles. I have definitely had experiences where a “special” bottle brought to a special occasion will underwhelm vs something more “pedestrian”

Which should be the reason to drink special bottles much more often [wink.gif]

Interesting; I’ve almost always found champagne to pair well with almost anything, with the exception of very spicy foods without much fat. Perhaps selosse is an exception.

Happy anniversary Noel!
Thoughtful notes as always, too bad about your pairings-but I do love it when a so so wine really shines with food.

These wines would have made much better pairings in about 50 years.

Stop thinking of yourself as a consumer of these wines, and start thinking of yourself as merely a CARETAKER of these wines.

These wines weren’t meant to be opened by you - they were meant to be opened by your grandchildren & greatgrandchildren.

Thank you, Yao.

Yes, I definitely agree.:clinking_glasses:

In my case, it depends on the dish, as well as the champagne (as with any other wine). That said, yes, I find Selosse quite distinctive and particular.

Thanks, Craig! My own wine pairings weren’t terrible; but, as stated, the ones Eric sent over paired much better - so I was all the happier.:clinking_glasses:

Your advice on how I should think of myself vis-à-vis my bottles, including on what wines I should drink or keep for my descendants, is well noted. Rest assured that I will give your advice all the consideration it merits.

Happy anniversary Noel! A lovely occasion to share with your family, even if one son was “in Ho Chi Minh on a short vacation” – a phrase that brought me up short as a man of a certain age who finds it jarring. Happy that things have changed for the better since the days of my youth

Happy anniversary from here too.

And I like this:

I had my usual Seared Magret de Canard as a main course

A man of good taste!

Congrats! Thank you for posting. I’m a big fan of pinot noir with duck. Life is good when you’re sharing good food/wine with family (and good friends are sending over more wines). Cheers!

I’m newer to the board so haven’t seen that many of your posts but have enjoyed the ones I have. Your posts are a big part of what makes life good - enjoying good food and drink with the ones we care most about. Happy for you that you had a great night even if some of the pairings weren’t optimal. Happy anniversary.

So the trick is to know where Eric is dining? champagne.gif

Seriously, while for me wine comes alive with food, I do wonder if we sometimes over think it. Certainly it’s not good if wine rides roughshod over a dish or vice versa.

I love this kind of thread…

When looking for magic, the honesty of it is part of that thrill. Certain of us will fake it a bit on a great name, but the more one is in this world of wine and flavors, we generally move towards honest reflection… if, on occasion, tactfully so :slight_smile:.

Hi, Neal, and thanks!

I’ve never been to Vietnam myself, though my wife has a couple of times in the past with her (now late) mom, and sister. Two of my sons have been there as well (the eldest spent almost 3 months in Vung Tau for work last year; but would spend his days off in HCM). My siblings have vacationed there too. From all accounts, it’s fun, interesting enough (for them), food is good, and everything in general is cheap.

I’m not as gregarious or active as they are, and much prefer vacationing in cool climes (or, at the very least, places not as warm as the Philippines). Thus, unless work brings me to Vietnam, I doubt I’ll be going there anytime soon.

Best,

N

Thank you, Greg. A compliment indeed coming from you!

Best,

N

Thanks, Viet! Yes, most (or, at least half) of my nicer bottles get opened during meals with my family. It helps that my wife and children also properly appreciate wine.

Best,

N

Hello, Ian; and, thanks! Yes, definitely, wine is meant to be shared with family and good friends. I can’t imagine opening any nice bottle alone.

Best,

N

Certainly couldn’t hurt!

Actually, Manila has barely a handful of restaurants whereat I (and wino friends such as Eric) bring special bottles; so we wind up bumping into each other pretty regularly when out and about. One of those restaurants is “M Dining”, which, in my opinion, has the best stemware and wine service in the Philippines; and, Eric happens to be one of the two major owners thereof.

Seriously, while for me wine comes alive with food, I do wonder if we sometimes over think it. Certainly it’s not good if wine rides roughshod over a dish or vice versa.

Yes, I readily admit to having been one of those who would over-think pairings. Thankfully, I outgrew it years ago. It’s still a consideration, of course; but I’m a lot more relaxed about it now.

Best,

N