Paris Bound in February

Alright Berserkers, I need your input for our next trip. We’re heading to Paris the week of Feb 16. Family of four planning to do all of the usual touristy stuff like the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Versailles, etc…

I would love any recommendations anyone has for Paris food, sights, etc… We’re staying in Paris the entire time, no plans to do side trips to any wine regions.

In addition, any wines that can only be purchased in Europe? I’ve been researching for the past few months, and I’ve come across only a few wines that are hard to get in the states like Clos Joliette, and some champagnes. I’m sure there are additional wines but I haven’t been able to generate a comprehensive list.

Thanks
Demian

A lot of wines, upon the tariffs being imposed. Cheeses, too.

See travel and epicurean exploits

A couple of quick thoughts:

1.Pay the extra money for the skip the lines tours (and book them now f=if you haven’t) for all of the major attractions you intend to see
2. I know you said you weren’t doing a wine trip, but Reims is only a 45 min high speed train (To Champagne-Ardenne station) from downtown. Easy to go, check out the countryside on the ride, get lunch, hit one of the Champagne houses (recommend Veuve, Taittinger and Ruinart), see the town and get back. Don’t know how old your Kids are but imagine they will like seeing the caves.

Skip the Eiffel Tower. Get a pic in front, dodge the hustlers selling cheap souvenirs, and by all means don’t stay in the neighborhood (boring and really all about tourists). No reason to stand in a long cold line (yes shorter in Feb) and go through security and pay a fair amount of euro just to look at the city from 500 ft in the air. The real beauty of Paris is up close and personal.

Agree with the side trip to Reims. Gorgeous cathedral and the Champagne houses are historic and interesting. Your family probably will enjoy an nice warm train at some point to break up the chilly stomping around the streets of Paris.

Notre Dame is closed, and honestly you are not missing much. Dark, gothic, and there are other cathedrals similar. The best part of Notre Dame is climbing the front two towers and seeing Paris from that vantage point. Unfortunately not going to happen for a few years.

DO go to the Isle du Cite and take in Sainte Chapelle. It has shorter lines and is absolutely breathtaking. Try to catch it on a sunny day if possible. Thank me later…

Quit worrying about trying to drag a bunch of bottles home in luggage. I have done it and it is really a hassle. Getting through CdG with minimal luggage is a major project as it is. Maybe try to pick one or two bottles for the memories. Many wine shops in Paris also know that a million tourists will try to bring back a rare bottle that is difficult to get in the states. I honestly think they hide those in the back for regulars.

Enjoy your trip, if you want to see a lot of stuff in popular museums it is worth it to get the carte musee (museum pass) at any tourist info booth or even in the Paris Subway. Then just walk to the front of the line to get into places like the Louve and Musee Orsay.

Nothing better than a Paris Bistro on a cold day!

Demian, the best deal I found on wine were in Champagne at our various appointments–I didn’t buy anything in Paris, as lot of what I saw was available back home. When we came home, I remember packing 9 bottles from Champagne into one of the suitcases, which all made it back to the US just fine.

As for dining and as mentioned above by Tom, the Epicurean Exploits forum is a good place to peruse. The best meals I had in Paris were here: en. We ate there two days in a row, as I was so struck by how good the first meal was. Amazing, and when we are back in Paris this year, for sure I am doing two meals there again.

Have not been there myself, but several people have told me that Semilla (in agreement with Frank above) is very good. Seems to be the best restaurant in the 6eme? Seems that Comptoir du Relais has lost a bit of their luster.

Also, I was there a few years ago, but Les Enfants Rouge was very very good. Most of the clientele do seem to be Asian, but when I was there the cuisine seemed still primarily French (had a venison stew typical of the Sologne region near Orleans)…

Agree on the Champagne (Taittinger) visit. The kids will certainly like those deep caves (as long as you don’t need to pay for their tours).

In the the 6eme Ambassade de Bourgogne near is still a great wine bar. There is another one right around the corner (Rouge ou Blanc) that was good, if not quite the breadth of Ambassade …

This
There is a whole sub-forum dedicated to travel.

definitely suggest going to the top of the hill of Montmartre. just a fantastic view of the city.

If it is maybe a one time family trip to Paris, I think a trip to the Eiffel Tower is a must for the kids especially. It’s something they won’t forget, judging from my two and my grandson. We’ve been to Paris twenty times and stay near Rue Cler, a great pedestrian food market street, and the Eiffel Tower still amazes us. The Ateliers des Lumieres has a great video in a big warehouse and is a good off the beaten track visit but get tickets ahead of time. Sainte-Chapelle is worth it - go on a sunny day. And for museum visits including Sainte Chapelle get a museum pass - you can skip the lines and go to the front. Chateau de Vincennes is a metro ride to a Chateau on the outskirts with interactive iPads for kids. A day tour to Versailles of course or Vaux le Vicomte which Versailles was built following a visit there by the king. Jacquemart Andre is a beautiful museum in an 18th century house. L’Orangerie in the Tuilleries to see the large Monet paintings. Catacombs if you are claustrophobic or squeamish, but it’s a long walk in a small tunnel to the bones.

Yeah, yeah, Eiffel tower, Notre Dame, museums, food, wine, that’s all fine. But the main reason to go to Paris is for chocolate ice cream at Berthillon on Ile Saint-Louis. Best in the world.

oh also the Louvre is great but we enjoyed the Musee de Orsay significantly more. more modern, easier to navigate, cool building, less overwhelming

Skip going up in the Eiffel Tower/Arc de Triomphe and take photos in front of them. The rooftop at the Galeries Lafayette is another great view/photo op (especially at sunset).

I highly recommend arranging for a day trip out to Champagne.

I wouldn’t waste any time hunting down wines, I’d focus on as many long lunches at restaurants with great wine lists and drink the hard to find wines focusing on white and red Burgundy.

For old school dishes in a casual setting, L’Assiette in the 14th arr. If the following are still offered (they were this past September/October), don’t miss them:
172CF680-D81E-4DD4-9C3F-448757B808BD.jpeg
Escargots en Pot et Croûton Doré
C67FC38C-5B30-4E70-AEA7-6034EC4786D3.jpeg
Pâté en Croûte de Pintade (guinea fowl)
B01877B7-980B-4459-9194-5E29FF9DD720.jpeg
Rillettes de Jarret de Cochon Confit et Foie Gras
DF406E2E-72C0-4645-BD58-CAA5E2764199.jpeg
Of course, the house specialty Cassoulet Maison - for sharing as the serving is rather large.
F1156DFD-D6D0-417F-8DAC-3B274F2AEF65.jpeg
Canard Colvert Rôti, Sauce a Porto

In any event, enjoy!

My wife and I were there last November. Such an amazing walking city and it’s hard to go wrong with so much history around. The Orsay is a must. Also try to get a table at Clown Bar. The homies on this forum are correct that the food is amazing and very well priced.

Have a blast just walking around and getting lost. Can’t think of a better city to do in!

The kids will love it! At least if they’re adults.

We spent a week in Paris last September. I wrote up the trip as a CellarTracker story. The site and restaurant reviews may be helpful. We took a side trip to Champagne that was well worth the effort.

Cheers!

Colin [cheers.gif]

Visiting London, Galway, Dublin and Paris

Not to be a wet blanket and hope you and your family have a wonderful trip, but the strikes and protests are disrupting things. Perhaps those on the board who have traveled there recently can advise on contingencies.