Honoring Michel Lafarge

To honor Michel we had 1991 Volnay Clos des Chenes tonight.
A 91 for a 91 year old.
Great color. Nose black Cherries, licorice…
Cherry, cassis, licorice, touch of tannin.
Beautiful , tip of the hat to Michel

A legend. RIP.

I know what I will be opening Saturday and Sunday evenings. Condolences to the family.

Unfortunately, no '91s in my cellar…but so appropriate for 91 great years.

-mark

Sounds great Mike.

I opened a 2013 Clos du Chateau des Ducs last evening. I have visited Lafarge twice and met M. Lafarge briefly the first time, around 10 years ago. Unfortunately I have no suitably aged bottles.

The '13, no big surprise, is clean and elegant, red fruit and iron character – but to be honest, not showing a great deal today. It was worth opening for the memories of the visits, but just for drinking, there is little point now.

RIP. A long life well-lived. My wife and I visited the domaine about eight years ago, and while we unfortunately did not meet Michel, Frédéric Lafarge was a very kind and gracious host. Frédéric and Chantal have also been happy to chat at length at the couple of Paulée events I’ve attended – they really are very charming, lovely and genuine people, and the wines are fantastic. We’ll open a bottle of Lafarge in tribute.

I opened a 1999 Lafarge Ducs on Saturday. Dark, meaty, full bodied and young. A little reticent at first but after an hour it started to blossom. M. Lafarge made a great wine - RIP.