Another tribute wine to Burt Williams: 94` Williams Selyem Sonoma County Pinot Noir

The opportunity to extend the celebration of life for dear friend, Burt Williams, continues especially when his daughters visit Santa Barbara which has happened for each since he passed in mid December.

As I did with Burt, I have treasured the moment of opening up some of his wines from my cellar with them and most recently this one with Katie and it showed beautifully.

Sonoma County was his so called entry level wine which sold for the least of any of the releases; when one realizes it was made from fruit sourced from Rochioli East Block, Coastlands, Allen and Summa Vineyards, it’s a bit more than just another Pinot and on this evening, it definitely was confirmed.

The ullage was low neck which is a bit low for these wines as Burt always filled each bottle to the cork; however, Katie shared there could be exceptions in that at the end of the day when some of those in the bottling line were getting tired, some would get careless and not get the fill complete and once recognized, they would get those bottles to take home which seems like an incentive to f*#k up. I think I’d be a tad careless on a bottle or 2. Oops! Of course, the “lower” fill could be a result of its handling since release, but no evidence of any issue was present for this bottle.

1994 WILLIAMS SELYEM SONOMA COUNTY PINOT NOIR- it was cinnamon red in color which matched the nose perfectly as cinnamon and spice highlighted the red raspberry and strawberry fruit; all continued on and was joined by a bit of red cherry on the palate and stayed the course to the end; it was medium to full bodied and was exactly the same wine over an hour later from the initial tasting. Truly amazing for a “basic” new world 25+ year old Pinot.

Thanks again Burt for another stellar wine experience. There’s about 60 more forthcoming.

Cheers,
Blake
AA926B80-2038-4600-988F-A7ED8E753875_1_201_a.jpeg
4046C8BD-D705-42CD-A4B5-711783FACD88_1_201_a.jpeg