TN's: 2006 Lafarge Chateau des Ducs and 2005 Williams Selyem Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

Its been quite some time since I posted a TN here, but had a couple of enjoyable bottles last night and figured I’d share.

2006 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru Clos du Château des Ducs
Drank alongside a 2005 Williams Selyem Sonoma Coast. This, by comparison, was darker in color and a less murky. Cool, dark fruit tones…my daughter called out “raspberry and cookie dough” which I totally got. There was also a minty note, almost toothpaste like that I see I referenced as menthol in my last bottle from 2013. Loads more backbone and structure than the WS, and starting to turn velvety with bottle age. There’s certainly some fruit to be found in this bottle, but I think it is hiding right now as I’ve come to expect from 2006’s lately. I have one more bottle and will try to hold on until these ‘06s start opening back up (fingers crossed?).

2005 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
Drank alongside the 2006 Lafarge Chateau des Ducs. Redder, murkier color than the Ducster, with a fresh, ripe red cherry nose and palate. There was a bit of pine-spice and earth notes on the finish that lengthened things out a bit and was enjoyable. A touch sweet, but not cloying or over the top, with a slight bit of a fruit roll-upy tone. Seemingly at its apogee and I don’t see further positive development ahead, so it seems I caught it at the right time. Speaks very much of its appellation. I feel like after having the few W-S pinots that I’ve had now, I should be a buyer.

I have a few 06 Lafarge caillerets, thinking I’ll hold for a bit.

Lafarge passed away last week