TN: 2000 Ducru-Beaucaillou, St. Julien

First-ever tasting note posted here, so please be gentle. [thankyou.gif]

2000 Ducru-Beaucaillou, St. Julien
I was sworn into the Washington State Bar Association yesterday, so my wife and I pulled this out to celebrate. Decanted for a little over two hours and enjoyed for another two, this wine was just beautiful. On the nose, black cherry and blackcurrant, cedar, tobacco and black olive were absolutely pouring out. One of the most ebullient, expressive noses on a wine I’ve ever enjoyed.

On the palate, it was rich, concentrated and mouth-fillingly (is that a word?) lush. Following from the nose on the palate were the above-mentioned dark fruits, as well as a hint of blueberry and honey on the front end, as well as savory elements such as more cedar and a bit of leather. Beautiful, long-lasting finish. Based on my admittedly limited experience with high-end Bordeaux, I would have guessed that, based on this wine’s richness and concentration, it was from Pauillac, not St. Julien. “Dialed in” and “majestic” were my final thoughts. What a fantastic bottle of wine.

Sigh . . . .

You just passed the bar and are already dropping legalese in wine notes. [wow.gif]

Fantastic on both counts. Congrats. The note is great, I’d drink it!

Thank you! And hah, I hadn’t even noticed the legalese. I guess the hour in the courtroom yesterday seeped into my brain.

I concur in my colleague’s hereinbefore mentioned disdain (“Disdain”). I did like the note, however, including but not limited to the “honey on the front end,” which is where honeys are best featured.

Congrats on the very special occasion (the first TN, not that ol’ bar thing :slight_smile: )

Cheers, Neal – will do my best to keep all Bluebook citations in future TNs to a minimum. champagne.gif

1 Like

Congratulations on passing the bar, Alex! And for the tasting note. We have a couple tucked away and this is a good data point for the wine.

Ed

Appreciate it! And yeah, to my palate the Ducru was drinking beautifully. Hope you enjoy your next bottle.

Congratulations on passing the Bar.

Thank you! [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the enthusiastic note, Alex! And congratulations on passing the bar! [cheers.gif]

Durcu Beaucaillou has always been one of my favorite wines from the left bank and I love them most for their amazing fragrance, delicacy, and subtlety. From my experience, Ducru takes a long time to come around in more tannic years like 2000 and therefore I have not opened a 2000 yet, but the 1999, 2001, and 2004 offer superb drinking now.

First-ever tasting note posted here, so please be gentle. > [thankyou.gif]

There are only nice ladies and gentlemen here on this forum. [wink.gif]

Congrats and nice note!

Thanks for the note and congratulations on passing the bar.

A good wine and your note captured the property’s style with the expressive bouquet and richness in the palate. Definitely not subtle, imo, especially since mid 90s vintages that I’ve had.

Thanks so much for all the kind words, everyone – you all sure know how to make a new kid feel welcomed.

Not sure I’m allowed to post on this thread since I’m not a lawyer - but I appreciated this and your other TNs on CT of wines we have in common. Nice notes!
But it’s concerning that we will soon have another country lawyer pontificating on Cantemerle and Lanessan! [snort.gif] Stay in Seattle! Don’t move to the country! Jk, jk. Congrats on the bar exam keep the TNs coming.

Hah, no plans for country lawyering, although I did grow up in central Washington so a seersucker suit, suspender-grabbing and “I do declaring” all remain a possibility. I’ll keep an eye out for you on CT. [cheers.gif]

1 Like